The problem with printers is that there are so many and so many different ratings given by people that it's hard to know which is good and which isn't.

The specs around this model are strong and it's wi-fi/air-play which, for the price, won me over.

I'll simply list the facts and let people take what they want from them:

Firstly, this...
Published 8 months ago by Stephen Mooney

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than I thought it would be
I have owned this printer for about 3 months and I use it primarily for printing A4 photos. I used to use a Canon Pixma and the photo quality of the Envy is not as good as that printer but it is acceptable to me. If your a purist then look elsewhere. I dropped Canon when my old printer developed the B200 error. I would not buy a Canon again after that farce...
Published 1 month ago by Shrimpfarmer

5.0 out of 5 stars Important to address what a lot of people are giving negative reviews about and that's just not fair on this printer..., 17 July 2014
Stephen Mooney "StephenM" (Belfast, N Ireland) - See all my reviews

I'll simply list the facts and let people take what they want from them:

Firstly, this printer is a lot bigger than I expected; it's certainly not compact by any means so make sure and check the dimensions as I didn't. The price should have alerted me to this so this is my fault for not checking and expecting something smaller.

Moving onto the set-up; there are a lot of reviews talking about how complicated it was to set up and having to register in order to be able to set it up. It's honestly not difficult to set-up. Follow the instructions which are clear and straightforward, make sure you know your wi-fi password and how to sync your make of wi-fi hub (mine is Virgin that give great instructions on line around how to sync your hub to other devices) as you'll need to know how to do this. Some reviewers seem to be faulting the printer for not finding their signals but it's the other way around, the hub needs to be synced in order to find it and connect so it's not the fault of the printer.

From here you have 2 options; you can use the cd provided to finalize set up or you can use HP's website. I used the website. Yes, it does give you the options of signing up and creating an account however, you don't have to do this and it's states that you can continue without registering. I registered because the ink is very cheap and the ink cartridges are not expensive enough for me to warrant buying cheap knock off versions and losing quality of the print. By signing up I can automatically order when i'm running low and there's not a bad software photo editing package included for download when you sign up.

Took me another 5 minutes to finalise set up through this and it worked straight away with no problems and no paper jams.

Overall, the set up was straightforward and following the instructions. the printer was up and running within 10 minutes.

Now, air-printing; I have an iPad and I was worried that i would have to download software but I didn't; you can but you don't have to. It was really, really simple; just bring up the document on your device tap print and choose the printer and that's it; it worked first time and worked brilliantly. No issues with using an iPad or my iPhone 5 with this printer but i can't speak for how well it works with Android/windows devices.

Reviewers have complained about various things and I want to just pick up a couple and compare my experience to them:

- Front loading; yes, the printer is front loading but this isn't a problem with me and I don't see the issue. It's actually space saving and because the printer is bigger than i thought, this is a good thing and it's easy to use; once again, follow the instructions which make it clear
- Paper jams: I've printed out a 20 page document, 2 sided and absolutely no issues at any time and it's hasn't jammed once. Now, once it a while, if you've signed up to an account, a special reward offer will come on screen which interrupts printing but you just resume printing. It's no big deal and it's very rare as it's a reward scheme that offers you discounts or free editing tools.
- Flimsy front loader: I'll be clearer than most around this; they are referring to a small 2 inch strip of plastic that pulls out of the actual front loader to make sure paper doesn't fall on the ground when printing our. It's made of plastic but it's by no means flimsy and you don't actually have to use this.
- No ink provided with printer; not true, the printer comes with a black and white and colour cartridge. Again, people should be clearer. There are 2 types of quality when it comes to the cartridges and the cartridges supplied are the basic quality cartridges, which leads me onto:
- Quality of print/image: no problems here. i don't see what people are complaining about the quality is excellent using these cartridges and I use the printer for very basic printing and photo printing and there are no issues with this. I don't know, perhaps if you are a photographer and make your living selling images then this would matter more (but then, why would you buy such a cheap printer. I printed off 2 DVLA forms and these were perfect, as if I had picked them up from the post office.
- Paper; again, some reviewers stating to have to use HP paper?(!) Not true, I've been using basic photocopying paper and it works fine
- Cost of cartridges; these cartridges are some of the cheapest around and half the price of the previous Advent model I had.
- Length of cartridge use: I've had the printer for approx 2 weeks and printed out a fair few things (boarding passes, recipes, DVLA forms..etc) and they are still going strong, If people use cheap knock off cartridges these will only last half as long

Overall, I've had the printer for approx 2 weeks and couldn't be happier with it. I think that some reviewers are taking it out of the box, not following instructions, making assumptions when they shouldn't be and perhaps don't have a basic grasp of technology. I experienced none of the issues that other people have.

Apologies for the length of the review but I felt it was important to address what a lot of people are giving negative reviews about and that's just not fair on this printer when anybody looking for a low cost good reliable wi-fi/airplay printer could do so much worse that get this one.

I hope this reviews proves helpful to those that find navigating positive and negative reviews a minefield!

4.0 out of 5 stars SUPER PRINTER, 15 Mar. 2014
This review is from: HP Envy 4500 e-All-In-One Printer (Accessory)
Have set up the printer today and have printed loads of good quality copies already. I was of the understanding that no ink was included so ordered 2 separately. However, in the box I was amazed to see 2 incIuded. I also didn't realise that the software disc does not support Windows 8 which I have on my new laptop. Not too much of a problem however. You have to go onto the HP Website Support Section and download a Driver for this model. Once this has been done the Printer will install itself on to your laptop after you follow the on screen instructions. I hope this review will help some of you get your Printer up and running. Connecting the actual Printer to my WiFi was really quite easy even for a Pensioner like me. Moral is - If I can do it anyone can.
Great price point and excellent delivery and would thoroughly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great HP envy 4500 printer, 14 April 2014
This review is from: HP Envy 4500 e-All-In-One Printer (Accessory)
I bought a Canon Printer and it was rubbish firstly it took me ages to connect to wifi then the paper kept jamming so I returned it and purchased this HP envy 4500 and I am so pleased I did. It took me no time at all to connect to wifi and it prints photos amazingly. Some reviews state its not good at printing photos but I have not experienced this. I can also print from any of my apple devices as well as my samsung phone and tablets. Its one of the best printers I have owned and I have also recommended this to a friend. Excellent purchase and delivery was fast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant little printer, 28 Jan. 2014
This review is from: HP Envy 4500 e-All-In-One Printer (Accessory)
This printer arrived yesterday and did not take too long to set up, it is a brilliant little printer that can be printed from via a mobile phone, tablet etc.,

4.0 out of 5 stars compact,sleek, cheap all-in-one printer, 22 Sept. 2013
This review is from: HP Envy 4500 e-All-In-One Printer (Accessory)
Nice compact design without bits sticking out so suitable where space confined. Easy to install from printer display screen instructions with supplied cd or online. I did both - online for our pc and from disk for laptop. Dialysis screen small but clear typeface easy to read. Allow enough time to customise installation if you do not want to install all the bloat ware, games & for registration which took an age. Printer response time good but scanner noisey/slow in operation but quality good. Quaity of prints good. Have tested all basic functions but not tried printing photo's yet. Easy to access innards and install cartridges from large flip up lid under document bed which is important for those of us who are 50+ with dodgy hands. So far so good and happy with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little printer, 25 Sept. 2013
This review is from: HP Envy 4500 e-All-In-One Printer (Accessory)
I love this printer, it does everything really well. Very easy to set up, the wireless side was dead easy and my ipad and sony phone could print to it without issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good value, 1 Feb. 2014
This review is from: HP Envy 4500 e-All-In-One Printer (Accessory)
The printer was very easy to set up straight from the box. The blue tooth connection worked fine with my Toshiba laptop. Works fine for everyday low level domestic use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy easy easy, 2 Jan. 2014
This review is from: HP Envy 4500 e-All-In-One Printer (Accessory)
Excellent quality print even on basic paper, with an easy setup and easy to operate. Good value, and fairly quiet in operation.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than I thought it would be, 17 Feb. 2015
This review is from: HP Envy 4500 e-All-In-One Printer (Accessory)

The Envy is a bit clunky but it sure is cheap. I have printed about 120 A4 prints so far and its been very reliable until I opened a new pack of photo paper. I buy mine from Costco and despite the pack saying the paper is exactly the same as the last box for some reason the printer will just not print properly if there is more than one sheet in the tray. I tested it and it prints fine with plain paper but misses about an inch of the picture when there is more than one sheet of paper in the tray. If I use single sheets its ok.

What I really like about this printer though is the Instant ink service. Look it up if you don't know what it is but boy oh boy will it save you money if your a heavy photo printer.

The downside of this printer is that there is only a single paper tray so your constantly going to be switching paper. I knew that before I bought it though so no real problem.

26/2/15 Update

I have switched to HP Everyday Photo Paper. In my view its perfect for this printer as it has no feeding problems and the quality is good.

6/3/15 Update

I returned the printer today because the HP Instant Ink service turned out to be not as good as I had hoped. Its fine if your a normal user, i.e. just a few prints a week which gives time for the ink cartridge to order a replacement and for it to arrive before you run out. I am a heavy user and the cartridge service just couldn't keep up.

I switched to an Epson XP422 which I am really pleased with. I also bought a continuous ink system for it which has proved to be brilliant and very very cheap to run.

I read another user had real problems getting the Envy to work with a Macbook Pro Retina display. I found it very easy to install on all of my Macs (including my Retina Macbook Pro). Wireless printing was very reliable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 22 Jan. 2014
This review is from: HP Envy 4500 e-All-In-One Printer (Accessory)
Wished I bought this earlier my 1st printer was a Kodak and this is far more superior would recommend to others

HP Envy 4500 e-All-In-One Printer