5.0 out of 5 stars For me, an eye opener

Published 8 months ago by Katie Brooker

5.0 out of 5 stars For me, an eye opener, 24 Oct 2013
ShaunOK "Book Addict" (England, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I loved this. I'm not a Patsy Kensit 'fan', to be honest I've only ever associated her with Emmerdale and marriage to Liam Gallagher but then I'm only young so most of the things she writes about here occurred either before I was born or was too young to take notice of. Sadie King is one of my favourite ever Emmerdale characters though and I was interested to see what she wrote about the Krays and her father's criminal past. About the Krays, not so much, her father's past a little bit but nothing too informative.

She writes about how when she was growing up people assumed that she was a rich kid from a privileged background and to be honest I thought the same. In fact it turns out that she comes from a very poor background and has fought for everything that she has got. It's crazy to imagine this young girl from a poor area of London flying across the world to work with Elizabeth Taylor but that's what Patsy did and I think it's amazing. I had no idea of the acting background that she's had and just how many films and TV shows she has been in. Okay a lot of them may have been small roles but some of them were major roles and with some of the biggest names in the business at that time.

I enjoyed reading the chapters about her previous relationships especially the one with Liam. She didn't really slate him too much or place too much emphasis on the bad times however but then how much of what the press wrote is true is questionable as Patsy warns the reader in the book. Patsy came across as friendly and lovely in the book, which is how she appears in real life. She is very honest about the problems she has faced in her life, including her battle with weight and the negative reaction she often received from colleagues. However it was the chapters about her mother that were most touching. It is clear that they both loved each other very much and reading about her mother's battle with cancer and eventual passing was quite emotional.

However the biggest shock for me in the whole book was finding out that she auditioned and rehearsed to play the role of Emily in Friends! Now I am somebody who hates every love interest of both Ross and Rachel but I especially dislike Emily! I'm trying to imagine whether I would've liked Emily had she been played by Patsy! Not to mention whether the character would've lasted longer as I believe Helen Baxendale had to leave due to pregnancy. Patsy however didn't want to potentially tie herself down to anything longer than a guest role and chose to work on her marriage with Liam instead.

Overall I loved this book and recommend it to Patsy fans or anybody who loves a good read. It's very honest, emotional and quite funny in parts. Especially the bits in Malta when Patsy was filming with Elizabeth Hurley. The film she was making was filmed on a boat docked by the village that was built for the film Popeye. I have visited said village and it was, interesting... Patsy says Malta was a bit rubbish at the time she visited but when I went in 2007 I loved it. Perhaps for two young girls as herself and Elizabeth were it may have been a bit quiet. Overall a fantastic read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Only scrapes the surface, 8 Nov 2013
I couldn't wait to read this book - so many questions re Patsy's relationships and personal life whilst married to Oasis frontman - I didn't get any of this. I seemed to remember Patsy going into rehab in the late '90's but then thought I must have imagined it as nothing of this nature was was covered in the book. When I googled she had been to rehab - but there is no mention of her battle with drugs etc. Her last marriage wasn't even detailed (as in why it went wrong) - which was another of the many questions I wanted to be answered (and there were no children from that marriage that had to be considered when writing). The book is just a detailed account of her career - which is obviously fine if that's what you're interested in reading about. Unfortunately - I'm not.

5.0 out of 5 stars an enjoyable read, 18 Oct 2013
I've always liked Patsy and after reading this I like her more. She's lived life and the book is full of witty anecdotes. As a previous reviewer said she doesn't 'dish the dirt' or blame anyone for her relationship breakdowns, she acknowledges the good in others and that sometimes she made bad choices. She's a family girl who adored her parents, and loves her brother, pals and most of all her sons. I wish her good luck for the future, lovely lady.

4.0 out of 5 stars From Peas to Premiers, a class act all the way!, 11 Oct 2013
Ms. Nancy Buckland "foxymissb" (Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Absolute Beginner: The Autobiography (Kindle Edition)
I am just a couple of years younger than Patsy Kensit and have always been fascinated by her. I remember her face from the TV as a young girl, but she really shot to fame when Absolute Beginners came out. I remember that time well - she was literally everywhere. Over the years I have pieced together what I have known about her, but after she did the TV show unearthing some of her family roots I did hope she would put pen to paper. Patsy pulls no punches in describing her early days and the contrast between living in poverty and making films with Elizabeth Taylor is stark, and I enjoyed learning more about her childhood. The most interesting marriage in the book isn't even Patsy's, it is the relationship between her parents which is perplexing and very much of its time. Patsy is respectful of her father but lets the reader know that her father's life on the fringes of crime was something she would never want for her own children. What shines most in the book is Patsy's love for her mother, who was ill for most of Patsy's childhood and seems a remarkable character, ferrying Patsy to film sets, visiting her husband in prison, constantly fighting off cancer....now hers is a life story I would also like to read! We are so used to warts-and-all accounts of lives and marriages these days, and this book is quite tame in describing Patsy's married life. If you are looking for sex, and drugs n' rock and roll you won't find it here. As a result, you still feel you don't get to know Patsy as much as you would like to. However, I think it is in deference to her relationship to her sons that she hasn't bad-mouthed any of her husbands, and that's unusual in this day and age. My only disappointment is that there weren't more photos, as I do think they always add to a good story. I enjoyed this book, and well done to Patsy, who is a lady right to the very last page!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good reading, highly recommended., 15 Jan 2014
RIW (Suffolk UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Absolute Beginner: The Autobiography (Kindle Edition)
Glad to have bought is good reading. I love to read about people who are in the headlines who, after reading about them, you understand that they are just like you really.

5.0 out of 5 stars Patsy Kensit, 8 Jan 2014
Very honest, I feel I got to know the real Patsy. did not realise Patsy worked in so many films whether good or bad.

2.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Disappointing, 19 May 2014
This review is from: Absolute Beginner: The Autobiography (Kindle Edition)
I was really looking forward to reading this book but unfortunately it didn't live up to my expectations.
I feel it was self indulgent, safe and lacked the real 'meat' and 'bones' of PK's life.
Maybe it has been written more for her children to read which is why it lacked any real grit or depth. Who is to know.

2.0 out of 5 stars Patsy Kensit Autobiography, 3 May 2014
No revelations, what's the point of an autobiography if you're not telling the whole story, may as well have been called Patsy Kensit the working years! Disappointed to be honest

3.0 out of 5 stars A story of two halves, 19 April 2014
This review is from: Absolute Beginner: The Autobiography (Kindle Edition)
The first half of the book is well written and reflective. Patsy writes in great detail about her childhood and her parents marriage. She clearly adored her Mum and whilst the reader can ponder on its impact on her later years, this is where any real refection stops. In the second half, Patsy falls into the trap of trying to defend her multiple marriages and redress the balance of public perception based on tabloid stories. However, the assumption that the reader is aware of her tabloid back story is a mistake. I was left with a feeling of a few chapters being missed and a story half told. Such a pity.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute Joy...Well It Was Very Good At Least, 27 Jan 2014
Matthew Stoneman "90's Guy" (North Devon, England) - See all my reviews
(WARNING: The review of this book may or more likely will contain spoilers!)

Do you know what's good about doing some volunteer work in a library? It's active, but quiet and peaceful work at the same time...plus you get a library card to use when you see fit. I was drawn to Patsy Kensit's autobiography "Absolute Beginner" after hearing about an erratic interview she gave on ITV's This Morning whilst promoting the book, and when I saw a copy on the shelves I felt an unusual urge to check it out. A comical and pathetic reason to read a book, maybe, but the positive fascination I felt during and after the read was honest, serious and genuine. A read I very much enjoyed.

The events covered in "Absolute Beginner" include Patsy's early life; her parents' (and Father's in particular) colourful pasts; her big Hollywood break with Lethal Weapon 2; her lively but ultimately failed marriages; and her second coming as an actress in the soap world of Emmerdale. It's a nonstop ride of jet flying and film reeling. At times it raises your eyebrows, and at times it makes you feel depressed. From page 1 Patsy comes across as the type of person who makes friends easily as she talks about many film and TV crew members in a positive light, although most of her love is reserved for her two sons and (quite heart-wrenchingly) her late mother who had battled illness for many years.

From my perspective this book threw up quite a few surprises. For instance I always knew Patsy had been on the acting scene for a long time, but I had NO idea she had been a child actress from the age of four and once starred in a movie with Elizabeth Taylor; nor did I know she dabbled in a bit of singing with a band called "Eighth Wonder" who were highly popular in Italy, and even won her the admiration of a fan in the form of a Japanese cannibal! By the time I closed the back cover of the book after reading 336 pages of biographical content, some curious thoughts swirled through my head...Maybe I've been playing video games for too long. Maybe I do need to get out more.

There is also a fair amount of fashion talk, with Patsy's seemingly vivid memories on what certain people were wearing on particular occasions, even when it had nothing to do with acting or parties. Fashion is not my thing, and to be honest I don't think she really needed to go into such microscopic details about it so consistently. Overall though "Absolute Beginner" is a fascinating read that stirs up a healthy dose of surprises and provides something of a rollercoaster ride for the emotions. If you're fanatical about Patsy Kensit, or just happen to see her on TV from time to time, then this is a read that's worth settling into your armchair for.