4.0 out of 5 stars A lot Better than I Feared
Published 9 months ago by sirmascot

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun for a while
It's initially good fun to play, but the fact that cities are so small and limited in size, and wit no terrain editor to create your own maps it become a little boring quite quickly. After a week I was bored of it having built some nice cities.

Published 9 months ago by JP Morrissey

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot Better than I Feared, 10 Feb 2014
This review is from: SimCity [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
I was one of EA’s biggest critics when they brought this game out last year with ‘small’ cities, the constant online requirement and the necessity to co-operate with others online annoyed me. I recently started re-playing simcity 4 but it kept crashing on windows 8.1. Then someone recommended Anno 2070, which is fine if you like water and a linear plot line, but it didn’t fill the craving. So I decided to take the plunge and purchase the basic game of SimCity 5. Best decision I ever made, yes EA are greedy (just look at Dungeon Keeper mobile for further proof), but they know how to make a good game that sucks you in and is very atmospheric. Here is what I found:
1. You can play solo, you just make your region private and build all the cities yourself. Or just invite your friends.
2. No server issues now, I was able to play whenever I wanted for as long as I wanted.
3. You will enjoy the cooperation between cities, and like me will probably want to coop after a bit.
4. Yes the cities aren’t huge, but then you specialise in one city and build another for different things. For instance you can have a university in one city that serves the region and mining in another city to serve the region. You can even have one large police station or fire service to serve the entire region, this frees up space in other cities.
5. There are regions where everyone has to cooperate to build a massive project, like a space station or international airport. This will take resources from all the cities so a lot of solo effort or team work required.
6. You can follow every sim and ask them for opinions. Responding to their requests appeals to the god like responsibility of being the mayor (in a God game).

I have now upgraded to the deluxe version, then I panicked when my city was attacked by a giant red Barney/Godzilla monster, only to laugh with relief when it devoured all my garbage before expiring. This game has some minor issues but they are overshadowed by the sheer quality, ingenuity and enjoyment of the game. If you liked the original series, or you’re a fan of building empires, this game is for you.
PC wise my pc is pretty new, with an average graphics card, 16GB RAM and running windows 8.1. Not sure how it will run on an older pc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Be Put Off, 19 May 2014
This review is from: SimCity [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
There were many angry voices surrounding the release of this title, and justifiably so. The server issues alone were worthy of dissent, and the "always-online" nature of this game caused much angst. Considering the single-player nature of Sim City games past, you can understand why having to be permanently connected caused so much grief, but I've always felt that people got swept up in the whole anti-EA wave that the sheer charm within this game was overlooked.

First up - is this a Sim City game? Yes it is. It's immediately familiar. If you're a fan of the previous titles there's nothing here to alienate you. You zone, you improve, you balance the budget, you improve some more. It's familiar stuff.

Second - do you have to always be online now? No you don't. EA have implemented a single player option, though you forfeit access to many of the more enjoyable (covered later) online features.

Third - why do I want to be online anyway? Simply put, it's a wonderful addition to the gameplay. There is no overt presence here, it's like a wonderfully overarching element of gameplay. You build within regions, choosing a plot of land with resources within it. These resources can dictate (or not) what type of city you'd like to build. Others join the region and do the same on their plots of land. You share resources, shipping them to each other for money, helping each other out. It's a pleasant, non-competitive game in which you assist those around you. Indeed, shaping your city to best serve the wider region is one of the most rewarding gameplay elements I've seen, alongside the mutual co-op efforts toward largescale super-projects like a huge solar plant, or an acropolis.

Fourth - But the city sizes are small, right? Smaller, yes. But this is because the intention is to build a city to contribute to a region, rather than a standalone behemoth capable of doing everything. Don't get me wrong, I loved building megalopis' too, but I must say I love building focused city plots also. Right now I'm building an education centre for the region - everyone around me is seamlessly focusing on their own. We have an industrial supplier, a casino and tourism centre, a future technology city and more. We're all working together, and it's massively rewarding.

Lest I make this an essay, let me say this - do not be put off. I can't speak to technical issues as I have had none. But the game, if you're a Sim City fan, will reward you time and again. It isn't the Sim City of yore, but then I believe it shouldn't try to be anyway. This is a new era, connected gaming, cloud processing, super-charming......it will leave you smiling. Don't let the hype dampen your prospects with this game, it's worth a punt.

See you around, Mayor!

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun for a while, 15 Feb 2014
This review is from: SimCity [Online Game Code] (Software Download)

It's also seems to be not as in depth as previous version. Still waiting for ta offline mode to keep me amused when on the train.

1.0 out of 5 stars does not work, 29 Dec 2013
This review is from: SimCity [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
wont load or even attempt to open, seriously the ea help line are useful as chocolate teapots.....how do i get refund

4.0 out of 5 stars Make sure your computer is up to the task, 30 Oct 2013
This review is from: SimCity [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
The game play is great, having people coming from other cities to spend and make money in yours is cool, and with so many ways to specialise. The only down side is my laptop graphics card isn't fast enough so I've had to lower the graphics! But they are still impressive! Definitely a worthwhile purchase

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun for a few hours, but seriously hampered by small city sizes., 26 Aug 2014
This review is from: SimCity [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
I've played all versions of this game, and this one naturally evolves the graphics and game play to a new level.

Its fun to play, although it defaults to online version, which means you are in a region with other areas for cities controlled by other people. You can collaborate with these people and trade various things, which sounds great in principle. The problem is, however, that there is no guarantee when that person will play, if they will give up, if they are any good, etc. I much prefer playing single player and building multiple cities of my own.

So yes, there are some nice advances in this game and it is very pretty.. there are a couple of major flaws though. Firstly, if playing online, there are bugs around certain interactions with other cities. I sent a large amount of cash to another city of my own in the region to help it start up.. and it disappeared all together. This is a bug a lot of people have experienced.

The biggest problem is, though, that the city sizes are waaaay too small. You fill it up so quickly and then you just find yourself waiting for density to increase. With no room to expand into, it becomes very boring. You get a little bit of extra enjoyment by building other cities in the region, and then you just get bored of it all together.

In a nutshell, good for a weeks worth of play, before probably not playing again for a long time. Shame, as this could all have been resolved by bigger cities.. which I assume were limited due to being able to click on every house and sim.. something that you hardly ever do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic reborn, 14 April 2014
This review is from: SimCity [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
The classic city simulator with a modern online play element to it. Great game and now I've finally upgraded my graphics card I can finally play it smoothly :)

2.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money... thanks again EA....., 4 Oct 2014
This review is from: SimCity [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
While this is a decent game, mildly entertaining. It has no replay value since there is basically no customisation options the landscape cannot be edited, you cannot import sims. Also the cities are confined to a small grid forcing you to run out of space very quickly. Then comes the replay value again.... multiplayer? Its not social theres no chat appart from origin which is a hassle there seems to be no benefit to having other players cities next to you. All in all single player boring after 2 or 3 cities. Multiplayer boring after 1 because you find yourself going back to single player. Poor adaptation of a classic. Instead of wasting money on this buy sim city 4 graphics are just as good and that is much more in depth and enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars I jumped in at the deep end after reading so many bad reviews but glad I did cause it love this, 4 July 2014
This review is from: SimCity [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
I have personally had no problems what so ever with this game so that's all I can say really, I jumped in at the deep end after reading so many bad reviews but glad I did cause it love this game

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, affordable buy., 27 Jun 2014
This review is from: SimCity [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
Cheap, reliable, fast. Better than buying it on origin.
No lies/ hoaxes, just a game code and hours of fun.

SimCity  [Online Game Code]