5.0 out of 5 stars Epson winner again
Opened the box, plugged it in, and away it went, what you would expect from an Epson printer, got two of them now, one at home and one in the office.
Published 17 months ago by Stephen Nichols

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly made, badly functioning
This is the worst printer I have ever owned (I have had 3 Canon and one HP printer all of which were comparable). A paper jam on first usage dislodged and damaged the flimsy foam paper guides. Whose idea was it to make paper guides less durable than paper?
Published 12 months ago by steve

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly made, badly functioning, 21 April 2014
This review is from: Epson Expression Home XP-212 All-In-One Printer with Wi-Fi (Accessory)
The printer usually fails to register when a cartridge is replaced. It just took me an hour of switching on and off, etc to get it to recognise a single new cartridge.
The cartridge replacement process is overly complex, the cartridges difficult to get in and out.
The ink is extremely expensive, about half the cost of the printer at full price.
Highly not recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Epson winner again, 11 Nov. 2013

1.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed, 12 April 2014
It was fine when I first got it but after a few weeks it's suddenly not accepting card stock. Since I bought it for card making, it's currently useless to me. Quite gutted to be honest.

1.0 out of 5 stars stopped working, 2 May 2014
it's stopped working after just a few months. it no longer recognises that the cartridges are in properly. it is really annoying and is just sat in the corner now. i expect ill just throw it away when i prepare the study for painting. very disappointed and Epson are useless.

1.0 out of 5 stars Three Failed Epsons, 19 Dec. 2013
This printer was to replace my 10 year old printer to match the print quality and speed provide of my old printer and additionally provide me a WiFi connection and a scanner.

I also hoped to have a pleasurable trip down memory lane. Many years ago now I had sterling service from Epson dot matrix printers churning through piles of tractor feed paper at what seemed then like an amazing speed. They sounded like demented bees for sure with those metal pins hitting a carbon tape at presumably the speed of a bees wings but that's dot matrix printing!

So out of the box, connect to my PC (Windows XP) with a USB cable and the installation went fine. Sure Epson don't provide a USB cable but I've accumulated several over the years.

And so to print. Disappointment! The colour print quality isn't as good as my old printer [which was by no means "top of the range"]. Went through the maintenance routines of checking the nozzles and alignment and cleaning the heads to no avail. Speed? Well to actually print a typical page I had an improvement over my 10 year old veteran but the whirring and clattering time before it actually got round to printing seemed interminable. So I took it back to the shop.

I provide some detail of my experience because I believe the shop was following the terms of their agreement with Epson on returned goods:-

"Ah - have you opened the print cartridges sir?"
"Well yes: how would I know about the print quality otherwise?"
"Because you've opened the cartridges there's nothing we can do sir."
I persisted and so the customers services man decided that he would "do a copy" of something to at least have a look at the print quality. I hadn't tried that. Out came a copy - in monochrome yellow - not in the least like the original.
"Ah you have emptied the print cartridges sir"
"No I haven't"
"Yes you have"
[several times]
"Ah well sir you'll have to buy a new set of cartridges for us to test. [that'll be £24.99]"
"No I won't"
[several times]
Customers services realised that they had another Epson in a cupboard behind the counter - that makes two returned Epsons today. - so they tried cartridges from that one. Press "copy" out comes the monochrome yellow copy again.
So they agree to refund me for the printer.

So just one star for the Epson Expression Home XP-212

I had a discussion with Epson about my problems. Their chat line support is free and they provide you with a typescript of it by email straight afterwards - very good. Its main problem is that it's office hours only so if you work that could be a bit of a problem.

The Epson XP605 Expression Premium with 5 print cartridges and their new Claria Premium Ink will they assure me provide a better print quality. I bought one just over a month ago- it's a disaster. It's back at the shop.

THAT'S THE THIRD FAILED EPSON - for more look at my review of it which I've also added to the XP-610 because this has now replaced the XP 605.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed, 5 May 2014
This is a 'tinny' printer, not really up to private use even. It feels fragile, takes ages to print, won't take compatible cartridges - printer refuses to print and you cannot bypass it. (Ok, I know you're not supposed to use them, but have never had problems with them with other makes in 20 years) .
Very unimpressed with it. An expensive mistake for me, but I won't buy an epson again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst printer I have ever owned, 6 Feb. 2014
Having worked with epsons over the course of my accounting career and hating them you can imagine my shock when I found out my wife bought this one because it was on sale at Tesco. It so let me explain the problems:

1- By far and away the ink loading process is the most frustrating thing i have ever encountered. It never works the first time because customer service tells me that there might be bits of packaging on the green control panel on the ink cart. After wiping it down sometimes it goes into its home, other times i have to turn off and unplug for ten minutes before i get it to work

2- Using 4 different colour cartridges like you do is a scam. A tech guy told me on the phone to that after black falls down to about 60 percent it starts to steal the colour. I wondered why and I found out shortly. It’s because you have to keep your other 3 colour cartridges full to make your black one work. Even though I had 3 full cartridges (including black) I could not print a black and white word document, simply because you wanted me to go out and buy another cyan cartridge. I have had plenty of other printers that will print only black if the colour is out.

3- After loading the cartridge four out of 5 times i prints very spotty. This causes me to run a nozzle check and clean the heads which causes even more ink to disappear. I lost about 25 percent of my black ink cartridge doing it once.

4- The Wi-Fi is garbage

5- I have had to call numerous times (as you must have on record) and I was told to go get it repaired (2 months after I bought it). The worst part is you CHARGE ME for these constant calls.

6 I probably spent at least £160 on cartridges printing a small amount of Christmas cards for relatives, some home office documents trying to get my leave to remain, and school projects. All include colour ink I am aware of this but at the rate it goes and at the price you charge is robbery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good printer, 15 Jan. 2014
I found this printer fits all my needs and not at a bad price either. The set-up can be a little difficult but after you get round that it's an ideal printer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Repacement printer., 4 Jan. 2014
Got this because my HP printer stopped working AGAIN! I bought an Epson scanner a while ago on Amazon and the quality of the build, packaging, posting and the scanning are all FAB.
Epson is well worth its money, I will not go back to HP for owt, eva agen!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great printer with WiFi, 27 Nov. 2013
This is my first printer to have wifi connection, and I'm very pleased with it. I can print what i need from my laptop or smartphone from downstairs, and have the printer upstairs away from the kids little hands.
Very fast printing, and good use of ink levels.
It does take a while to set up the wifi connection, as there isnt very clear instructions in the box, i had to google it.

Epson Expression Home XP-212 All-In-One Printer with Wi-Fi