5.0 out of 5 stars Programming in C++11
This is not a book for novice programmers. It's also not a book about the differences between C++98 and C++11. Neither is it a traditional style tutorial or just reference book, though it has an index good enough to make it usable as such.

So what is it then?

Published 7 months ago by Alan Lenton

3.0 out of 5 stars Sorry Bjarne, but you're no writer
I've got all editions of this book.
I hoped this one would be better but it's not really (apart from the code font).

Like everyone else (probably) I bought this book to learn about C++11.
Published 14 months ago by Mr E. McConnell

5.0 out of 5 stars Programming in C++11, 19 Jan 2014

So what is it then?

Its avowed purpose is to provide intermediate and advanced C++ programmers with a thorough grounding in modern C++ defined as being post 2011 ISO standard. The book makes few concessions to how things were done in C++98, its purpose is to show you how they should be done in C++11.

The book is divided into four main parts - A Tour of C++, Basic Facilities, Abstraction Mechanisms, and The Standard Library. I'll look at each of them in turn.

The first section is, at first sight, a bit odd. It's a 100 page rapid look at how things fit together in C++ without going into too much detail at any point. I wasn't sure at first, but after a while I realized that I could start to see how the new facilities would be used, even though the setting was relatively simple.

You can do this sort of thing when you write for developers who already use the language, because you don't have to worry about using common facilities that haven't yet been formally introduced. Some people may not like it, but if it's not your cup of tea it can be skipped without causing too many problems later on.

In the second part we start to cover the basics in more detail. I found the section on references particularly useful, covering, as it does, both lvalue and rvalue references. As readers probably know rvalue references were introduce in the latest standard, but their treatment in this book is typical of the treatment all the ways through - as part of a whole, not something bolted on afterwards.

One thing this section has that I haven't seen in most books is a chapter on source files and programs which covers not only linkage, but headers, ODR, and initialization.

The third part covers abstraction mechanisms - broadly speaking classes, templates, generic programming and metaprogramming. Much of the material in this section is hard work. That's not the fault of the author. He is dealing with complex, abstract, concepts which require concentration to understand. You can't simplify them, or you lose the essence of the ideas. Be prepared to give the material your undivided attention, or you will get lost.

The fourth and final part of the book covers the Standard Library. It's only about 400 pages long (though I have whole books shorter than that!) but it's packed with useful material ranging over the whole library. The problem is that the library is big, and this is perhaps the one place where you will find it necessary to have some more specialist books on your shelf in addition to this one.

It's not that there is anything wrong with the section. Quite to the contrary, there is much in it that is excellent, but it just doesn't have the space to cover everything with enough examples. The most obvious need is in the concurrency chapters. The library concurrency material is all there, but there simply isn't space to deal in depth with how to use it safely. I think that the part of my programming shelf dealing specifically with C++ will not only have this book on it but also 'The C++ Standard Library' by Nico Josuttis and 'C++ Concurrency in Action' by Anthony Williams.

Overall there are a couple of things which I particularly liked. One is the 'Advice' sections at the end of each chapter, one or two liners which make some suggestions about the best way to go about doing the things covered in the chapter. They aren't proscriptive but they represent good advice to bear in mind.

Second, I, for one, found particularly useful the brief examples given in the book. The way they are constructed makes no concessions to pre-C++11 code, and shows how one of the minds behind the standard intended the new material to be used. I'm sure that some of those who follow the work of the standards bodies closely will recognize echoes of arguments in some of the book's explanations of various features!

I got a lot out of this book. More than I expected, and I suspect I'm a better programmer for that. I would be careful who I recommend it to, because, as I said at the start of this review, it's not for beginners.

Coda: This book is physically HEAVY. It's 1,300+ pages, including the index (which as I said earlier, is good enough to make it useful as a reference). I have the paperback edition, I imagine the hardback is even heavier. There have been reviews suggesting that the book is not well constructed. I carried it back and forth to work on the tube and train for a month, and it's still fine, a little battered, perhaps, but certainly not coming apart. I think that any early problems there may have been must have been fixed.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only one thing I can say that's bad about it is the paper is very thin and ..., 16 Aug 2014
I keep coming back to this book all the time!

The only one thing I can say that's bad about it is the paper is very thin and doesn't like to be written in or used with a highlighter; I've had to resort to sticky notes throughout the book to mark my own points of interest.

As all the other reviews have said, it's not the best book for a beginner, nor is it a reference to the language, but it covers all the core components that is easy to read and understand for an intermediate programmer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sorry Bjarne, but you're no writer, 17 Jun 2013
I've got all editions of this book.

Like everyone else (probably) I bought this book to learn about C++11.
However, whatever I want to know about, it never seems like the section I look up has sufficient coverage; I never quite seem to get the meat. As a result, it's unsatisfying. The information may well be in here but if it is it's spread thinly and everywhere. I never get the feeling I can fold down a page or insert a sticky for that section I go back to again and again.

It's not a tutorial and it's not a reference so what is it exactly?

It's heavy though. Well done there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Throughout., 11 April 2014
J. Bond "Xelous" (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I found even as an experienced developer, and C++ user, whenever a new language standard definition is released it takes a long time to bring ones way of thinking around to leverage the new language features to their best effect. That is until with C++11 and reading this tome, every little detail of the language is covered, allowing one to convert from old styles and patterns to new technology and new ways of thinking easily.

Turning every other page one could find someone new to learn, for the seasoned of beginner, so long as you know how to use a C++ compiler going through this tome and some of it's examples is a real insight into not just how the language now stands, but how it has evolved.

Coming straight from Bjarne too one finds reading the text almost akin to talking to him in person, he explains so clearly and concisely what he is aiming to do, never over stepping the bounds of the current chapter of section, but always referring you onto other topics.

If you're an absolute beginner, or have never programmed in C++ before, this book is perhaps not for you, check out "A Tour of C++" which is a much more accessible companion to this book and also by Bjarne. Once you're happy with the Tour, then it is time for this, the main event, book to enter your development career.

Excellent throughout.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly As I Hoped, 3 Feb 2014
This review is from: The C++ Programming Language (4th Edition) (Kindle Edition)
An intimate treatise on the essence of C++ by the one who can really do that. Reading through this book I really feel like I'm getting a sense of the language from the roots. This is only something that can be conveyed from a clear sight of the details, history and current development. Let's face it this is a collectors item just because of the timing and the man himself taking the time to keep us all in the loop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Reference, 17 Dec 2013
The perfect reference for the C++ Programming Language. It contains everything related to the language, plus all manner of useful tips and what to avoid when using the language and the STL. Generic in its approach, there isn't a single application that wouldn't benefit from a programmer who has read this book cover to cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars C++ Dev Manual, 29 Sep 2013
A great book written by the C++ inventor himself, some areas are a little scattered but the new C++11 content is a great side benefit

4.0 out of 5 stars Forget about ISO1 C++..., 10 Aug 2013
If you're thinking of becoming (re-)acquainted with C++ then buy this book and learn ISO2/C++11. Being first in line I got an early printing; two else have apparently appeared since then - see errata on author's website.

Some confidence operating your new/updated compiler is an advantage to get it making sense of the book's examples.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent but disjointed, 25 Jun 2013
There is a lot of great content in this book however the organization and presentation is a little messy. What are relatively advanced concepts are introduced too early in the text. Like the C++ programming language itself a little more thought should have gone into its design and structure. But saying that there is a considerable amount of useful information in the book and as Stroustrup says you can't learn every last detail about a language like C++.

5.0 out of 5 stars The creator of C++ himself takes us to a fascinating ..., 22 July 2014
I. S. PILIOUNIS (Athens, GREECE) - See all my reviews
The creator of C++ himself takes us to a fascinating journey into the modern implementations of the language and its inner and deeper secrets. Not to be missing from the arsenal of any serious C++ developer.

The C++ Programming Language (4th Edition)
32.82