5.0 out of 5 stars Superb
Published 5 months ago by Jon

2.0 out of 5 stars on the small side but are not waterproof !!
I read many of the reviews before purchasing these shoes so purchased a full size bigger than normal, unfortunately still a fraction on the small size, but it was too late to send them back once I started to wearing them. hoping that they will stretch a bit with wear, using them for walking rather than running, did a 10 mile walk yesterday and tight on one foot...
Published 22 days ago by ademora

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 13 Nov. 2014
I love these shoes beyond words. The lacing system is a joy to use, traction on muddy trails is superb and the waterproofing is flawless. They wipe clean in a second and the sole design allows mud to fall away almost immediately. They look good, understated and simple, are lightweight, and the snug fit, (yes they are quite a tight fit in the size I normally wear in all shoes), gives me improved control on all surfaces. Can't recommend them highly enough. When you first put them on don't be afraid of the tight fit. Give them an hour or so around the house in normal thickness sports socks before considering a larger size. I find the snug fit actually very comfortable now. I've worn Nike, New Balance and Puma in the last ten years and these are so far ahead in quality and practicality I'll never look elsewhere again.

4.0 out of 5 stars just like previous salomon hiking boots I have owned, 11 Aug. 2014
Took these out for a 10km trail run as soon as they arrived. I found them really strong and are built to last, just like previous salomon hiking boots I have owned. Really grippy even on wet logs and mud. They are waterproof thanks to the gore-tex.
I score them 4 stars instead of 5 because I found myself having to order the largest size I've ever taken after trying on my usual size in a shop. The shop only had lurid colours in this model so I only tried them on for size. I found them rather small so I tried on a half a size bigger and found them too tight also. I thought another half size bigger would do the trick and ordered the colour I wanted (black) online going again half a size larger still. Now they are slightly too big for me! This has created some blistering when running down hill. I'm hoping I can fix this with an insole and a thicker sock.

My advice; find exactly the right size for you first by trying them on in a shop. The delivery was fast and the price ended up being no different than in the shop.

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy half a size up. Buy half a size up. Buy half a size up., 20 May 2014
Swift (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
Very good trail running shoes. I like the gore-tex, even in the heat which is supposedly the downside of gore-tex. Attractive color (to taste).

If you are coming from street shoes, you will initially find these a bit uncomfortable ('wobbly' and or 'mushy') when running on tarmac. make no mistake: these are trail shoes, not street shoes. however, on the trail they are really in their element and you will find yourself actively seeking out the grass on the verges soon enough. i have worn these on runs up to about 70km.

i have basically run with these in relatively soft grassy trail areas. as i indicated in my title, the "UK 10/US 10.5" is slightly too small for me (even though i normally wear exactly this size). I had the shoes professionally stretched which helped a bit, but not as much as if salomon would just size their shoes properly. the slight smallness was not obvious until i used them a bit.

because of the size issue, i use these rocks only on grassy trails and have not taken them onto rock as i fear the size issue might be more painful there. so, my next comment here may be colored by this: i feel for very long distance running on rock trails i might want to choose a shoe with a bit more padding underfoot. as it is with the pair i have i have to cut my nails short, wear thin socks, and hope no big rocks get in my way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality Off Road Hiking Trainer, 22 Nov. 2013
pamela goodwin (Yeovil, Somerset) - See all my reviews
I bought these shoes a few months back and i am so glad i did, as they have kept my feet nice and warm and dry and up on two feet. However, i would suggest going up a 1/2 size of what you usually wear, as when i wear my thick thermal socks (now winter is here) they are a very snug fit but they are still comfortable. My only real gripe is that i do sometimes walk on a tarmac paths and this has made the boots wear down rather quickly, i also do alot of trail walking which is where they come into there element as they are very effective in mud,wet leaves,slippy steps,hills etc etc. Overall a great pair of shoes/hikers that will be alot less lighter than hiking boots and still do the same job with less leg ache afterwards. I have bought several pairs of medium priced range hikers over the years and these have proved to me to have the best grip in muddy and hilly conditions but sometimes, not the best on a freshly mopped or smooth wet floor ! ! ! However, i would still rate them 8/10 for overall performance and a great brand that delivers a high quality and solidly made product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Autumn/Winter Trail Shoe, 20 Nov. 2014
Duncan Reed "Elminster" (London UK) - See all my reviews
These are incredibly comfy shoes, although quite a narrow fit (I have narrow feet anyway) and they can come up small, so I suggest trying them on in a shop first before ordering online.

I have the normal Salomon Speedcross 3's which are good for summer and spring, but are not weather proof enough for the several inches of standing water on the trail at this time of year. The GTX version offers the weather proofing needed, although on a long run when socks may get wet (and water gradually soaks into feet) you may also want some gaiters or go the whole hog and add water proof socks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best walking/running shoes ever., 27 Oct. 2014
Bought them because I had a pair of Speedcross 3's which were wearing down. I have fallen arches and found that the stability provided was excellent. Also the traction was unbeatable. They were also, one of the most comfortable shoes ever. The only downside was the rate at which the soles wore down, but I think this was the price of the excellent traction. (It might also be a reflection of the amount of walking I do, around 110k per week). Anyway, I decided to upgrade to the GTX version and wasn't disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars look great and feel great, 3 Dec. 2013
These shoes are great for just about anything, but too nice to take out trekking. Instead my partner is wearing them for going out.

5.0 out of 5 stars order a size larger, 21 Nov. 2014
I'm on my second pair and love em. The present pair are into their fourth year and although they're thinning in the ball of foot area, theyre still going strong. I wear them two to three times a week for up to 7 hours a time. I've not long been back from walking and running in the mountains of North Wales and they remained very comfortable.
They are a narrow fit which suits me perfectly, but if you are of a wider fit, they might be a bit tight

5.0 out of 5 stars Walk don't run !!, 25 Sept. 2014
Been looking for a new pair of walking shoes for sometime . I know these are a running shoe with a high spec and with gortex lined structure they fit my requirements . Easily meeting what I wanted in a shoe . The fit is great as I opted for a half size bigger than my normal size . The tie up system is good with a great sole, lower for better control and feel . They have toe protection & grip . They are very comfortable and look great to.

4.0 out of 5 stars They look fantastic, and have had a mass of posative comments, 10 Dec. 2014
They look fantastic, and have had a mass of posative comments. A little small as some other reviews have stated, worth thinking of 0.5 size up..... or more. only real negative is that they seem to wear out very quickly. I dont normally get irregular wear, but these have really badly on both outside shoes (not had it with other brands).

I'm wearing them walking around allot at work, not running, but comfort is excellent.