on 20 August 2013
We recently bought this laptop as a replacement for a four year-old HP of similar value at the time. The fact that it's touchscreen was not a factor in the purchase - why anyone would want a touchscreen on a laptop is beyond me. Anyway, having looked around all the available machines in the £400-£600 price bracket, this one came out on top. In terms of the hardware, I don't think there are any alternatives (at time of writing) in this price range with 8MB of RAM and a 1TB hard drive. The standard is either 4 or 6MB with a 500MB drive, so this machine has a lot packed into it in terms of memory and storage.

The i3 CPU is obviously a budget option, and the i5 in some of the alternatives would be quicker - however, the laptop is primarily a word processing machine/internet browsing machine for us, so raw power is not that important. If you're using it for work, and you process graphics or music or manipulate large spreadsheets then you'd probably be better looking at an i5-based laptop with less RAM and storage space to balance the cost.

The battery life is advertised (I think) at 6.5 hours. I'm not getting that out of this battery. With internet viewing, some word processing, and a the odd bit of video streaming I'd guess it's closer to about 4. I could maybe stretch that out by dimming the screen down and turning down the performance, but that just slows things down. You will struggle to get a full days' work out of this machine without a power supply.

On the upside, it's nice and slim, light, and the biuld quality is good. It's more plastic-y than some of the higher priced alternatives, but it all fits together nicely and the keyboard feels firm and well put together.

The downside to this machine is the O/S. Obviously it's unfair to downgrade the review of this particular machine because of Windows 8 because they ALL come with it now, so I haven't deducted any stars, but I ought to mention this just in case you're wondering whether to go for a Win8 machine or maybe find a cheaper one with an older O/S...

Windows 8 is garbage. Sure, sure - technically, it's probably better. It is probably more power and memory efficient than previous versions, it is probably better programmed, probably less prone to security issues, blah blah blah. Very good. The problem is the user interface. It is HORRIBLE. So HORRIBLE that I had to use capitals, and you know what - if this window had an option for bold, italics, and underlining I would have used those, too. It's as if someone decided to try and copy Apple by making everything with big-shiny-buttons, a nice easy media-consumption device... if I wanted that, I'd buy a friggin' Apple.

Out of the box, the laptop disconnects from wi-fi frequently when on battery power only. This isn't because the laptop is faulty, it's because the Windows power settings are crap. (If you have this problem, Google it and there are straightforward solutions available.) It likes to install programs as 'apps' instead, so to close them you have to fanny about 'swiping' and 'sliding' instead of just clicking the 'X' to close them. It wants to put everything into a nice, seamless view - well guess what, Microsoft? Some of us like the seams!

There are third-party programs you can install that make Windows 8 work a bit more like 7, but if you are wondering whether it's worth upgrading your computer and the Win8 thing is in your lists of 'reasons to upgrade', then scrub it out and write in your list of 'reasons to stick with what I have'.
99 comments|87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 February 2015
It was good before i dropped it down the stairs and smashed the touchscreen. HP are total scumbags: they said they would fix it for an absurd price but refused to sell me the screen so i could fix it myself. they claimed not to have any available even though they would fix it if i sent my laptop away. The actual laptop is good but the touch screen makes the lid quite thick and heavy compared to what it could be without it. Windows 8.1 i can deal with because for the most part you can ignore the crap and use it as if it was windows 7. The i5 offers good processing power but with no dedicated graphics, its not a gaming machine. if i could rewind i would skip the touchscreen and get a laptop with a graphics card. 4GB ram does the job for me but if you are feeling brave you can dismantle it and upgrade to 8GB.
on 1 November 2013
i have had it for a couple of weeks now its great!
its just like having a big touchscreen phone its really fast and very easy to use i really love it, so much so i bought one for the wife.
if i have one tiny gripe the left and right buttons on the touchpad are a bit clicky but hey it cost just over 400 quid a real bargain
on 8 December 2013
I get it as an upgrade for my old HP Pavilion g6, I was pleasantly surprise from the speed of the machine, I definitely can recommend it for speed and portability
on 16 September 2013
After having used Window XP for many years I found using Window 8 a bit of a challenge.Some programmes also appear to be less easy to use , e.g. Skype.However with time I believe that I will get accustom to my new laptop.