5.0 out of 5 stars Entry Level Audiophile Quality
Published 27 days ago by Tom Poore

3.0 out of 5 stars DAC is noisy
The DAC is noisy. The noise is especially apparent through headphones. The first PM6005 I received had a poppy-digitial-electronic noise when in DAC mode. I returned it, assuming that it was defective. The replacement I received was also noisy. Aside from the DAC noise, the amp is fine. It sounds great powering a pair of B&W DM602 and a pair of B&W LM1. But if I...
Published 10 days ago by Michael

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Entry Level Audiophile Quality, 29 Nov 2014
Tom Poore (South Euclid, OH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Marantz PM6005 Integrated Amplifier with Digital Input - Black (Electronics)
Now in my late 50s, I'm ripe for a mid-life crises. Although there's a new Tesla dealership going up in my neighborhood, that's a little rich for me. Besides, I'm a musician, and musicians tend to be indifferent toward their mode of transportation. Instead, we obsess over sound. Had I the means, I'd cheerfully spend the equivalent of a small country's gross national product on an audiophile system. Alas, I haven't the means.

For the aspiring audiophile, however, Marantz has just the thing. The PM6005 gives me a taste of the golden-eared sonics from the deeper end of the audio pool. It's gratifying to hear an amplifier that embraces a musician's sensitivity to sound. The PM6005 is smooth at every volume. It never sounds harsh, tinny, or clinical. Give it speakers and source components of comparable quality, and it glows.

The PM6005 also allows me to dip my toe into the arcane rituals of hardcore audiophiles. For example, it's designed to support bi-wired speakers. Does this truly improve the sound? Damned if I know. But since my speakers (KEF Q300) can be bi-wired, then bi-wired they shall be! Now I can brag that I have a bi-wired audio system, taking care to discreetly change the subject in the presence of anyone who actually comprehends audio equipment. By the way, if you do bi-wire your speakers, be sure to activate both the speaker A and speaker B buttons. The user manual doesn't tell you this. It assumes, I guess, that most users are smarter than me. (I find that vaguely insulting.)

Those accustomed to less refined audio equipment may find the bass and treble controls puzzling. Twirling these has only a slight effect on the sound. Bear in mind that audiophiles have a thing about tone controls. They despise them. To a real audiophile, tweaking the tone controls is like asking chef Ferran Adrià to please pass the ketchup. So try to remember you're moving up in the world, and deal with it.

Problems? There are a few. The volume knob has no clearly visible reference mark. From more than a few feet away it's impossible to see at what position it's set. Yes, there's a small depression in the knob, but a jet black reference mark on a jet black knob isn't a bright idea. (This is an example of otherwise smart designers who lack common sense.) Further, the PM6005 has a standby mode that can be confusing. Its function is to automatically shut down if there's no signal for 30 minutes, and it does that just fine. But if you don't know about it, this can be frustrating when you try to turn the unit back on. The first time it happened to me, I thought the unit was defective. Only by chance did I stumble onto what was wrong and got the unit working again. The user manual, a terse affair that only obliquely alludes to the problem I was having, did little to enlighten me. Most audio companies, I'm convinced, have their user manuals written by inscrutable techno geeks who speak neither English nor any other language spoken on this planet. You can, by the way, switch off the standby function.

That being said, the problems I encountered are mere quibbles quickly resolved within the learning curve of operating a new device. And they're easily brushed aside by the sheer beauty and excellence of the sound.

Perhaps the PM6005 falls short of the finest equipment costing far more. But sometimes "good enough" really is good enough. Rather than mortgage my home for, say, Audio Note's Ongaku, I'll gladly settle for the Marantz PM6005. The money I saved may inspire me to test drive a Tesla.

5.0 out of 5 stars INCREDIBLE, 2 Jan 2014
Bought this amp for £299.00. ( 24 bit dacs) improved phono stage (mm) sonically excellent spacially sounding (good tonal balance). Using my pioneer N-50 streamer plus my Ortofon 2m black cartridge with Yamaha-CDR-H-1500 CD recorder I find this amp amazing for this price regarding benefits and features and build quality. (SEE WHAT HI-FI MAY 2014 TO SHOW THE AMPS GREAT ACHIEVEMENT.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 4 Jan 2014
Joan (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
Excellent sound and really good value for money. I have some oldish Monitor Audio Silver RS1 speakers which are known to be a little "bright". However, the warmth of the amp produces a great match and it has brought them to life. The inbuilt DAC also produces superb sound from the TV. Very happy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value and a superb sound, 7 Nov 2013
TheProf (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The previous two models to this Marantz were award winning products and I imagine it is only a matter of time before this model wins a stack of awards. This is a cracking amp for the money. It puts out a detailed, crisp sound with that characteristic Marantz warmth and rich bass that I have come to love over the years. Separation and clarity are excellent and reminiscent of an amp much more expensive than this. It partners exceptionally well with Marantz's own CD players. The onboard DAC is very nice indeed and will breath new life into an old CD transport, a DVD player, etc. The amp is well put together with a stylish finish though the smaller knobs could do with a bit of a more solid feel. The amp is a good all-rounder, seeming to suit a range of different music - I use it with classical, rock (including metal), jazz and electronic music and it copes well with all of these. You don't seem to need to be too careful about what you pair it with. Although the power rating isn't that high it seems to power big floorstanders with ease. All in all, another cracking high-value, high-performing amp from Marantz that contiinues the trend set by the previous two excellent PM amps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, 18 April 2014
This was bought in conjunction with Q202oi speakers to replace an ancient JVC setup with AR speakers. I read a number of press reviews within my budget then read owner reviews before going ahead. I am well pleased with this setup and it does sound good with my 50s and 60s collection or country and western music turned up high when my wife is out. Very pleased and it was delivered in good time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good amp matters more than you might think..., 12 Dec 2014
I was always of the much-stated opinion that an amp was essentially an amp, and that the real consideration when building a hifi system should be the speakers. A few years ago I did a little test between a Sherwood amp (my main amp at the time) and a Cambridge Audio amp which I had purchased for my girlfriend. I couldn't ascertain any noticeable difference at all between the two, so I therefore considered my assumption to be correct.

I still have that Sherwood amp, and whilst in fairness it has done me proud, I decided to purchase a Marantz PM6005, mainly because I liked the idea of having a built-in audiophile DAC in the amp (as most of my music collection is now digital).

I have some Wharfdale speakers still on the way, but the amp arrived yesterday and like the big child I am, I couldn't wait to play with my new toy! The only other speakers I had at my disposal were a pair of mediocre Sony bookshelf speakers which I've had for years on a mini-hifi system in my bedroom. These speakers are NOT audiophile quality by any means - I think the entire system cost me about £200, 15 years ago. So, needless to say, I was not expecting miracles.

So I plugged everything in (on this note, one reviewer mentioned it was impossible to wire the speaker cables to the binding posts without banana plugs, but personally I didn't have any trouble at all) and used an optical cable to connect my macbook to the digital input.

Wow! Even with the shoddy Sony speakers, the level of detail in the music was incredible. Listening to a Mozart Piano Concerto, I could pick out each instrument in the orchestra clearly, and even the tiny noises of fingers on instruments and intakes of breath from the performers. I switched to some Hybrid (dark electronica): The bass was controlled and detailed, but full of punch (a word I would never have previously used with those Sony speakers!), while the mids and highs sparkled without being harsh or overpowering. I found myself laughing maniacally like some in-patient of Broadmoor Hospital (before checking myself hurriedly and wandering round the house to ensure no one else was home).

Lastly I hooked up my turntable to the phono pre-amp and played one of my favourite albums of all time - Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon (yes, cliched I know, but it is a fantastic album to be fair). It would not be an exaggeration to say that the sound stage was as broad, detailed and crisp as it had been from the digital input - the instruments and drums were all clearly defined and David's vocals sounded beautifully warm and rounded. Interestingly, a low DC rumble which I had previously assumed was an issue with my cartridge had completely disappeared as well.

...and all that through a pair of mass-produced consumer speakers. I literally can't wait for the Wharfdales to turn up now!

Yes, good speakers are extremely important in a hi-fi setup, but my little experiment proved to me that the amp can contribute far more than I ever thought previously.

5.0 out of 5 stars the first I bought after auditioning it in a shop for a second HiFi system and liked it so much that I bought the second one ..., 8 Dec 2014
I've now got two of these amplifiers, the first I bought after auditioning it in a shop for a second HiFi system and liked it so much that I bought the second one from Amazon to replace a larger 34 year old amplifier in my existing system.

I bought the second one from Peter Tyson through Amazon because they offer a 3 year warranty and were still competitive on the price. I ordered it on a Friday evening and delivery was expected on the following Monday however it was actually delivered the day after, less than 24 hours after placing the order which was very impressive.

To my ears the sound of the amplifier is faultless, punchy and very clear but not harsh. However I'm still of the somewhat now old fashioned opinion that the electronics does not have as much effect upon the sound as the loudspeakers. My existing system uses an old pair of Spendor BC1's that I bought in 1979 and the second system uses a pair of DALI Zensor 3's that I bought recently. In both pairs of speakers I found the sound to be well balanced with good bass without it being overblown and a clear treble.

Although it's subjective I also quite like the looks of the amplifier with the front face having its ends curved it's more stylish than the usual plain front. It is also well finished off and appears to be quite well built.

The only criticisms I have are that there is only one optical input and I would really have liked three so that I could connect my CD player and TV optically as well as a Marantz Network Media player. Also I agree with another reviewer that the tone controls are to say the least subtle although the loudness function is effective. I also agree that the ident on the volume control is difficult to see especially in low lights (one of my amplifiers is black and the other is silver but both are difficult to see). I would also add that it's difficult to read which input has been selected from a distance and it would have been better to have a larger display for this rather than a light below a legend but then I suppose this would have increased the price.

However, apart from only the single digital input, these criticisms are relatively minor and I'm happy to give it the full five stars and recommend it to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sounding amplifier, 9 Mar 2014
Great sounding amplifier: the sound detail and dynamic range is great.
Having a high-grade built-in DAC means that I can just connect it to my PS3 or computer and enjoy high quality sound independently of the source.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great build in DAC, 11 Jun 2014
What can I say. This is a great Stereo amplifier. I am pairing this with a Logitech Squeezebox Duet. The DAC on this is definitely superior to the relevant DAC in the Squeezebox. This amp is great with a pair of Q Acoustic 2020i's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Replaced my 25 year old Gennexa amplifier - finally., 23 Jun 2014
Tim Spencer "n1cked" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I love this amp - I bought it along with the CD6005 CD player and have it paired with a pioneer turntable and some BX2 monitor audio speakers. It took a couple of weeks to "break in" - but now it has I have to say, for a set up in this price range the sound is staggering. I was thinking that 45 Watts is a little underpowered (previous Amp was 150W) - but don't be put off - it sounds LOUD when cranked-up and is eminently able. Performs a very able balance between clarity and warmth with very good stereo reproduction.

Not sure about the "source direct" option - I prefer it switched off (adding a little colour to the music). Saying that though, it is great to have the option. Plus the AD/DA convertor (you get optical and coaxial inputs) is outstanding...

Highly recommended.