5.0 out of 5 stars Something blessed this way comes
Published 14 months ago by Joe Mcnally

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad
It's not a bad book but from the reviews I did expect more. It did feel like some of the book was written to fill pages rather than to compliment the story.
Published 12 months ago by boosmummy

5.0 out of 5 stars Something blessed this way comes, 16 Aug 2013
Joe Mcnally (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sunlight on My Shadow (Kindle Edition)
This book will be widely read in the coming years. Judy's book is a rare combination; fine writing, a heart-wrenching story, and a salve for the soul of the sensitive. Everyone takes different things from life...a book read, a movie watched, a news article, a chance meeting, a dream. We act and interpret according to our characters and experiences. Sixty years ago (as I write this), my mother was moving into the last 48 hours of her pregnancy with the first of her eleven sons, me. She bore 4 daughters too, and she lies buried within shouting distance of where I sit. She was 47 when she died; killed, I thought for many years, by her Catholic faith, and its fierce hunger for more Catholics. We, her children were left with our own demons.

What I took from Judy's book was this: in matters of the heart, of guilt and of shame, of crushing regret, seek not forgiveness from others, turn first to yourself. It is not so much the story of an unwed mother, a teenage pregnancy, a culture of banishing the black sheep lest the neighbours talk (God help us all...how many tears have been shed for the sake of 'what people might think'?); it is a lesson in how to value yourself, how to heal yourself.

Judy's long-seeping wound was inflicted by society. To the millions of other Judys of both genders who will read this book, your wounds will not necessarily be from lost children, but, with luck, Judy's simple solution will help you find peace. Her story takes a long time to tell...she will take you to her childhood bedroom, her school, the Rocky Mountains, Big Sur, her subtly skilful writing carrying you through the years right alongside her. The story is long, but the message is short...forgive yourself.

Thank you, Judy. And good luck. We have never met. But we have.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sad yet satisfying, 18 Mar 2014
This review is from: Sunlight on My Shadow (Kindle Edition)
Great read and a tearjerker. A painful journey full of secrets and shame, but I didn't feel manipulated and it all rang true. Beautiful writing and I would recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 5 Oct 2013
boosmummy "Wanna" (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars just read it for free and now buying it, 30 Sep 2013
I got this as a free kindle download but enjoyed it so much I am purchasing it as a present for my sister. A lovely personal true story of a young girl who gets pregnant at 16 in 1967 and has to hide this terrible secret from her friends and family and when it can be hidden no more is sent away to a home for unmarried mothers to give birth, give the baby away for adoption and then has to return home as if nothing has happened. The story continues through Judys life and has a lovely end - if not the one that everyone hopes for. It brought several tears to my eyes and I'd recommend getting any teenage girl to read this story.

5.0 out of 5 stars This story took my breath away!, 3 Sep 2013
This review is from: Sunlight on My Shadow (Kindle Edition)
Touching story of the quest to find the baby she was forced to give up at birth - so true of those times.I highly recommend this wonderful story of Judy's search to find her daughter..and peace in her heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a book, 25 Aug 2013
This review is from: Sunlight on My Shadow (Kindle Edition)
Wow what a story,I could n't out it down. How different things are now,thankfully, far more open and tolerant. It must have been so hard for Judy to go through the birth on her own. A compelling read from the first page to the last.

3.0 out of 5 stars Heart warming story, 23 Aug 2013
This review is from: Sunlight on My Shadow (Kindle Edition)
Loved the honesty and was pleased the way it ended, it's a story that can inspire others to find their dreams.

Sunlight on My Shadow