Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£8.99

on 13 July 2013
Three record labels have in the past been responsible for reissuing Paul Young's back catalogue, and in truth I've been left rather frustrated by their efforts. (Sony managed to omit the extended version of 'Sex' on their 25th anniversary 2CD deluxe edition of 'No Parlez', although it had actually appeared on the original non-deluxe CD release! Also, a few of the album tracks were edits of the original LP version, which was somewhat annoying for the majority of fans who'd bought and knew the album so well from its representation on vinyl. Young's follow-up, 'The Secret Of Association', was licensed out to Edsel Records and they didn't do much better. They forgot to include the 12-inch extended mixes of 'Hot Fun' and 'I Was In Chains', which had appeared on the cassette version of the album in 1985, on their 2CD reissue of 2007. They also committed a cardinal sin by listing 'Every Time You Go Away' on the second disc as the "12-inch Mix" when it was actually the seven-inch radio version!)

Three cheers then for Cherry Red who for this 2CD 'Remixes and Rarities' collection have enlisted the help of Super Deluxe Edition blogger Paul Sinclair. He has ensured that no such mistakes are made with this release. Not only is the content first rate but the music is magnificently remastered too. I suppose, if you were picky, you could argue that it might have been better to have split the two versions of 'I'm Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down' over the two discs, rather than put them both on Disc One. Also, I would have preferred the 12-inch version of 'Some People' over the Dub version which appears here, but the Dub's rarer and hasn't appeared on CD before. All in all, a real treat with all the big hits included here in their proper remix form as we remember them. Justice is finally served. A must for all Paul Young fans.
on 15 August 2015
I was a huge Paul Young fan back in his heyday. I like this album but there are some repeated tracks and some lazy arrangements. Nice to be taken back to my youth though and, as a fan, it's a good to add to the collection.
on 7 June 2016
Great pop at it's best, sung by one of the best voices ever. The art of the 12" record is here - longer, louder, odder. Pino Palladino's fretless bass is none more eighties - although at the time it was not common on pop records, and on first hearing 'Wherever I Lay My Hat', I thought that it was the brilliant Mick Karn (R.I.P.), from the band Japan. Palladino had also worked with Gary Numan on his 'I Assassin' album, his sinuous bass sound becoming a bit of a Numan trademark sound for many years. I always liked Paul Young's sound, and his rather 'blokey' persona. Is this a guilty pleasure? I really couldn't tell you. All I know is that I like this collection. A lot.
on 21 July 2013
I heard Paul Young being interviewed on Radio 2's Simon Mayo programme. He was there to plug this album, which I had not heard about, nor have I heard about it since. So I ordered this album as soon as I could after the programme as it contains versions of his songs that we only had on 12" vinyl - and obviously can't play them any more. And as well as those there were live versions, and a couple of songs new to us. We're very happy with the album, and the speedy receipt of the cd. Thanks a lot.
on 7 January 2015
Absolutely brilliant
on 11 August 2013
I bought this item after hearing Paul on Radio 2 being interviewd by Simon Mayo. They played several tracks and I had to have it!
Excellent album. If you are used to hearing the shorter 7 inch versions of any of these songs, you'll love the extended/ remixed versions. I recommend it!
on 22 January 2014
I am a BIG Paul Young fan. The good news is that the 12 inch mixes on this CD set have been remastered very well indeed, so my vinyl can be stored safely away.

The most impressive track I have found is 'Wherever I lay My Hat...' which until now I have never really liked. It is however my favourite track now. If this does not sound good through your system then it's highly likely that the system needs upgrading! This was my conclusion when upgrading my hifi equipment.

Enjoy!
on 31 October 2014
Good stuff
on 31 January 2016
Excellent. I love CD"s that have lots of remixes of the songs
on 20 March 2016