4.0 out of 5 stars More substantial than the Thane X5
I borrowed a Thane X5 Steam Mop from a friend to see if I would get on with them before I bought one, and although it did the job I was a little worried about the flimsiness of the handle. When I was maneuvering it round bends, the handle was bending and I was concerned it may snap. The reviews of the Vax mop said the handle was strong and firm, and they are right...
Published 13 months ago by S. Rupp

3.0 out of 5 stars Good as floor cleaner
Good as floor cleaner . But very large to use as hand held cleaner ,and the way the attachments go onto it ,I think the steam has to many attachments to through before it comes out so is not as effective as it could be !
Published 3 months ago by Biscuit3051

4.0 out of 5 stars More substantial than the Thane X5, 23 Jan. 2014
S. Rupp (scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vax Steam Mop S7 - 2 in 1 Upright and Handheld Steam Cleaner (Kitchen & Home)

I bought this in an Amazon flash sale for £54 which is much better value that the Thane at £99. It is a little heaver but I assume that's because its better made. The instructions were a little vague regarding how to attach the nozzles for the hand held function but I worked it out myself. I have used the hand-held for cleaning my oven and shower and its a bit hard on the fingers holding the button down when doing a lengthy job.

My oven was in a poor state and scouring it with brillo pads didn't make much impact, but the small scraper and wire brush on the steam cleaner have transformed it. It isn't a miracle machine; I had to take my time and work on a small area at a time, but the shine is finally back after 9 years!

As far as the mop goes, I expected the velcro pad to self- attach like the X5 but it doesn't, you just put the mop on top of it and set off. I expected it to come off whilst mopping, but it doesn't, it remains in place no matter how hard I pushed it about. The mop lifted dried on food and marks off my kitchen wooden floor really easily- I would have to scrub by hand when using a standard mop. Most of my rooms downstairs have wooden floors (hall, large kitchen Diner, bathroom, conservatory, utility) and I can whip round them on less than a tank of water. Its impossible to empty the water tank, as mentioned in a previous review but I dont think it will be an issue. The floors are not left dry, but much drier than when using a normal mop and bucket, and no streaks. I have not used it on windows yet, but I have been advised that I will have to wipe them down with a cloth as I go, to prevent drips and streaks, but it gets them nice and clean apparently.
I wanted spare velcro pads so looked on the Vax spares website but did not find them listed, so got them from Amazon.
Overall, I am glad I bought the Vax over the Thane, its much better made.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bad instructions given but amazing in the end, 18 Feb. 2015
Used it on curtains, the handheld is quite good if you know how to use it! Initially I didn't understand what to use for what, the instructions that come with it are nill and I had trouble finding the full ones on the manufacturer's website, but a quick email solved the problem and had them sent the instructions over. Again, instructions of what to use with what are not great at all!

I had to peruse the internet for instructions for other similar steamers and that got me going! If you're using the handheld, get that long hose in there. There is one connector for the steamer itself that you must connect the hose too... you can then connect the extras to it together with the shoulder strap and you will be looking like a professional in no time!

The curtains smelled fresh and clean. I had to use the upright on a very old and dirty carpet, it also ended up smelling fresh and clean. I then tried it on some wooden cupboards and kitchen drawers that had seen awful stains for over 8 years that would just not come out... They look brand new now!

Word of advice... Do not try to use it with steam detergent, or if you do, use a very little amount! The foam from the detergent blocked the filter and I had to blow it out myself painfully.

I would give only 4 star to this due to the bad instructions, but after you figure out how to truly take advantage of this steamer it works as a dream. Definitely good price for what it is!

4.0 out of 5 stars Economical Floor Cleaner Plus, 2 May 2014
Peter Bailey - See all my reviews
The Vax Steam mop cleans floors quckly and efficiently with little water and electricity usage. The hand held steaming facility is awkward to assemble as the push button connectors are hard to press but once the handle and floor heads are separated it is easy to attach the many tools supplied. Generally the steam and tool usage works well for general cleaning but for the removal of long term scale etc. it is not powerful enough to effectively do the task. It is however a very good domestic cleaner and will keep things hygienic and well maintained once major build ups are sorted. A minor irritation is the understandable need to keep pressing a steam release button. This effectively means that cleaning unfixed items like shower heads is a three hand want; one to press the button, one to direct the steam and one to hold the item to be cleaned. All in all a good valueand effective cleaner with minor niggles.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good as floor cleaner, 18 Nov. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE this product is addictive !!!, 25 Feb. 2015
This cleaner is amazing ... But if you but be careful ... If you buy one give up on all other life as it's addictive .. My house has never been so clean .. It's so easy to use and for somebody who has 3 big kids (well 4 with hubby) 4 cats and a dog .. Finally having the ability to clean a large kitchen floor (and knowing they're properly clean) is a fab feeling ...takes a bit of practice to take handle and bottom off to convert to hand held but SOOOO worth it ... Can't say enough about this bit of kit .... Paid just £49.99 ... Possibly the best clean device ive ever bought !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!!, 23 Jan. 2015
This is the new love of my life! Was half price so gave it a try and I'm so glad I did. Plenty of attachments for any chore. Easy to use and not heavy. Used in my home most days!

2.0 out of 5 stars Cumbersome and Leaky., 28 Feb. 2015
The whole reason for me choosing this model was for its floor and hand-held capability and it wasn't priced at around the hundred mark like other brands. I've used Vax carpet cleaners in the past so felt comfortable with the brand as a steam cleaner.
Major faults though.
1: You require 3 hands: For most of us this isn't the norm, holding the unit (nozzle down), aiming the attachment at the offending scum and holding a sodding button down constantly and wiping the scum away...
2. It leaks if you don't hold the nozzle down. Then again, this could be just mine, but since I'd only used it a few times since buying it missed the window for sending it back (although I thought faulty goods were covered by the statutory 12 month manufacturers warranty which I assumed Amazon would honour) which I would have done by the way...
Spend a bit more to get a better unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy VAX Steam Mop now !, 14 Dec. 2014
This is brilliant...(bought for under £50) Great make, great product. I finally treated myself, how I wish I hadn't left it so long. The hand held steamer detaches easily from the mop handle and works wonders in those hard to get to places, I still haven't used all the attachments yet but I'm sure I will with time. The floor mop is great - leaves a lovely shine on the wood and glides well. And I love the bit where I just remove the pad and throw it in my washing machine. Job done !

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok... but still returned., 16 Jan. 2014
S. Akhtar (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This was purchased for my mother, an elderly 72 year old, to ease the burden of 'wet' cleaning the floor. It arrived and the contents that made up the box were as follows:

The main body of the machine which holds the water,
The triangular head of the floor cleaner
Two head cloths
A triangular head frame that should be used if you are 'freshening up' carpets or rugs
A triangular base plate on to which the machine could be placed, in floor cleaning mode, to rest it
A steam pipe that replaces the head when you wish to use the hand held cleaner
A variety of accessories with which to steam clean grout, wall tiles, glass etc
A shoulder strap which makes the body of the machine easy to carry when using as a handheld cleaner
A handy bag into which all the accessories could fit.

The pipe, base plate and frame, and accessories were constructed from a type of grey plastic whereas the machine was made up of white plastic. All of it seemed fairly sturdy and a little weightier than it looks.

The instructions were not the best and came in the form of a card folded into four that hung by a chain from the main body of the cleaner. They were more a quick guide than a comprehensive set of instructions. When I wanted to use the cleaner in handheld mode it took a bit of guesswork to figure out that you need to attach one of the accessory parts on to the handheld cleaner before you can attach any of the other handheld accessories, something not covered by the instructions and therefore something that could totally confuse you if you're not given to figuring out the mechanics.

The assembly was not easy and I realised that this was something my mother would not be able to do at all, but I persevered as I thought: I'll always be around to help. I felt that if the cleaner performs well, considering the discounted price, it could be a winner all round. It was very difficult to keep the button depressed on the machine contact, over which the connecting part has to slide, in order to fix on. It was painful on the fingers at times and I was glad my nails are short. So fitting the floor cleaning head of the machine to the body took a while to master: even after switching it out with the hand cleaning pipe, and back again, a few times, nothing seemed to make it easier, and this turned out to be its biggest fault.

Having assembled the floor cleaner, the cloths seemed to hold on the way velcro holds on, and never once came off, the instructions on how to operate it were easy, and the water holder struck me as something that would not be a problem with over-filling, or not. It sealed well and was easy to attach. Switched on, the steam is created when a tube that is attached to metal ball bearing, within the water chamber, comes into contact with the water that is held. And this seemed to keep going until all the water was used up. I managed to clean two floors and partially attack the grouting in a walk in shower, on the maximum amount held by the water chamber. On refilling the water attachment, but not using all the water, it was near impossible to empty the chamber completely, which I didn't like. It made me feel like the chamber would not dry out adequately, unless all the water had been used up, and that mould might find it's way in there, unless you make sure all the water is dispersed as steam.

The cloths supplied with the cleaner were adequate, but not exceptional, and easy enough to throw in the wash when done, but had I kept the cleaner, I would have purchased the 'coral cloths' recommended for these type of machines: a much thicker cloth with what looks like tassels on it, which are supposed to clean superbly. Somewhere among the Amazon reviews on Vax steam cleaners, someone else wrote that she had purchased non-Vax recommended coral cloths at a fraction of the price at which the proprietary cloths are sold, which she had to stretch on to the Vax head, but once on, worked well. She even put up the Amazon link to the cloths she bought, and this is probably something I would have done, considering that Vax coral cloths are sold at £12-16.

The laminate floor in the kitchen which was not exceptionally dirty, came up rather well, when steam cleaned. The machine was quick and easy to move round, as it glided across the floor, and with a few back and forth motions, brought up the few dried in stains there were. My mother found it easy to move the cleaner around the floor, which gave me hope. Both floors dried in under ten minutes. The ceramic tiles, however, seemed misty when cleaned. When cleaned by hand, these tiles come up better. I put this down to the cloths provided and thought that the coral cloths would probably perform better, though I cannot confirm this.

The mop when stood on the base plate stayed upright but was more stable leaning against a wall too.

With the handheld cleaner, I was pleasantly surprised. I expected the handheld facility to be a bit gimmicky, a tack on facility to what was essentially supposed to be a floor cleaner. Unfortunately, what impressed me: it's ability to actually remove the grime, on the grout between the tiles, and the build up under the shower, so tricky to reach by hand, was soon mitigated by the fact that the brush on the grout tool actually melted when cleaning!!! The brush was a bit sub-standard anyway, with nothing like an adequate brush on it, but three small tufts, with which to clean, but these fairly quickly bent out of shape and became useless, under the heat of the steam, when cleaning the grout. I took to using and old toothbrush, which dealt with the wall much better, impressing me with the handheld's ability to clean. Not that I used many of the accessories, but I got the feeling they were all a bit substandard, it's the steam build-up and pressure that impresses. Having said which, this cleaner is in no way as good as a proper handheld jet steam cleaner. It is simply adequate, considering it comes with a mop. The strap which enables you to hold the handheld became a godsend, leaving hands free to control both the machine and the toothbrush. I tried cleaning a part of the shower door and whilst it handled the grease and dirt well, limescale streaks remained.

All in all, even given the low cost, I think this machine is ok. I think what made me send the machine back is the difficulty with which this can be assembled and reassembled. I really don't think this would be suitable for elderly users or the groomed Desperate Housewife, with beautifully manicured nails. I barely think it was suitable for me and I'm neither old, nor particularly groomed.

I hope this review helps you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 18 Feb. 2015
I have only had it a couple of hours and the bathroom and kitchen floors are now cleaner, the inner glass of the oven is much cleaner, the 'fridge no longer has sticky sellotape marks on it and the disgusting black mould that seems to love the magnetic seal on my freezer has gone.

I predict that I will use this steamer over and over again for all sorts of jobs, tomorrow's is to steam sterilise the secondhand moses basket we were given before its intended occupant arrives.

I am impressed with the quality of this mop, when assembled it is very sturdy and comes with a range of accesssories to cope with loads of cleaning jobs.