Format: Audio CD|Change

on 30 September 2013
Firstly, this is a wonderful set at a giveaway price and can be thoroughly recommended without any hesitation. It is a major historical document of the first of the great rock music festivals. I saw the film many years ago and it had a major impact on my record buying for many years. At the time all my friends were into the Stones, Beatles and other British bands but for me West Coast music was much more exciting and innovative. My eternal thanks go to John Peel for introducing me to so much treasure!

For me, one of the most memorable Monterey performances was “Section 43” by Country Joe and the Fish. Sadly it is not on this set although it is on the 2cd set I acquired at Rasputin’s records in San Francisco last year. Also omitted from this 4cd set is “For what it’s worth” by Buffalo Springfield, “Homeward Bound” and “The Sounds of Silence” by Simon & Garfunkel. In the overall scale of things these are not major omissions but I am unsure why they have not been included. Rather oddly the 26 track MP3 download which came when I purchased the set includes a couple of tracks which are not on this or the 2cd set. Most notably, “Viola Lee Blues” by the Grateful Dead who are my favourite band of all time.

There is no point in me commenting on individual acts. The line up is absolutely amazing. Jefferson Airplane, Country Joe, Canned Heat, Big Brother, Jimi Hendrix and, almost forgot, six tracks from The Who plus many more. Staggering.

If anyone is interested in exploring the Monterey Festival in more detail I can recommend “A Perfect Haze” by Harvey and Kenneth Kubernik. It contains a mass of information about the festival, a chronology of the acts and full set lists. Worth every penny. It’s a real pity that the DVD is not available at a reasonable price but I live in hope that it will soon be released.

In summary, this is a superb set at a great price with excellent sound quality. It comes with a very useful booklet. The discs are in card sleeves and everything is contained in a robust card box. I do, however, have to disagree with the claim on the box that it is “The definitive document” in view of the omissions. It still merits five stars though!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 11 September 2013
The other reviews here are not for this British re-release on Salvo.This is the 4cd version,complete with book which was out a while ago,and at a very fair price.It need only be said that this puts you THERE,and although words like "legendary" and "genius" are all too commonly used today to describe every new wannabe music star,if used in their proper context they surely apply here.Heck,the Hendrix alone is worth the price,when he first made his mark in the country that he had to leave to be recognised!Pinching the Who's act(as Pete Townsend has recounted once or twice)only enhanced a remarkable "debut".Then there's the other acts...Airplane,Janis,et al.If you want to get back to '69 this is a damned good way,barring a time machine.
If you're on the prowl for the good old stuff,you want to get looking for the Grateful Dead,too,never huge in the UK(I can't recall how many people I've mentioned the Dead to,and received blank looks),surely the greatest group in the entire history of the world.Sunshine Daydream coming out in about 3 weeks,at time of writing.
on 4 July 2015
Some excellent performances - Otis, Booker T, Paul Butterfield, Lou Rawls, Jimi Hendrix, Ravi Shankar, all in this category.
Some others - not quite as good as those, but still enjoyable - like the Byrds, Airplane, Big Brother, Country Joe, Mamas & Papas, Eric Burdon and several more - but nothing is remotely unlistenable. I agree it's a pity about the omissions mentioned by other reviewers.
The only negative is the cheaply-bound 88-page booklet, which fell apart as soon as I opened it. Surely for something like this, which purports to reflect an important even 'historic' festival, Union Square Music / Salvo could have made a booklet that was properly bound. They even make the booklet a selling point, on the cover sticker ! This is simply SHODDY - for that reason, I wouldn't recommend buying it unless it comes in at under £7.50, including postage...I felt cheated at the price I paid.
Still in spite of the poorly-bound booklet , it remains a valuable record of a time long gone,- definitely NOT just an exercise in nostalgia.
on 6 April 2014
A beautiful snapshot of a beautiful time pre-branding and marketing, when interacting with social media just meant reading the Iinternational Times. No Simon and Garfunkel, Grateful Dead or Buffalo Springfield, hence 4 stars not 5.
on 4 April 2014
It is a very good looking bach to The Monterey Festival in the summer of 1967, a good Collection of music from Janis Joplin, The Byrds, Jefferson Airplane, Otis Redding, The WHO and Jimi Hendrix and other artist. The best rock music you can hear, rock at it`s top level. A Little bit of wormwood in the cup, the sound of the recording is not exceptionel, I think it depends on the recording technique of the time, after all it is nearly 50 years ago. Anyway a good message from the summer of love.
on 15 September 2014
This is a fantastic collection of performances which really captures the period at its best. Only reason I didn't give it four stars is that the booklet accompanying it, which in itself has some useful information, started to fall apart the first time I looked through it. I know that this does not affect the music but does reduce the product on quality.
on 31 December 2014
Well, I've read other reviews, and this isn't included or that's missing.
Maybe they've got a point, but I feel that for the money, you will not buy better!
This is a fine set and I'd recommend it to anybody with half an interest in music.

TD
Oh, you may quote me.
on 9 October 2013
Definitive box set of the 60's generation at their best. The price is worth it just for one Janis Joplin performance. Link it up with the DVD, then compare with Woodstock,( which was the beginning of the end.)
on 14 May 2015
A nice complement to Woodstock CDs. Janis Joplin's best performance, Jimi Hendrix, the Who and others. 4 CD of great musis of the 60s, the quality is excellent, the box contains a booklet. Really worth buying.
on 2 April 2015
Four discs of fabulous music, and a fabulous informative booklet which adds to the thrill of listening to the first proper rock festival! I can't fault this!