4.0 out of 5 stars The perfect summer read!
Published 21 months ago by Fabulous Book Fiend

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit predictable but good
I enjoyed reading this even though it was quite predictable. Enjoyable for a summer holiday read and I would recommend it for that.
Published 20 months ago by Alexia

4.0 out of 5 stars The perfect summer read!, 10 July 2013
This review is from: The French for Love (Paperback)
Review: this is the perfect summer read! It was just the right amount of warmth and exotic location for this British summer. I loved the idea of the story, someone escaping to France and it was just as enjoyable as I expected! We are introduced to Gina and her hopeless situation straight away, and I loved her as a character. She is a strong person who knows that she has to get away in order to sort her life out. I like the fact that she has lost her job and so she is trying to further her education as well-an admirable quality!

At the start of the book, the plot does tend to jump from time zone to time zone, moving back to moments before Gina had lost her job and before she had come out to France. Initially I found this to be a little confusing, but after a while the book got into its flow and told Gina's story in a more chronological way. The ending of the book was a slight down point for me, however, I felt like the events that happen at the end of the story, where everything is being resolved, could have been stretched over a longer time, it all felt a bit rushed. In other words, I think that this book could have been another 50 pages or so long. Although this part of the book did feel a little hurried, it didn't affect my enjoyment overall...

Of course the real star of this book is the setting! I love books with well-described settings and this is no expception to that. The French landscape is described in detail, as is the house/villa that Gina has inherited from her aunt. As there is building work going on in the house and as Gina travels around the region visiting people and tasting wines, we are treated to even more fabulous description-lucky us!

I would definitely recommend this book as a summer read to anyone. The heat of the sun here would combat any british summer blues, or indeed compliment an unexpected heat wave. This is definitely one to pack in your suitcase. A little bit of romance, a nice glass of wine and a wonderful summer setting. A good summer read!

5.0 out of 5 stars I felt like I was there, 11 July 2013
Carlos (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The French for Love (Kindle Edition)
Fiona Valpy's The French for Love is the kind of summer book whose imagery lingers after the story has come to its conclusion. She achieves that most difficult of writerly tasks in giving you a cast of vivid and engaging characters and placing them in a context that is utterly believable. It's the detail in the descriptive passages, almost documentary in their precision, that set the scenes in which the human dramas of new starts, new horizons and new romance unfold.

These dramas twist and intertwine. They reach into the past and the future in the person of Gina Peplow. Without giving anything away, the great themes of human existence play themselves out as the stories (for there are more than one) unfold.

The French for Love has that extra something that is often missing in contemporary novels in these wikipedia-instant-expert times: authenticity. The prose is as bright and vibrant as the French countryside the reader is transported to. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!!, 11 July 2013
This review is from: The French for Love (Kindle Edition)
A believable heroine tells the universal story of the complexity of relationships and the difficulty of finding love for a 21st century women which is all the more enhanced by the beautiful setting of the vineyards of south west France.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing first novel, 11 July 2013
This review is from: The French for Love (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book! The characters feel like friends and I find myself wondering what they are doing while I am at work or ironing. Couldn't put it down! I have read The French House by Nick Alexander too, but feel that this is a league above - better storyline and a fascinating insight into the wine-making industry. I hope her next book will build on what she has shared with us here. If you haven't got this on your Kindle click "Buy now" - you won't regret it! I might even have to buy a hard copy as I love the cover!
Good luck with your next book Fiona - looking forward to it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 6 Oct. 2014
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The French for Love (Kindle Edition)
The synopsis is certainly not original and I have seen these ‘relocations and fresh starts’ many times in other books. However, Fiona Valpy has done the MOST important thing in my opinion. She has managed to weave a tale that is descriptive enough to actually take me to France in my mind and picture the village and house, as well as giving me the main character Gina who I just fell in love with. If you can get the setting right, and characters that are likeable that’s half the battle.

Gina seems to have lost everything in a very short space of time including her boyfriend, her job and now her aunt. Her aunt has left her ramshackle farmhouse in France to Gina and she decides to give life in France a try…after all she has nothing holding her back now. We watch as she makes a fresh start and decides to take time out and study, as well as adjust to a slower pace of life. When the roof on the farmhouse is damaged in high winds, her wonderful neighbour Mereille involves her four sons in the repairs.

In the meantime, Gina is discovering that her Aunt Liz had secrets of her own. Gina starts to delve and soon realises that there was more to her Aunt than she originally thought. This along with the wonderful storyline that involves Gina working on her Masters of Wine qualification makes for a very interesting read. This book was a wonderful and uplifting read, just perfect for a beach, a plane or even a comfy sofa. It will transport you to the beautiful area in Southern France and give you a much needed break from real life.

I am so pleased I got around to reading this book and was especially pleased at the Epilogue (I do love it when authors add this in). I am now totally ready to read another book in this series and cannot wait.

• It may be worth noting that the ‘French Series’ is not a continuation with the characters, merely a series of books based in France *

5.0 out of 5 stars Top marks, 29 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The French for Love (Kindle Edition)
A great read, super story line, really enjoyed every page.

Of course a real romantic story and super for holidays and as a girls read, but still interesting and unputdownable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Romance ... and France - a good combination, 19 Aug. 2013
J Dunning "Jane" (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The French for Love (Kindle Edition)
I've just finished reading 'The French for Love' and really enjoyed it. I've read many books set in France during the summer and this was the best. The author certainly seems to have a way with words - very handy for a writer! If you like books set in France with a potential romance thrown in for good measure, you'll love this.

5.0 out of 5 stars chiclit at its best, 14 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The French for Love (Kindle Edition)
although supposedly am one of the older generation (no no) really enjoyed this book from start to finish. Emotions described perfectly and put a smile on my withered face. haha. Read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars well written, 2 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The French for Love (Kindle Edition)
really enjoyed this book, its very descriptive and kept me interested, I love reading books that as well as having a good story line give an insight into a different country

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit predictable but good, 18 Aug. 2013