on 29 December 2013
If like me streaming is your thing then you should really consider this system!

Having used various products over the years, including currently an Airport express connected to my HiFi in the living room which allows me to airplay my itunes library from my iMac; I decided to add some sounds to another room, I did quite a bit of research and looked at things like Sonos and B&W's A5, but a friend then recommended this system to me as they had just bought the bigger version with CD built in. I didn't need to play CD's so the Melody Stream made perfect sense.

Setup was a breeze and I was able to Airplay my existing library in a matter of minutes. I'm using it with a pair of Q Acoustics Concept 20 speakers and it sounds fantastic, in some ways it's even better than my main HiFi system, I think the ability of being able to place my speakers where I want them makes a big difference to the stereo soundstage than the single box solutions I also looked at, this little system packs a big punch.
on 6 September 2014
I have had this for about 9 months now and am still very happy with it. I have it paired with a Tannoy V1i speakers. The sound is really good for such a small unit. It was a doddle to set up, instantly picking up my miniDNLA media server. Mine is networked via a homeplug rather than wireless.

The casing is high gloss black plastic and doesn't have any vent holes on the top surface so looks fine sat on top of a sideboard rather than being buried in a hifi rack. I bought mainly for the network streaming and internet radio. Navigating a big music library via the remote is ok, the display gives you a clear tree structure to 'walk' down and you can shuffle tracks at any branch of of the tree. One gripe is that it would be really helpful if you could press one of the alphanumeric keys on the remote to jump to that letter. E.g. if yo want to listen to an artist in the middle of the alphabet you have to manually scroll down which is a bit tedious. I haven't used the USB ports at all.

The internet radio works really well and has been fine as a replacement to a Pure DAB radio in the kitchen. I takes a little time to kick in once you hit the on button as it has to buffer the stream. It comes with a huge list of internet radio stations including all the BBC and main UK commercial stations. You can assign radio stations to presets.

Others have mentioned that the android app from Marantz is a bit clunky. I agree. I prefer to use the android app 'Bubble uPNP' which allows me to browse my media server on my phone and send music to the Marantz. I have also used this app to send podcasts from my phone to it.

Since purchase Marantz have pushed down a 3 or 4 firmware update notifications. Each one has installed with no problems, though I have not noticed any differences to behaviour. I also haven't had any stability problems with it. Good to know that Marantz and actively supporting the product with bug fixes/improvements.

A cracking little unit and every home should have one!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 3 January 2014
This is a great system, small good looking and very easy to use. Setup was really simple with the unit finding my wireless network in a few moments. I am currently using it with an old pair of Wharfedale diamond speakers which are fine for now but are next on my list to change.

The sound is very detailed and female vocal such as Katie Melua is amazing.

Feature wise the system delivers everything that I expected including internet radio which I am now starting to explore and have already found some nice stations from Cyprus.

Whilst I’m in the process of transferring my compact disc collection onto a mybookworld NAS drive, I am tending to make use of my Spotify account, which works really well with this system.

I had one concern before buying as there are conflicting reviews to do with how the unit deals with files on a USB stick, whilst this is not something I expect to do often it is a great feature to have if friends or family visit, and I am pleased to say that having tested the functionality I cannot find any issue with playing files from a 4gb USB in random mode, so it seems that as long as you store the music in a folder (as described by Violawench’s review) then everything works fine.

To sum up a great little system, that sounds fantastic and looks pretty cute too.
on 13 December 2013
I chose this system after many years of owning separate Marantz components, I did some research and my choice seemed to come down to two models this one or the bigger version with CD (I believe its called Melody Media).

My final decision was driven by the simple fact that I needed to free up some space at home and as I have already transferred my CD collection to a Nas drive with iTunes, I have no need for the CD player bit.

The only things remaining from my old system is the Mission speakers which are still small enough to sit on my bookshelves.

The Stream unit was smaller than I had expected, and I was pleasantly surprised at how good this unit looks in the flesh, pictures do not do it justice.

Setup was easy, it took me about 15 minutes to get everything up and running with my BT home hub, and I must say that whilst I was sceptical that this little box would be as good as my old kit, I am amazed, it sounds really good - its clear, punchy and very detailed, I'm hearing things that I have never noticed before.

I recently started getting into Jazz and internet radio function is brilliant as can now find loads of different stations, there is sometimes a slight delaying in finding them but expect that's more to do with the internet than anything else

I’ve downloaded the remote app for my iPhone and am pretty impressed with that so far but have not had that much time to really play with it.

Downsides? The only one so far is that the beautiful glossy black finish is not that suitable if there are young children around with sticky fingers, so I’m making it out of bounds and may have to move it up a shelf or two.

So if you you're looking for a great sounding and looking music system then I would certainly recommend this one.
on 27 December 2013
My music just got better

For the past several years I’ve been listening to my music on an all in one dock speaker, which I thought did not sound too bad, WOW was I wrong!

Just purchased the Melody Stream system along with some Tannoy V1i speakers and am absolutely blown away by the difference this system makes, I’m already hearing things that I have not heard before and that’s with most of my music stored as MP3 128kbs in iTunes on my PC. I am now experimenting with storing my music at higher bit rates and in lossless formats and am finding even greater detail. I’m just trying to find the happy medium between quality and file size, but with storage prices becoming cheaper I will probably re-rip my music to lossless as so far this has been the biggest difference.

I like the way the system works, it’s easy to use and was simple to setup; however due to thick walls and the layout of my flat I have problems with Wi-Fi so am using Netgear homeplugs which send the music over my power cables and this works really well.

So far I’m really impressed and am enjoying rediscovering my music collection.

If there was one concern I had before buying this it was the lack of a built in DAB radio but I’ve found the internet radio feature certainly makes up for this.
on 4 May 2014
Looked at these long and hard before I took the plunge and ordered. It's even smaller than I thought but looks very sleek in gloss black. Only one set of analogue inputs so had to buy a splitter to connect the cd and audio transmitter (from my laptop) Didn't take long to connect wirelessly to my home network and sort Spotify out although the led screen is absolutely no use unless you are sat right on top of it as it is so small. Downloaded the Marantz app onto my android phone and it works .... just, it really is slow and clunky as hell but it is fit for purpose. So, it plays Spotify I can run my cd player through it, it connects to my NAS drive wirelessly, I can Airplay to it from iTunes, I run my tv through it and my audio transmitter oh yes and my ipod through the front port so it ticks all the boxes. Did I mention the sound? It sounds fantastic!!!!! sweet and musical but still packs a punch through my Boston Acoustics A25's.

It ticks all my boxes.
on 3 July 2015
I work in the IT industry and know how to set-up and run wired (Ethernet) and wireless networks. I have spent three hours with this unit without managing to get a connection. If you have IT knowledge give this product a miss; if you don't definitely give it a miss.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 28 November 2013
I decided to make the move to go digital and ripped all of my CD's to my computer. These are now stored away out of sight and I don't miss having a CD player for one second. The quality of sound from the Marantz is great and I can stream all my albums from my computer and also my Spotify account.

After reading the last review I was worried about random playback but I've found if you make sure all of your music files and folders are inside one main folder on the USB stick the random function works just fine. I tend to stream mostly from my computer and Spotify though but being able to play back from a USB stick is a nice feature.

I've lost my CD player and I'm never looking back!
on 4 January 2014
the sound of the mcr 510 is amazing, i use a pair of wharfedale diamond speakers with the marantz receiver, and it works great, i can recommend this product. its a little bit expensive but it is very good.
on 9 January 2014
got this home last night and so far I'm delighted. Over the last couple of months I've purchased a new record player and some new speakers, and they were really showing up my 17 year old amp (Was from an old Technics midi system). I finally took the plunge on this after the drop in price and I'm so pleased that I did.

The sound is crisp and clear, and works brilliantly through the Acoustic 2020i's that I already have. The turntable also sounds fantastic through it (I bought a Cambridge Audio 551p for the phono stage) and I nearly wet myself after hearing the sound quality that was produced when playing one of my records earlier today!

The internet radio stations are also easy to work through on the system and are made even easier by the remote app. The app makes things like Spotify a lot easier as well.

My favourite thing is playing Spotify (the app for iPad, rather than the remote app) and it connecting wirelessly via Airplay. No more untidy cables!

All in all it does everything that I want in one box. Was a doddle to set up, connects wirelessly to various music sources on the iPad/laptop, connects to a ton of internet radio stations (BBC 6 music for me) and (twinned with the external phono stage) plays my records. Most importantly, it also sounds amazing.

I cannot recommend highly enough.