5.0 out of 5 stars Better and Better, 15 July 2013
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Three albums in and I see no reason at all to abandon Mayer Hawthorne
(aka Andrew Cohen). His first two releases : 'A Strange Arrangement' (2009)
and 'How Do You Do' (2011) marked out his territory; a species of crisp,
classy soulful pop; impeccably sung, arranged and produced; melodic writing
of the very finest order. Mr Cohen's new recording 'Where Does This Door Go'
delivers a remarkably coherent set of thirteen new songs (seventeen if you choose
the 'Deluxe' option), all of which are every bit as good as his earlier recordings.
Truth-be-told there are a few numbers in this collection which could easily stand
shoulder to shoulder with the work of some of the finest singer/songwriters of the
past half-century. It's a mystery to me why he isn't better known. He should be!

Take a composition like opening track 'Back Seat Lover'; it could have crept
into Steely Dan's debut album 'Can't Buy A Thrill' (1972) without Donald Fagen
and Walter Becker even noticing! The electric piano and guitar licks are simply
delicious but it's the tune (and what a fine tune it is) and those perfectly
wrought vocal harmonies which totally convince of Mr Cohen's musical worth.
It's a largely upbeat project. 'Wine Glass Woman' and 'Reach Out Richard'
deserve special mentions as much for their crisp rhythmic complexity as for
Mr Cohen's effortless falsetto. Final track 'All Better', however, delivers
the project's most affecting moment; the spirits of the Fab Four might well
have been watching from the wings during this most memorable of conclusions.

Mayer Hawthorne is an great idea that just gets better and better.

Highly Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Stars are yours tonight Mayer Hawthorne, 23 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Where Does This Door Go (Audio CD)
To cut to the chase, I heard "the stars are ours" thinking it was Steely Dan. I was stunned when I heard this was a new track from MH. I had not heard of him before and was hooked imediately (goosebumps aplenty). I purchased the album on the strength of "the Stars are ours" and thats where the problems started (only joking). I could not believe that there is this artist producing such quality and I have only just heard of him. This is pure genious. The style of music is so fresh, it incorporates so many genres and the quality of every track is just excellent. It is going to be very hard to find an album that is up to the standard of Mayer Hawthorne and I just hope that he continues to produce such quality music in the future.

To give you an idea of what his music sounds like you will need to consider the following artists Steely Dan, Jamiroquai, Maroon 5, Justin Timberlake there is even some traits of Harry Connick Jnr (If you have heard his "She" album), there are elements of acid jazz, hip hop and so much soul that it is hard to beat.

Also check out his live performances on youtube, incredible!

Don't take my word for it, just treat yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mayer Hawthorne does it again, 13 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Where Does This Door Go (Audio CD)
Brilliant CD again from Mayer, and I love that Amazon gives you a free digital download as well. It hasn't been out of my cd player since I received it. I cannot believe this guy is not a superstar.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 28 July 2013
This review is from: Where Does This Door Go (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of Mayer since his first album,A Strange Arrangement.On this third album he has taken a slightly different direction,if anything more mainstream.But a lot more mature than the dross you hear on the radio.

5.0 out of 5 stars Won`t regret buying this superb album, 6 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Where Does This Door Go (Audio CD)
I was introduced to Mayer Hawthorne with the previous album which was excellent in which you tell he listened to the Motown sound along with the soul of the 60`s and 70`s. On this album he is more funky and a little edgier. Track 2 is a real nod to the sound and style of steely Dan - no bad thing ! I really rate this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 17 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Where Does This Door Go (Audio CD)
Only bought the album as he is supporting Bruno Mars at newcastle but I was very surprised. It is an excellent buy. Love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful album. Urge people to listen that have never ..., 15 July 2014
This review is from: Where Does This Door Go (Audio CD)
Wonderful album. Urge people to listen that have never heard of Mayer. Saw him in concert and he sounded live exactly the same as on cd. This is really upbeat and makes you feel happy and summery, especially certain tracks. Would highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The impressive Mayer Hawthorne, 6 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Where Does This Door Go (Audio CD)
Glad I made the effort to track down this artist after I heard him on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show. Thought I had missed something great from the 70s or 80s. Really grows on you and so diverse. I think at times he's great hip hop or funk then he's rhythm and melody smooth and jazzy Steely Dan somewhere that was called Yacht Rock but always he's a great soul sound a Four Tops or Temptations Man for today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 27 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Where Does This Door Go (Audio CD)
Mayer hawthorne is fast becoming my favourite artist, funky and soulful! If you haven't tried his previous albums then I strongly recommend you do!

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem, 31 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Where Does This Door Go (Audio CD)
I saw Mayer Hawthorne supporting Bruno Mars, and thought his act was great. So I thought about buying the album. Having read the reviews, I thought I'd give it a go. I now think it's possibly my favorite album, especially of albums bought over the last 5 years. It is a such a great mix of lyrics and the tunes to match them. The production is fantastic. If you're in any doubt, just buy it! Along with other customers, I have no idea why this group isn't more well known. Maybe better that way, as can avoid becoming too commercial. A brilliant album.