4.0 out of 5 stars Decent but lacking a bit of inspiration
This is a decent book with a fairly wide variety of recipes. Most recipes have photographs accompanying them, which are of a pretty good standard. The idea as stated on the cover is "really exciting recipes in 20 minutes" which necessarily means that there's nothing too complicated. I think the proportion of fish/seafood dishes is too high and there is not enough...
Published 15 months ago by red0209

3.0 out of 5 stars A mix
This cookbook is okay, but I wasn't overly impressed by it. There was nothing that made me think, "that sounds amazing, must make it today!" - it reminded me of the kind of dishes I might make when needing to use up bits and pieces in my fridge (I know this contradicts other reviewers who've said the ingredients are not cupboard staples, and while I agree they aren't...
Published 12 months ago by MousieTongue's KM

‹ Previous | 110 11 12 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 21 Oct 2014
LOVE JAMES BUT DO NOT LIKE THIS COLLECTION

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 21 Nov 2014
Exactly as described thanks very much

4.0 out of 5 stars Well pleased. Some very good ideas, 4 Dec 2014
Well pleased.Some very good ideas.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not suitable for Kindle, 17 Jan 2014
This review is from: Fast Cooking: Really exciting recipes in 20 minutes (Kindle Edition)
I could not read this on my kindle or Surface RT as the print was too small. After reporting this to Amazon they gave me a refund. Sad really.
It seems to me that things like this need to be checked out before offering things for sale on digital devices.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice recipes, 1 Jan 2014
FLB (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a nice cookbook for people who are bored with their usual mealtime repertoire but don't want to spend hours in the kitchen. It makes a nice gift as it is a good quality cookbook with pretty simple recipes.

2.0 out of 5 stars I like James Martin but ......., 19 Dec 2013
Dr. D. E. Goldwater "dodiceleedoo" (Bushey, Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have both Jamie's 30 minute meals and 15 minute meals and, although none of the meals take less than an hour to prepare, I love the recipes as they are very straightforward and have never failed.

This book feels like it is trying to be Jamie but I think it misses the mark.

The look of the book is very similar. Nice photography, glossy pages, good portrates of the man himself. The back looks almost identical to the Jamie books with small tile pictures of the food.

Down to business. The recipes are just not that appealing. I have not thought - 'I must make this' at all as I did with the Jamie books. The photos quite often to not match the recipes. The recipe may be for something on a bed of special rice but the picture does not show this. I think this is a bit of a shame as you don't know what to aim for.

There is loads and loads of fish in the book and little vegi food which is fine if you like fish but not so good otherwise.

Again, I don't think that anything could possibly take 20 minutes but that is symptomatic of all this type of book.

Some other reviewers have complained about difficult to source ingredients but there is not much that a well stocked larder cupboard would not have.

So, I think this book misses the mark for me. I would have a thumb through before buying it as I am not sure I would have plumped for it if I had have dome my due diligence.

3.0 out of 5 stars good if you like fish, 30 Nov 2013
Thinker - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Was really looking forward to this and liked the idea of ideas cooked in less time.

Very disappointing, nearly half book is fish, half, it was beyond belief,I looked at contents again to see if missed something but no, starters, main, pud, not a special fish book.

Also disappointed to see if an ingredient mentioned once it seemed to be adopted, for example, banana, you see it once then more more, and the recipes were not cheap.

I can honestly say there was just one recipe I fancied trying,a few more puds I fancied eating but not making as it would cost to much.

Not sure these are all 20 min meals in the average kitchen either.

Wish chefs would do books with twists on more everyday food, as they are everyday for a reason.

Book is nice quality and well presented and laid out, pictures of most food, but only nice if you love fish otherwise a waste of your money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Favourite cook of my daughter in law., 24 Nov 2013
I am sure it will be a welcome Christmas present, since she enjoys cooking and she is good at it.

5.0 out of 5 stars James Martin, 22 Nov 2013
Shaya (Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Another cook book by a famous TV chef James Martin, well written with some nice recipes inside.

As always with these TV Chefs there is always a few and sometimes more recipes that no one would want to attempt to eat even if someone prepared it. This one has some very good down to earth recipes with headings such as Fish Main courses and Puds (Some nice puds too)

I have no problem recommending this one

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast performance, 18 Nov 2013
Michael Watson "skirrow22" (Halifax, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There are one or two recipes in this book which I would find hard to deal with, mainly from not sourcing one or two ingrediants or finding myself without a blow-torch!

However, in the main, these are excellent and simple recipes, easy to follow. In some cases, though I am a big fan of anchovies, especially now that the major supermarkets are selling them but I have been struggling to vary the changes with this fish. The pan roasted spuds featuring them is a delight.

I have tried quite a few of them but in order for me to comply with the Vine protocol, I cannot comment of many of the recipes.

I enjoyed the Baked Eggs with smoked salmon and adored the smoked haddock omelette, so if these three are a marker for the rest, this book should be winner with any cook needing some quick meals without fuss.

‹ Previous | 110 11 12 | Next ›