Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This case provides heavy weight protection for your Kindle Fire. The outer finish is a tough, matt finish polyurethane which looks like it will keep its rugged looks well, and inside the front cover (with the origami folds in place that you can see in the picture), there is a soft fabric to protect the screen. The Kindle Fire is attached by means of hefty magnets rather than being clipped in or held in place by little elastic straps at the corners as many of the cheaper cases are. This requires you to have faith that the magnets are strong enough to keep your Kindle in place come what may - I'm pretty sure they are, but I'm not going to risk my Kindle fire HDX by conducting any vigorous testing of this aspect of the case. The front cover folds back completely so it is out of the way when you are holding the Kindle, or else you can fold it into a stand which works in both landscape and portrait mode. The volume and power buttons are completely covered by the case but the buttons on the case which cover them work well, and the charging port and headphone socket are also readily available. There is no cut out for the camera, so it is completely covered when in the case, but you can slide the Kindle upwards slightly in landscape mode to expose the camera and flash. Sliding the Kindle in this way is supposed to activate the camera app on the camera automatically, but on my Kindle this function doesn't appear to work, although I've had two of the covers to try.
The case is a clever design and certainly different to what we've seen before. In my view, one of the best aspects of it is how easily the Kindle can be removed completely when you are holding it. The Kindle Fire HDX is so light and feels great in the hand, and this case changes things completely. All those magnets make it feel really heavy - all the advantages of being "lighter than air" are lost if you hold the Kindle encased in this.
This is quite an expensive cover, and you'll need to consider whether the extra weight, and the cost can be justified by the snazzy origami folds and the super strong magnets which keep your Kindle safe. It feels like a really sturdy, and good quality product which provides good protection for the Kindle but you'll want to bear in mind the pounds, in both senses of the word!
on 26 December 2013
Grips the Kindle HDX very securely, neat fold up back that allows the stereo sound to stay loud and clear. However,the edge of the cover are now as smoothed over as they could be. When upholding the Kindle with the cover slat against the back I noticed that the corners of the cover were digging into my palms. Have managed to smooth them over so no need to send back, but would not have expected then to be like that. Would have given 5/5 otherwise.
Not bought one of these before. I bought a Poetic case for my earlier 8.9" Fire which has a palm strap for holding the tablet in my hand or attached to my hand but let's face it the 8.9" Fires are heavier than the 7" ones too heavy for palm straps.. The palm strap of my Poetic case for 7" previous Generation tablet is forever in use

I thus decided to buy this case though it cost 25% of my weeks OAP pension.

I rarely drop my Kindles or Fires but I have dropped this HDX 8.9" three times already both inside the case and with the case folded over. No damage. In one incident the film carried on playing.

I did discover when once picking up the Fire in case that had fallen origami side down that I found I picked it up along with many silver / gold coloured jump rings attached. (Jump rings are used to attach charms to bracelets or to join up pieces of jewellery - some too small to pick up without tweezers). What a blessing this has been. So I now purposely place the Kindle Fire on the floor near my feet after a jewellery making session to collect all the tiny dropped ring scattered about - just brush off the rings and place it on the floor again where the rings lurk.

The case also as someone else said allows sound to reach my old ears very well. My other 8.9" tablet has to be standing upright in it's Poetic case otherwise it's sound is muted.

I can watch my films horizontally on this HDX 8.9" in the case but for vertically I take the tablet out of the case and put it in a stand.

I still think the price is too high though.
on 18 January 2014
Unlike most other covers it stands in portrait mode.
That was always a problem with my iPad and I'm glad it is fixed.
I love the sturdy nature of this cover.

Downsides are not important to me:
1. It adds to the weight and bulk. In fact I think I prefer the tablet to have a bit more heft (I'm not all that strong; in case you are wondering!)
2. The slide-up facility feels a bit insecure and wobbly. I'm afraid the tablet might go flying one day!
on 23 January 2014
Good quality, does what it is supposed to recommend this cover it looks good. My husband very pleased with it
on 4 November 2014
Ways as much as the Kindle it's self, but I couldn't do without it, the stand is firm when set up and fit's perfectly. There may be one minor niggle for some people, it covers the rear camera, I wasn't planning on taking photo's while using the stand anyway. ;-)
on 27 January 2016
I bought this for my daughter's Kindle. The magnet doesn't hold the Kindle in the case well at all. I think it's more likely to get damaged falling out of the case than it is out of her hands without a case on! The auto-start camera doesn't work. The volume buttons are ok but the power button doesn't work from the case. Standing it portrait is awkward and the Kindle falls out. When the origami leaf is closed it doesn't lie flat against the Kindle and therefore doesn't offer much protection If you walked along with the case closed the tablet would fall out. I returned mine and ordered a second one as I couldn't believe it was so rubbish after all the good reviews. the second one was exactly the same and it is definitely the right one for the model we have so that's gone back too. Oh well.
on 2 June 2014
Easy to use this case provides both robust protection and an easy to use stand. I was sceptical about just how robust this case would be but after a year of constant use it still looks good and retains its shape when folded.
on 12 June 2014
I really struggled to justify buying this case. It is very expensive, almost unjustifiably so. However I have to admit that it is a piece of design genius, allowing fast and easy landscape and portrait standing.
It works on magnets, no fiddling about. Some reviewers have commented that it adds considerably to the weight, but that is only because the kindle is so insanely light on it's own. The weight does not bother me, primarily because it pops in and out so easily. If I'm stationary and care about the weight, I'll just pop it out and pop it back in afterwards. It also seems to actually have a positive amplifying effect on the Kindle speakers, adding to it's overall usage.
To summarise, it's expensive, but if you can justify the cost I really think it's worth it.
on 11 January 2016
Not as good as hoped, trying to find out how to do ordinary things is difficult, have to learn new ways of working for just about everything. Accessing Amazon itself is easy, just can't get to things like feedback with any ease, it's all about you spending money. Free apps just keep downloading when not asked for or clicked on. Yes happy with some of it, but only half