4.0 out of 5 stars More substantial than the Thane X5
I borrowed a Thane X5 Steam Mop from a friend to see if I would get on with them before I bought one, and although it did the job I was a little worried about the flimsiness of the handle. When I was maneuvering it round bends, the handle was bending and I was concerned it may snap. The reviews of the Vax mop said the handle was strong and firm, and they are right...
Published 6 months ago by S. Rupp

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok... but still returned.
This was purchased for my mother, an elderly 72 year old, to ease the burden of 'wet' cleaning the floor. It arrived and the contents that made up the box were as follows:

The main body of the machine which holds the water,
The triangular head of the floor cleaner
Two head cloths
A triangular head frame that should be used if you are 'freshening...
Published 6 months ago by S. Akhtar

4.0 out of 5 stars More substantial than the Thane X5, 23 Jan 2014
S. Rupp (scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vax Steam Mop S7 - 2 in 1 Upright and Handheld Steam Cleaner (Kitchen & Home)

I bought this in an Amazon flash sale for 54 which is much better value that the Thane at 99. It is a little heaver but I assume that's because its better made. The instructions were a little vague regarding how to attach the nozzles for the hand held function but I worked it out myself. I have used the hand-held for cleaning my oven and shower and its a bit hard on the fingers holding the button down when doing a lengthy job.

My oven was in a poor state and scouring it with brillo pads didn't make much impact, but the small scraper and wire brush on the steam cleaner have transformed it. It isn't a miracle machine; I had to take my time and work on a small area at a time, but the shine is finally back after 9 years!

As far as the mop goes, I expected the velcro pad to self- attach like the X5 but it doesn't, you just put the mop on top of it and set off. I expected it to come off whilst mopping, but it doesn't, it remains in place no matter how hard I pushed it about. The mop lifted dried on food and marks off my kitchen wooden floor really easily- I would have to scrub by hand when using a standard mop. Most of my rooms downstairs have wooden floors (hall, large kitchen Diner, bathroom, conservatory, utility) and I can whip round them on less than a tank of water. Its impossible to empty the water tank, as mentioned in a previous review but I dont think it will be an issue. The floors are not left dry, but much drier than when using a normal mop and bucket, and no streaks. I have not used it on windows yet, but I have been advised that I will have to wipe them down with a cloth as I go, to prevent drips and streaks, but it gets them nice and clean apparently.
I wanted spare velcro pads so looked on the Vax spares website but did not find them listed, so got them from Amazon.
Overall, I am glad I bought the Vax over the Thane, its much better made.

4.0 out of 5 stars Vax steam mop, 30 Mar 2014
Excellent as a floor mop and carpet cleaner. Very difficult to detach floor section to use the hand held attatments, so they probably will not often be used. An instuction book would have been useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars vax steam cleaner, 8 Jan 2014
fantastic - ready to throw my mop and bucket away. This does all the wood laminate floors perfectly, well impressed

5.0 out of 5 stars I actually enjoy cleaning now, 9 July 2014
I actually enjoy cleaning now! The hand held bit is great for cleaning the bathroom, especially stubborn lime scale and around taps/hinges. The kitchen sink sparkles, the hob has never been cleaner, all the chopping boards get a blast and it even got splashes of paint off where some one had spilt some gloss and had left it. The floors feel clean and look so much brighter. When you first use it you may think it's a bit fiddly to use, once you get use to it though it's great. Very annoying that you have to go on line for the full instructions. Vax that is just plain daft, please include them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok... but still returned., 16 Jan 2014
S. Akhtar (London, UK) - See all my reviews

The main body of the machine which holds the water,
The triangular head of the floor cleaner
Two head cloths
A triangular head frame that should be used if you are 'freshening up' carpets or rugs
A triangular base plate on to which the machine could be placed, in floor cleaning mode, to rest it
A steam pipe that replaces the head when you wish to use the hand held cleaner
A variety of accessories with which to steam clean grout, wall tiles, glass etc
A shoulder strap which makes the body of the machine easy to carry when using as a handheld cleaner
A handy bag into which all the accessories could fit.

The pipe, base plate and frame, and accessories were constructed from a type of grey plastic whereas the machine was made up of white plastic. All of it seemed fairly sturdy and a little weightier than it looks.

The instructions were not the best and came in the form of a card folded into four that hung by a chain from the main body of the cleaner. They were more a quick guide than a comprehensive set of instructions. When I wanted to use the cleaner in handheld mode it took a bit of guesswork to figure out that you need to attach one of the accessory parts on to the handheld cleaner before you can attach any of the other handheld accessories, something not covered by the instructions and therefore something that could totally confuse you if you're not given to figuring out the mechanics.

The assembly was not easy and I realised that this was something my mother would not be able to do at all, but I persevered as I thought: I'll always be around to help. I felt that if the cleaner performs well, considering the discounted price, it could be a winner all round. It was very difficult to keep the button depressed on the machine contact, over which the connecting part has to slide, in order to fix on. It was painful on the fingers at times and I was glad my nails are short. So fitting the floor cleaning head of the machine to the body took a while to master: even after switching it out with the hand cleaning pipe, and back again, a few times, nothing seemed to make it easier, and this turned out to be its biggest fault.

Having assembled the floor cleaner, the cloths seemed to hold on the way velcro holds on, and never once came off, the instructions on how to operate it were easy, and the water holder struck me as something that would not be a problem with over-filling, or not. It sealed well and was easy to attach. Switched on, the steam is created when a tube that is attached to metal ball bearing, within the water chamber, comes into contact with the water that is held. And this seemed to keep going until all the water was used up. I managed to clean two floors and partially attack the grouting in a walk in shower, on the maximum amount held by the water chamber. On refilling the water attachment, but not using all the water, it was near impossible to empty the chamber completely, which I didn't like. It made me feel like the chamber would not dry out adequately, unless all the water had been used up, and that mould might find it's way in there, unless you make sure all the water is dispersed as steam.

The cloths supplied with the cleaner were adequate, but not exceptional, and easy enough to throw in the wash when done, but had I kept the cleaner, I would have purchased the 'coral cloths' recommended for these type of machines: a much thicker cloth with what looks like tassels on it, which are supposed to clean superbly. Somewhere among the Amazon reviews on Vax steam cleaners, someone else wrote that she had purchased non-Vax recommended coral cloths at a fraction of the price at which the proprietary cloths are sold, which she had to stretch on to the Vax head, but once on, worked well. She even put up the Amazon link to the cloths she bought, and this is probably something I would have done, considering that Vax coral cloths are sold at 12-16.

The laminate floor in the kitchen which was not exceptionally dirty, came up rather well, when steam cleaned. The machine was quick and easy to move round, as it glided across the floor, and with a few back and forth motions, brought up the few dried in stains there were. My mother found it easy to move the cleaner around the floor, which gave me hope. Both floors dried in under ten minutes. The ceramic tiles, however, seemed misty when cleaned. When cleaned by hand, these tiles come up better. I put this down to the cloths provided and thought that the coral cloths would probably perform better, though I cannot confirm this.

The mop when stood on the base plate stayed upright but was more stable leaning against a wall too.

With the handheld cleaner, I was pleasantly surprised. I expected the handheld facility to be a bit gimmicky, a tack on facility to what was essentially supposed to be a floor cleaner. Unfortunately, what impressed me: it's ability to actually remove the grime, on the grout between the tiles, and the build up under the shower, so tricky to reach by hand, was soon mitigated by the fact that the brush on the grout tool actually melted when cleaning!!! The brush was a bit sub-standard anyway, with nothing like an adequate brush on it, but three small tufts, with which to clean, but these fairly quickly bent out of shape and became useless, under the heat of the steam, when cleaning the grout. I took to using and old toothbrush, which dealt with the wall much better, impressing me with the handheld's ability to clean. Not that I used many of the accessories, but I got the feeling they were all a bit substandard, it's the steam build-up and pressure that impresses. Having said which, this cleaner is in no way as good as a proper handheld jet steam cleaner. It is simply adequate, considering it comes with a mop. The strap which enables you to hold the handheld became a godsend, leaving hands free to control both the machine and the toothbrush. I tried cleaning a part of the shower door and whilst it handled the grease and dirt well, limescale streaks remained.

All in all, even given the low cost, I think this machine is ok. I think what made me send the machine back is the difficulty with which this can be assembled and reassembled. I really don't think this would be suitable for elderly users or the groomed Desperate Housewife, with beautifully manicured nails. I barely think it was suitable for me and I'm neither old, nor particularly groomed.

I hope this review helps you.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good....., 21 Jan 2014
First ordered the "Vax Steam Mop S7 - 2 in 1 Upright and Handheld Steam Cleaner" and the item arrived pretty quickly. This one refused to steam-up after repeated attempts which kind of defeated the purpose. Amazon gave me an option to either replace or claim refund (full marks to Amazon for this). Since we wanted a steam cleaner and this seemed to tick all our boxes we ordered for a replacement which arrived fairly quickly.

Luckily this second unit worked as expected. All fittings as described. An instruction manual would have been helpful, however shouldn't be a problem for most.

Have used this a few times since and works like a charm - our wooden floors are much cleaner now, carpets feels refreshed, grout from the bathroom tiles have vanished, areas in the kitchen all sparkling clean - all this without using any harmful chemicals (especially in the kitchen). Hopefully this unit will last us a good few years. As of now very happy with this purchase and this item gets used a couple of times a week.

Vax need to have tougher quality control to sort out random units not steaming-up. I notice from the comments that another user has also reported the same issue.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what I expected!, 9 Feb 2014
M. H. Vangurp (UK) - See all my reviews
I have read some curious reviews of this and other steam mops, so here is my honest appraisal.
First I entirely agree with those that say go with a trusted brand - vax are that and they give a 2 year guarantee albeit with the faff of having to do it online. I would also say that 1600 watt, which this is, is more than adequate.
Second the price has to be right and amazon offered the best deal on this particular vax mop and I'm not sure I would want to pay anymore!
Third it does the job. It's not a miracle mop and given that steam is water vapour it does leave a wet sheen on floors but way less than a normal mop. Those who are expecting dry floors after using a water based product should wait for the laser mop perhaps! But what it does do is clean the floor. Mine are all tile and wood, I have no carpets, and they are cleaner now then they have ever been. I would also add that mopping the floor is now much easier than with a conventional mop. Another bonus is that after mopping you just remove the pad and wash it!
What I would add is that a good read of the online instructions is a good idea. You don't have to keep the steam button depressed all the time for example. I only depress the steam button on the forward push of the mop which allows the backward pull to lift off excess moisture.
The only thing I would say is that the catch that you have to undo to use the hand held attachment is ridiculous. It's very hard to do and on the second attempt the body flew out of my hands! I simply cannot imagine a design team that can't rework it - everyone who buys this mop says the same! The other thing is the attachments work but the grout tool after only one use looks pretty much worn out so some of the attachments are gimmicky but it's useful to have the hand held for other jobs that steam is useful for. The water holder in comparison is superbly designed and simple to use.
So overall the steam mop is better than a conventional mop and if you purchase this one your reward will be floors that are genuinely cleaner and a mopping experience that is genuinely easier and a hand held option that is a useful additional. Just get used to the idea that every time you use the hand held you will swear!
So four out of five for this mop because of a silly design fault that needs to be changed!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 25 Oct 2013
If you have realistic expectations about steam mops you will love this.It is excellent, easy to use and has all the necessary attachments and more. the price is good too. I recommend this mop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vax Steam Mop S7 - 2 in 1 Upright and Handheld Steam Cleaner by Vax, 8 Jun 2014
Brilliant for cleaning floors, oven, carpet. Easy to use having read instructions. This is my first Steam Mop and have got rid of bucket and mops as not needed anymore. Great space saver and after using leaves a nice dry shine on kitchen tiles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job, 2 Mar 2014
Missus (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this particular steam mop because two other family members have this model and were enthusiastic in their recommendation. I already own a Polti steam cleaner which I get out from time to time but which is a bit of a pain to assemble just for cleaning the kitchen floor.

The Vax is excellent for cleaning my kitchen floor and tiled utility room floor. I haven't tried it on carpet but I didn't really buy it for that.

As a floor mop, the Vax is easy to put together and simple to operate. The water reservoir is easy to fill - switch on and the Vax is ready to use in seconds. The electric cable is good and long and the micro-fibre mops very easy to fit. When it comes to setting up the Vax as a hand held cleaner it comes with rather scant instructions but you can download a PDF file online and that has better instructions about assembling the mop to be used as a hand held cleaner

As a hand held steam cleaner it's OK but it lacks the oomph of my Polti so I probably won't use the Vax as a hand held steam cleaner very much. As a floor mop it's terrific and I'm very pleased with it indeed. I know some reviewers have found that it leaves floor wet. Steam will inevitably produce moisture and my floors have been noticeably drier than after mopping with the usual squeegee mop and go on to fully dry very quickly. No detergent either - what a bonus.

If I had to buy another steam mop then I'd probably buy the same make but just a steam mop and not one that can be used as a hand held steamer.

April 24th 2014 - Update: I've had this mop for nearly three months now, use it frequently and continue to be delighted with it. Twice I've switched it on and found that no steam was produced so I removed the water tank and put it back on again and all was well. I just hadn't put the little water tank on securely. It's just a brilliant bit of kit.