5.0 out of 5 stars Good value for occasional printing
Published 9 months ago by MR JOSEPH E GARBUTT

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy, not even if really cheap!
Good points:
* Cheap
* Reasonable print quality

Bad points
* Software and drivers
* Often prints 1" of first page then stops locking up printer queue
* Continually defaults to Letter size instead of A4
* Tons of useless bloatware HP add-ons installed
* Cartridges supplied contain virtually no ink, will last only a few...
Published 10 months ago by Comical Engineer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value for occasional printing, 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: HP Deskjet 1010 Colour Printer (Accessory)
My parents needed a basic, cheap and uncomplicated printer for occasional use. After reading many reviews and weighing up the ink costs, I decided to order the HP Deskjet 1010 from Amazon. I ordered an additional XL black cartridge too so we were prepared for when the "starter cartridges" run out. After printing off quite a few documents, the starter ink is still going strong. I imagine the XL black ink will last ages. Setting up the printer was fairly easy and it runs fine on Windows XP with a service pack 3 installed. The print quality is top notch and I have no problems with recommending this printer to anyone with basic printing needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars HP Deskjet 1010 Colour printer, 14 Dec 2013
This review is from: HP Deskjet 1010 Colour Printer (Accessory)
Arrived , well packed on day promised.

Set up as instructed - did not start up but while checking set up in manual started it ran perfectly.

Limited use to date but quality of output very acceptable. Not as robust a machine as my old HP 895cxi but faster.

All in all value for money assuming ink costs not too high.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent quality, 23 Mar 2014
This review is from: HP Deskjet 1010 Colour Printer (Accessory)
I bought this printer for I was looking for a small printer that is basic but also good quality printing this printer ticks all the boxes. It is quite quick printing in seconds, it looks good, the inks are easy to insert. Anyone looking for just a printer would do no better than to buy this printer, It has no quirkiness to it it does only print but that is what I wanted and if you want the same then I suggest you consider buying this. Easy to install

4.0 out of 5 stars HP DESKJET 1010 COLOUR PRINTER, 14 Mar 2014
This review is from: HP Deskjet 1010 Colour Printer (Accessory)
I CHOSE THIS PRINTER BECAUSE IT WAS RELATIVELY CHEAP. MY LAST PRINTER CONKED OUT AND I NEEDED ONE TO REPLACE IT. MY SISTER INSTALLED THE PRINTER AND THERE HAS BEEN NO PROBLEMS WITH IT AT ALL.. GOOD VALUE FOR MONEY.

4.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: HP Deskjet 1010 Colour Printer (Accessory)
in it's own right it is perfect - annoyingly you don't get a cable from the printer to the PC - I misread thinking it would be a scanner, copier as well - but all in all - it prints.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 28 May 2014
J. M. Taylor "Kungka Jo" (Newbury, Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HP Deskjet 1010 Colour Printer (Accessory)
I needed a second printer for a specific job which my beast of an all in one Epsom couldn't do, printing on transparency sheets.
I purchased this as a light weight basic printer and couldn't be happier. It folds up very neatly so I can put it away in the cupboard when not in use. It doesn't have any networking capabilities, but for the price frankly I couldn't care less.
Cartridges last reasonably well and are not too expensive to replace (compared to the beast anyway), and also come in XL sizes which last even longer and are even cheaper. Oh and unlike the beast, they are also recyclable, so I can also do my bit.
It does just the job for the transparencies I need and I've also used it for printing letters and flyers with photos and am really happy with the results.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite good, 10 April 2014
This review is from: HP Deskjet 1010 Colour Printer (Accessory)
I like the fact the HP printer is a lot quicker than my old Epson, but I am disappointed with it's printing of scanned documents. I have to scan my Radio Times Crossword amongst others, to enable me to enlarge and read the clues, but I find whereas the Epson printout was nice and sharp, the HP printer 'ghosts', i.e. is will print a 3 with another 3 a little below. making it even more difficult to read. Such a pity, otherwise I love it and the easy access to replacing ink cartridges.
I did not find it easy to set up and after two days trying had to have professional help in the end, some of it had to be done on-line. Why can't they stick to the simple way of just providing a disc that will do the job with no complications.
Margaret Davis.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 12 April 2014
This review is from: HP Deskjet 1010 Colour Printer (Accessory)
Wanted a cheap no frills printer for occasional use and Which? reckons this uses very little ink when used infrequently. Only time will tell but it was easy enough to set up. Didn't use the CD driver because my AppleMac automatically downloads drivers for a range of modern printers. Just had to set the default printer in Tools. So up and running very quickly and if it still works in a year I'll give it an extra star and that will be a good result for me. I've got three old printers in the garage waiting to be thrown away.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy, not even if really cheap!, 3 Nov 2013

* Software and drivers
* Often prints 1" of first page then stops locking up printer queue
* Continually defaults to Letter size instead of A4
* Tons of useless bloatware HP add-ons installed
* Cartridges supplied contain virtually no ink, will last only a few days
* Throws a hissy fit if you use non-genuine HP cartridges
* Very difficult to refill cartridges (genuine ones cost )

Summary:
* Cheap to buy, very expensive to run
* Nagging HP exhortations to use ONLY GENUINE HP CARTRIDGES OR ELSE you will die a horrible death
* Unreliable software, prone to locking printer
* Annoying habit of defaulting to Letter size paper and factory defaults

Would actually be a decent printer except for HP software and the stupid money cartridges.

HP lose the plot.

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks nice, but that's it, 31 Aug 2014
This review is from: HP Deskjet 1010 Colour Printer (Accessory)
Pros:
Not many but it is relatively quick to print

Cons:
USB cable requiredfor set up and use and is not provided
Ink incredibly expensive (about 15p/page)
Ink poor quality
Printer is not compatible with Windows 8.1 OR with USB 3.0 ports
Unable to handle large print jobs (in this instance 50 page documents) - starts printing pages in random order
Cannot use computer while printing, this seems to cause everything to freeze or exacerbates printer confusion
Does frame pages corrently and cuts headers off

I have being trying to print 2 copies of a 60 page document for nearly 2 hours as I write this. I have wasted over 300 pages and used an entire ink cartridge in the process. If it wasn't for the fact I live in a rural area, it's a Sunday and I need this document by 9am tomorrow I would in all honesty have thrown it in the bin and gone out and bought another printer.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›