4.0 out of 5 stars Decent but lacking a bit of inspiration
This is a decent book with a fairly wide variety of recipes. Most recipes have photographs accompanying them, which are of a pretty good standard. The idea as stated on the cover is "really exciting recipes in 20 minutes" which necessarily means that there's nothing too complicated. I think the proportion of fish/seafood dishes is too high and there is not enough...
Published 14 months ago by red0209

3.0 out of 5 stars A mix
This cookbook is okay, but I wasn't overly impressed by it. There was nothing that made me think, "that sounds amazing, must make it today!" - it reminded me of the kind of dishes I might make when needing to use up bits and pieces in my fridge (I know this contradicts other reviewers who've said the ingredients are not cupboard staples, and while I agree they aren't...
Published 11 months ago by MousieTongue's KM

‹ Previous | 19 10 11 12 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book with great, 10 Oct 2014
Firstly, I have to admit to being an avid Martini (James's followers) so any review of mine will be biased. Good book with great pics

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, nice good, 6 Aug 2014
This review is from: Fast Cooking: Really exciting recipes in 20 minutes (Kindle Edition)
Great book. Simple, easy recipes to follow and all quick to complete when you are short of time. Look forward to reading more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 28 Oct 2014
This was bought as a present for my daughter. She has done some of the recipes and likes it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 20 Aug 2014
James Martin at his best, fail safe recipes, easy to follow, very pleased with purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle byers beware, 5 Jan 2014
Fast Cooking: Really Exciting Recipes in 20 MinutesThis may be a really good book, hard to say as you can't download it onto Kindle for PC or Kindle keyboard (fairly old, at least 2 years) got it on my android phone unfortunately there's no option to enlarge the print and expanding it just makes the print blurry! This is the first time I've encountered problems such as these so I suppose I should be grateful right?

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 24 Sep 2014
love this book great recipes well written and easy to follow

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, fine etc, but not inspiring, 2 Nov 2013
Rosey Lea (london, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm generally a fan of James Martin books. His first two books Eating in with James Martin and James Martin's Delicious!: The Deli Cookbook are in constant use in my kitchen, so I'm always excited to see a new book from James. Disappointingly for me, this one doesn't inspire me. There's nothing 'wrong', it's just that nothing jumps out.

As an overview:
1. The recipes are primarily fish (quick to cook!) and/or Asian based. So if you don't like seafood or Asian dressings there's not much for you here.
2. The ingredients aren't all easy to come by, and some are relatively expensive. You'd need a larger 'extra' type supermarket at least. (One recipe calls for Ponzu juice, which I've never seen outside specialist Japanese stores.)
3. With so much use of palm sugar, I'm left wondering whether James has shares in it.
4. James's books usually have good advice for substitutions ("If haven't got X, use Y"). There's none this time around.
5. Not all recipes have an accompanying photos.
6. There's a surprising amount of alcohol use in the recipes.

The book will stay for the moment, but I expect it to be winging it's way unused to the charity shop by new year.

I'll still be pleased to see whatever book James puts out next.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 21 Oct 2014
LOVE JAMES BUT DO NOT LIKE THIS COLLECTION

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 21 Nov 2014
Exactly as described thanks very much

2.0 out of 5 stars Not suitable for Kindle, 17 Jan 2014
I could not read this on my kindle or Surface RT as the print was too small. After reporting this to Amazon they gave me a refund. Sad really.
It seems to me that things like this need to be checked out before offering things for sale on digital devices.

‹ Previous | 19 10 11 12 | Next ›