5.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced, imaginative, excellent characterisation
Published 11 months ago by Annie W

3.0 out of 5 stars ok again
I enjoyed all the books and I do enjoy the light read by Jonathan Moeller, but if you can't stand repeating stories in the books I would stay away from this line theme from him.
I do love the main lady but to me he made her, to friget, angry and lonely and I wish he made her something more than what she was set out to do.
Published 3 months ago by catherine

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced, imaginative, excellent characterisation, 9 Aug 2013
Annie W "bookworm" (Aberdeenshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ghost in the Ashes (The Ghosts Book 7) (Kindle Edition)
In order to get the most out of these books, it really is important to read the series in order. Caina's character has grown immensely, and while she still grieves that Maglarion's experiments have left her unable to bear children, that fact is not being rammed down the reader's throat as often or as blatantly as it was in previous books. She has settled down with Corvalis, still playing roles on behalf of the Ghosts, but also enjoying being in love with each other - to the extent that Caina is beginning to think about her long-term future, and whether she should remain a nightfighter.

At the same time as the Ghosts are trying to ensure the assassins sent to dispose of the Padishah's Ambassador ( a bright but most unprepossessing individual) are unsuccessful in their attempts to restart the war, they are also busy with another mystery involving murder, a pregnant woman, a gladiator father, and a nasty potential necromancer. Then, the action really takes off, as does the author's imagination, and we move slickly from one breath-taking event to another, and on to a most amazing climax. Even the Epilogue is extremely satisfying, and I hope we see more of Tanzir and Muravin in the future: their characters are too good to lose entirely. It's good to see some of the other Ghosts from previous books, and I have to confess I'm also beginning to develop a strange sympathy, if not affection, for Jadriga!

As another reviewer has said, there are fewer errors in this book, although I suspect any proof-reading has been left to a spell-check, since we still get 'to' for 'two'; 'grab' for 'garb'; 'this' for 'his'; 'titling' for 'tilting'; 'father' for 'farther', etc. There are also a few straightforward errors, like missing or wrong words 'all [the] while drinking fine coffee'; 'they knew how to move with stealth, and might be unable [able] to take them unawares'. While the editing could be better, it's a great improvement on earlier books, and, although annoying, the mistakes can be easily ignored simply because of the quality of the story - although I still wish the writer would stop saying that Caina DID a curtsy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Once again riviting, 22 July 2013
This review is from: Ghost in the Ashes (The Ghosts Book 7) (Kindle Edition)
Caina is back to her best and grows significantly as a character. Also this book does not suffer as much from typos and repetition. The story advances at the usual pace but the peripheral characters are now given more depth. Once again this is a page turner and ends with a twist that just has you wishing for book 8 to be ready now.

3.0 out of 5 stars ok again, 16 April 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Yet another page turner, 18 Feb 2014
This review is from: Ghost in the Ashes (The Ghosts Book 7) (Kindle Edition)
I love Jonathan Moeller style. That's the 14th book I have read...ok they may be slightly formulaic but they are easy to read and thoroughly enjoyable... I like David Eddings and would put these up with them

4.0 out of 5 stars Ghost in the ashes, 28 Dec 2013
This review is from: Ghost in the Ashes (The Ghosts Book 7) (Kindle Edition)
Again, a really good story, strong characters, spoiled by very bad background staff, editing proofreading etc. I really enjoy these stories but the grammar is terrible, I'm surprised that no-one else has spotted these glaring faux pas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ghost in the ashes., 11 Dec 2013
Mr. T. Holmes "grandpa" (wales U K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ghost in the Ashes (The Ghosts Book 7) (Kindle Edition)
As ever a brilliant book &compelling read. Look forward to the next book with anticipation. I already have the next episode in my kindle Fire. Excited!!

4.0 out of 5 stars See previous review!, 9 Dec 2013
A. S. Bruce (England, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ghost in the Ashes (The Ghosts Book 7) (Kindle Edition)
As I said before, I've read all the 'ghost' books by this author.
7 more words are required it seems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Getting better as time goes on., 4 Nov 2013
D. J. Ketchin "living in books" (Edinburgh Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ghost in the Ashes (The Ghosts Book 7) (Kindle Edition)
J.M has settled very nicely into writing this series. The characters are comfortable. the plots interesting and the world is filling out nicely.
There has been some significant character development and Caina is much more interestign as she has progressed from apprentice spy/assassin to a professional in her own right.
Its nice to see she is more than just a female assassin. I really like the character.

Also the changes in supporting characters made over the last few books is good - theres a sense of growth and progression happening that makes me look forward to the next book.
That and the obvious insertion of a new Multi book spanning arc involving the Jadriga.

Keep them coming. Plently of roads left to travel in this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars I never tire of the sequels....a new plot each time., 12 Sep 2013
This review is from: Ghost in the Ashes (The Ghosts Book 7) (Kindle Edition)
A good read...continuity of characters and style but interesting and fun as well as full of action. I really enjoy the characters and stories....look forward to the next...

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Read, 30 July 2013
This review is from: Ghost in the Ashes (The Ghosts Book 7) (Kindle Edition)
In this book you learn more about Caina and what she wants from her life. A fast paced light read which i very much enjoyed.

Ghost in the Ashes (The Ghosts Book 7)
2.41