4.0 out of 5 stars to old to learn HA
Published 16 months ago by patrick moran

Bought this laptop 15 months ago and have had endless problems with it. One night it will be working just fine and the next it will play up and refuse to turn on, surf online or even open simple programmes.

If I had the opportunity, I would not have bought this laptop.

Frustrating beyond belief.
Published 2 months ago by Gareth James Severs

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars to old to learn HA, 6 Nov. 2013
This review is from: HP Compaq CQ58-d01SA 15.6-inch Laptop (AMD Dual-Core 1.48GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, DVD-RW, Windows 8) (Personal Computers)
purchased this laptop after my other one got damaged and boy what a difference - my old cq58 was windows 7 this one is windows 8 it was a nightmare to start with getting use to the navigation (still annoying when playing a game and it drags the menu bar on screen for no reason) but the machine does all the tasks required without to many problems and the battery is more robust so all in all a good purchase

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Buy, Does it All, 27 Feb. 2014
I have the '4GB, 64 bit' version of this and I am delighted with it. I find this quick, both on and off the internet, and I have many programmes, photos and documents loaded onto it. I use this for work, so reliability and performance are important to me and this delivers it all. The keyboard is a pleasure to use, the computer weights little and is slimline when closed, so easy to carry around. It can also be closed while still on to move around, and I find this useful. I would recommend this for any use. There is no need to buy additional things for this computer as it does all you could need for normal use. There is a front facing camera, so VOIP works well with good audio both speaking and listening.
It shows films well, plays music and good quality photos too. There is a DVD/CD tray, SD card reader, modem connection, (although this has wi-fi too), speaker, headphone connections and more. The mains lead is long enough to reach a socket without an extension. Battery life varies - I can get 4 - 6 house use, but at times this only gives me about 3 hours. It seems to depend what I am doing, but there is ample warning and you have a small visible counter that tells you how long is left.

I also bought a carry case, HP Value Top Load Case for 16.1 inch Notebook HP Value Top Load Case for 16.1 inch Notebook. This fits well and has enough space for any extra items I wish to carry.

For work I have certain software requirements that are heavy on space and I spend all day working on this laptop, so have added a few extras to make my life easier - these are unnecessary but are simple my personal preference:

It plays music well, but the speakers are not great, so I use cheap, portable, external ones which give good enough sound. Pop Up Portable Mini Travel II Capsule Rechargeable Speaker For Iphone 5, iPod, Ipad and MP3 Players

There are 3 USB ports, but as I use a wireless mouse rather than the pad, HP X3000 Wireless Mouse HP X3000 Wireless Mouse (this is personal preference as the pad works perfectly too), with my speakers attached and the external drive, there are no more ports - I bought a Belkin 4 Port Travel Hub Belkin 4 Port Travel Hub. There are others with more ports, but I find 4 more than enough. Again this is small enough to keep the machine easily portable.

I also use a portable external hard drive, both as a backup and to store large files and programmes. Samsung M3 1TB USB 3.0 Slimline Portable Hard Drive - Black Samsung M3 1TB USB 3.0 Slimline Portable Hard Drive - Black The laptop works well from this and there is no noticeable slowing down or noise.
Unfortunately this Compaq, (and just about every other computer), comes with Windows 8, which I hate as I feel this is NOT suited to a normal computer, but may do better with a touch-screen.

1.0 out of 5 stars One night it will be working just fine and the next it will play up and refuse ..., 17 Jan. 2015

If I had the opportunity, I would not have bought this laptop.

Frustrating beyond belief.

1.0 out of 5 stars terrible machine, 26 Jan. 2014
this is truly an irritating machine, I will be in the middle of typing and the screen will suddenly zoom in or out. I will be on the internet and the page will disappear. I am not sure what I am doing to make the settings change. It will happen in the middle of typing a sentence. Not yet been able to spend half an hour on this machine without this happening. I wish I had bought another machine and can't believe it has had good reviews as I met someone else who had bought this machine and got the exact same problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as new, 11 Jan. 2015
Good value for money and it looks as good as new, you wouldn't know it's a reconditioned unit. I had to pay extra to have Microsoft Office added.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent laptop, 21 Feb. 2014
Very happy with laptop, performs really well straight out the box. Very quiet machine too. Would recommend this at that price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 Sept. 2014
Brought my laptop back to life!

5.0 out of 5 stars University Present, 17 Sept. 2013
I brought this Compaq CQ58 for my son as he is off to Uni soon, it was a surprise for him and was he surprise he was very happy he unpack an log on he set up his spread sheet an everything he love his laptop Thank you Amazon

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 Feb. 2015
as described

5.0 out of 5 stars HP Compaq CQ58-d28SA 15.6-inch Laptop, 27 Dec. 2013
Well packaged and delivered on date stated. The keyboard is easy to use, however the mouse part is very sensitive to the touch.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›