5.0 out of 5 stars 3 of the Best War Films Ever
Before I brought this I had The Great Escape on DVD already so I brought it for the other two. The first one I watched was Battle of Britain and I was surprised by how good the planes and aerial combat scenes looked and the amount of great actors. It is a fitting tribute to the brave men of the RAF and tells the story well.

About a week later I watched A...
Published on 28 Mar 2010 by Amazon Customer

The Great Escape is one of my favourite movies - this review is not about the movie as I guess most buyers know the movie.
I wanted to provide feedback on the blu ray. This is supposed to be a restored version of the film and I have to say that I was very disappointed with it.
Published 8 months ago by K. Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars 3 of the Best War Films Ever, 28 Mar 2010

About a week later I watched A Bridge Too Far, like Battle Of Britain it is based on a real event, this time it was Operation Market Garden. The first bit is all about the build up and planning towards the operation, then it moves on to the battle for the bridges themselves, the action is phenomenal and A Bridge Too Far really tells you everything you would want to know about the operation and packs it into 2 hours 46 minutes of filming brilliance. Based on a book by Cornelius Ryan, who wrote The Longest Day, I prefer this to The Longest Day as it is in colour and every single detail is captured and not a single scene is wasted. As well as this it has one of the best casts put together in a war film ever, even in little parts there are very famous actors.

This is a bargain buy and each film is as good as the last, they are all based on true events all have brilliant musical scores and all have excellent acting. If you haven't seen them yet or like me have only seen one before I would highly recommend this set.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Great Escape - blu ray - part of Triple Pack set with A Bridge Too Far & Battle Of Britian, 17 April 2014
This review is from: The Great Escape / A Bridge Too Far / Battle of Britain Triple Pack [Blu-ray] [1963] (Blu-ray)
I cannot compare it with the DVD version because I have never seen it, but it appears to be no better (or worse) than the version I have seen on TV many times.
The indoor shots are not too bad – say low quality DVD level – but the outdoor scenes are very poor.

I also own the restored version of Bridge Over The River Kwai and while clearly of its age, it is far superior than this.
OK, I did not pay a lot for the Great Escape as it was part of a set but I cannot recommend a purchase of a blu ray of this quality when the film is repeated so regularly on TV at the same level.

I have yet to watch the other two movies in the set - so will reserve judgment on them

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 6 Nov 2013
The video quality of the disks are brilliant in comparison to the originals which I have seen. Not to mention the wonderful price paid for them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic war films together on DVD., 3 Feb 2008
N. T. Harper "Rusgel" (Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
There is nothing I can add to the reviews for each of the individual films which rate as classics in the war film genre. I'm of that generation that can remember it being a really big event especially at Christmas when the Great Escape was on the telly and like many people can remember it scene by scene but still feel its better than most modern films relying on computer generated effects. Myself an ex RAF man its always thrilling to see the aerial scenes of the Battle of Britain made ironically with the help of the then fascist Spanish air force who where still flying Heinkels, Dorniers and Meschershmits a left over from Franco's friendship with Hitler. A bridge too far made in 1977 came later but is true to Corneleus Ryans book being historically accurate in all the details representing the true individuals who were there at the battle which for me is its greatest asset. Historical accuracy aside these films are a classic blend of war drama, heroism, action and dramatic music scores which make your hair stand on end. The opening scene of "The Battle of Britain" where the inspecting Luftwaffe general is whisked past lines of German aircraft to the tune of "Young Aces" is especially memorable and evocative of the time when Britain faced an implacable enemy across the channel and the American Embassy gave it only weeks before it must surely be defeated. The best thing about this collection is there are no dud choices. No third film with a tenous link to the others having gone straight to video. Not this DVD which no collection could be better served than having this included amongst the other war classics.

1.0 out of 5 stars Non-anamorphic version of The Great Escape, 11 Sep 2009
T. Bearne (Huddersfield United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is a review of the 2009 edition of the DVD collection "A Bridge Too Far / The Great Escape / Battle of Britain", not the movies themselves.

The back of the box clearly states "WIDESCREEN VERSION 16:9" but in the case of The Great Escape it isn't. It's an old non-anamorphic transfer. That means on a widescreen TV, you get thick black borders left, right, top and bottom, or zoom in for a very grainy picture.

It is totally unacceptable that in 2009, publishers should pedal rubbish like this. Not only is there a perfectly good anamorphic transfer of The Great Escape they could have used, but the back of the box is a blatant trade descriptions breach. Shame on Fox!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good collection for a quite good price, 15 Mar 2011
This is really a good deal, but 'The Great Escape' in this box isn't as good as the other two films. It seems there is a problem with the "widescreeness" for some people (not me though) and, more importantly: THE SOUND IS MONO! This is something I've never seen in a movie, I must confess. It's a pitty because, for me, this was the most interesting movie in this set.

But still, with this price, it's a very good deal indeed!

5.0 out of 5 stars 3 All time classics, 12 Mar 2009
K. Knox "Keith" (Billingham, England) - See all my reviews
Anyone over a certain age will have surely enjoyed these films many years ago. Each one is an absolute classic in its own right. Take a few hours on a wet afternoon play and enjoy. They simply don't make films like this anymore.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great world war 2 action, 11 Dec 2013
Humphrey J. Jansz (Australia) - See all my reviews
No questions or doubt about it. If you like war films, this triple pack must be in your film library. All three films are superb examples of their genre and frankly, I don't think we will see many more films of this calibre.

5.0 out of 5 stars good value for money, 17 Aug 2013
watched all three in one night great picture for price well worth the money would recommend to my friends x

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 15 Aug 2013
Being a veteran of the Army love these classics. I watch these on or around the 11th of November and just before Christmas time. Great casts for all three films and great story lines as a whole although all are based on true events during the 2nd world war.