5.0 out of 5 stars Astounding
Published 10 months ago by London Fog

What a change of direction for Dean Koontz. I'm really rather surprised with his romantic central plot and enquiries into human nature.

Published 11 months ago by JK

3.0 out of 5 stars A tale of good v evil, a journey into darkness and the power of human love., 3 Jan 2014
JK "J. K." (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Innocence (Kindle Edition)

This is the story of Addison Goodheart a man who has suffered horrible abuse, more or less since birth, because of his "differences". Addison has had to battle against what's considered normal society merely in order to survive and it would appear one glimpse of his face is more than enough to produce a murderous rage when viewed by other people. As an outcast from normality Addison has had to find himself a safe place of refuge but; it's a place of isolation and shadows, almost a mirror image of his own inner feelings, and you can't remain hidden forever.

Much of the novel is focused upon Addison's journey into self imposed exile and then his eventual attempt to return to what he fears the most - normality.

I found the inclusion of the female love interest, Gwyneth, a girl every bit as detested and cast out as Addison, cleverly worked. Not only does their relationship add emotional warmth but there are many contrasts between the two of them which adds texture and allows the reader to see the situation from both a male and female perspective. Placing the two key characters, and much of the plot, inside a library works well and the themes of old buildings and books allow for a Gothic atmosphere to develop as Addison begins to prowl out of his lair and secretly approaches Gywneth.

Innocence isn't a complex story, in fact it's quite simple, and asks one central question of it's characters; angel or devil? To be honest the story is much more about exploring the evil within human nature than it is about external demonic forces or the supernatural however; the principle characters remain nicely shaded, there's plenty of intrigue surrounding them, and Koontz makes a decent job of slowly revealing their real truths and motivations.

Any negatives? Yes, I'm less than 100% convinced the plot really works and it certainly reads as quite odd and random at times. Innocence is certainly the best book I've read by Koontz for a while but some of his themes are just too clichéd and you really do need to suspend too much self belief if you want to stay with it.

If, like me, you read a lot of horror and supernatural fiction you're perhaps not going to be too surprised by anything in Innocence and I doubt you'll find the novel in any way scary though it's certainly more than surreal. I'm leaving 3* because Innocence isn't really a book for me but I enjoyed the relationship between the central characters, thought the concept of using a library and literature for the background to the plot an excellent idea and found Addison Goodheart quite intriguing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Astounding, 1 Feb 2014
This review is from: Innocence (Hardcover)
Having previously read only one Koontz novel well over ten years ago - and not being overly impressed with it - when I picked up this book, I was taken in more by the eloquently fluid turns of phrase and less by the reputation of the author. Who, if I am to be honest, I sort of regarded as a hack, just another popular author churning out meaningless fluff for the masses.

Foot, meet my mouth.

This is a difficult book to describe in terms of genre, though there are distinct tinges of horror, a genre I usually stray from because it tends to tap into the mundanities of life and glorify that, despite the extraordinary events that take place in their pages. Aside from the breathtakingly beautiful writing, I noticed early on that this somehow transcends those aforementioned mundanities, so while the places and time may be familiar, reading 'Innocence' was almost like being transported into another world. The same can be said of Addison Goodheart, the main character/narrator, who is depicted as an outcast for reasons that will not be made clear until the ending, as his insight and luminous mind seem to separate him from ordinary humanity surely as does his "deformity".

Koontz weaves a captivating tale of Addison and the seemingly troubled Goth girl, Gwyneth, whose lives are somehow connected, and who he must help and protect at all costs from the man responsible for her father's murder. While the plot was light in certain instances, much of the book revolves around how Addison's past is leading him to their present life together, and the crumbs of supernatural the author throws for us are shiver inducing and spellbinding. Along the way, the book is spiced with some very erudite observances regarding the modern world, and the connections to darkness in which they spring from.

I have literally been left astounded by this book. From not being much impressed (and possibly turned off) by the book I read so many years ago, this is now an author whose works will be sought out ravenously.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never saw the twist in the end coming, 18 Jan 2014
Deiseach (Waterford, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Innocence (Kindle Edition)
Addison Goodheart, the hero of this novel, is another one of Koontz' typical protagonists. The problem in his life is that, for some unfathomable reason, anyone who so much as claps eyes on him (from his birth, quite literally, onwards) is stricken with murderous rage and attempts to kill him.

Addison thinks this is due to some horrible deformity or monstrousness of expression in his face, eyes, hands, entire body, but he cannot understand why this would provoke so severe a reaction. Nevertheless, for his own survival, he has to remain anonymous and hidden from all chance of human contact.

So he ends up living underneath the city (which is not named as such, but which strikes me as, New York). Distinct echoes here of the 80s TV series "Beauty and the Beast" or even the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The adventure proper begins when, on his nightly forays into the city, he meets a young woman being pursued by a man trying to kill her.

If I said anything more, I'd be telling you the plot, so you have to read it for yourself to find out what happens next.

I wondered how Koontz would handle the revelation of exactly how or why Addison is seemingly so deformed that he inspires revulsion in normal people, such that even cops or preachers fly into a killing frenzy when they see him or others like him. This is always a tough matter to accomplish for a writer; you can only go along hinting at 'but it is indescribably awful' so long before you have to try and describe it or give up.

I was expecting some kind of genetic syndrome or condition where Addison was twisted and maimed and the like. That's not how it's explained, and I never expected what Koontz pulled out of his bag of auctorial tricks. I think it works very well, but if you're not religious, or at least sympathetic to the parameters of horror/fantasy novels, then it may not work for you.

Let's just say it's similar, but not the same, as how Stevenson describes the effect Hyde has on those who see him, in "Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde":

I had taken a loathing to my gentleman at first sight. So had the child's family, which was only natural. But the doctor's case was what struck me. He was the usual cut-and-dry apothecary, of no particular age and colour, with a strong Edinburgh accent, and about as emotional as a bagpipe. Well, sir, he was like the rest of us; every time he looked at my prisoner, I saw that Sawbones turn sick and white with the desire to kill him. I knew what was in his mind, just as he knew what was in mine; and killing being out of the question, we did the next best.

"He is not easy to describe. There is something wrong with his appearance; something displeasing, something downright detestable. I never saw a man I so disliked, and yet I scarce know why. He must be deformed somewhere; he gives a strong feeling of deformity, although I couldn't specify the point. He's an extraordinary-looking man, and yet I really can name nothing out of the way. No, sir; I can make no hand of it; I can't describe him. And it's not want of memory; for I declare I can see him this moment."

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, 10 Jan 2014
This review is from: Innocence (Kindle Edition)
Having never read Dean koontz before I was fascinated to know what the fuss was about. This is a book that has everything tragedy, joy, suspense horror and interesting characters if it weren't fir a few crass cliched events it would have 5 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars loved this story!, 18 Jan 2014
This review is from: Innocence (Kindle Edition)
i have been reading dean koontz since i was a teenager so was very excited about this new book, and i wasnt disapointed.
i would recomend you read the prequell to this story first as this sets the scene nicely.
this book was different from deans usuall storys, halfway through the book i was still unaware how addison the main charachter was "different" it keeps you guessing till the end and the ending was very thought provoking indeed.
if you love dean koontz you wont be disspointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed the story, 27 Oct 2014
This review is from: Innocence (Kindle Edition)
I'm a huge fan of Dean Koontz and have read everything he has written so I eagerly await each new offering from him. Therefore the mixed reviews I read of this novel did not put me off reading it for myself and I'm sure that will be the case with other Koontz fans as well. However, I have to say the ending was disappointing, especially as I was racking my brains through the whole book trying to think of what was so grotesque about the main character to inspire such murderous hatred from the mere sight of him. When this was finally revealed it was quite an anti climax. Anyway, I enjoyed the story, even though I found some of the plot holes a bit frustrating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Novel that besides being not ordinary is work well-worth reading, 17 Dec 2013
Denis Vukosav - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Innocence (Kindle Edition)
"Innocence" by Dean Koontz is an exciting mix of supernatural, thriller and romance novel, in many ways different from what one could expect from this writer's in terms of his earlier works.
The life of novel's main character Addison has not stared rosy, starting from his birth when the midwife tried to suffocate him and continued many years later when his mother unable to raise him anymore told him to leave their home with a small bundle that only contains some food.
In order to survive he had to hide from men due to his face that made people want to kill him whenever they see it.

After he almost died because having the misfortune to find himself in the company of the wrong people at the wrong time, by twist of fate this scared and lonely creature found his refuge in this unnamed city underground.
There he will come across a girl named Gwyneth who is equally as marked as he is due to her past and the fear of being touched.
Together the two of them will affect the fate of many people they'll meet, offering a salvation and help while the world around them is changing irreversibly...

Koontz's novel is an unusual mix of different literary genres that with its thrilling pace and reader's desire to find out the reason for hatred and contempt felt by all for the main character, motivates reader to turn a new page to the unraveling end when full truth will be revealed.
In this sense, the end of the novel could be a either favorite part or disappointment to some readers which will hope for a different outcome, but it's a matter of personal preference.

The novel plot can remind some readers to the one from "The Phantom of the Opera", but main character of the novel is a different type of man, he doesn't like violence, moreover he despises it.
Koontz wrote his latest book in poetic way, using many words that are not so common in modern literary works and in some parts of his novel fans of the author's opus from the time when he wrote horror tales will recognize his distinctive style.

Overall, I recommend this work to all Koontz fans, but also to all those who want to read something different from the ordinary mystery titles since his last novel is something that besides not being ordinary is work well-worth reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not what you're expecting, but beautiful all the same., 25 Aug 2014
This review is from: Innocence (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book. I have read some of Dean Koontz before but am by no means an oficionado.

I am however, an atheist and am confused by some of the reviews on here from people, presumably ready to read a supernatural/fantasy novel, who are extremely critical because the book has a religious undertone, though its more of a 'creator' than specifically organised religion - they seem to want supernatural/fantasy as long as it doesn't relate to or reference any other supernatural fantasy.

The story was interesting and well written, though you didn't quite know where it was going you were hooked, curious to know what was 'wrong' with Addison. The relationship between Addison and Gwyneth was beautifully written - perhaps those who didn't like the book were too eager for deamons to jump forth, or lacked the emotional depth, to appreciate a touching love story.

I will agree with some other reviewers that the end of the book was a little too hurried, and a little too perfect and sweet (could have been 5-stars), but all in all a pleasant and surprising read.

3.0 out of 5 stars SoSo, 30 Sep 2014
This review is from: Innocence (Paperback)
I am a big fan of Dean Koontz however i felt that this story while good just didnt really go anywhere and is one i will not read again !

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent idea!, 29 Mar 2014
This review is from: Innocence (Kindle Edition)
I do like the way Dean Koontz offers us so many ideas, and this book is no exception. It is certainly an enigma and keeps us guessing as to what exactly is going on, and although I had my suspicions it was still extremely well done, if somewhat sad in so many ways.

I loved the characters - especially Addison and Gwyneth - so interesting and intriguing!

The plot is unusual, if any really, but it was the characters that brought it alive for me - set as they were amongst the mystical and heart-rending scenario.

I don't give spoilers but highly recommended for something different and thought-provoking.

Innocence