5.0 out of 5 stars This is the book that hooked me for life!
10 years ago, a friend handed me a copy of MOONHEART with the command, "Read this...NOW!" I did and I've been hooked on Charles deLint ever since. Some parts of his work makes me wonder if he has a magic window that lets him see into my life. Charles is also very kind to his fans and WILL respond to email as much as he is able, which makes him one of the...
Published on 16 July 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars I think I may be too British for this book
I really wanted to love this book, but sadly, I just couldn't. I think it might be because it uses Welsh myth: I grew up in Wales, and the flavour here just struck me as wrong. Somehow Welsh mythology gets a smell of Disney when you transport it to the USA or Canada. I don't know why. Perhaps because so many of the grimmer bits of Wales get left behind in transit...
Published on 16 Jun 2010 by Victoria Clare

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice cover., 2 Aug 2008
This review is from: Moonheart (Newford) (Paperback)
First of all i have to confess that I only got about a third of the way into this book so maybe i shouldnt be reviewing it at all!! Fair enough. But just to warn any Robert Holdstock fans expecting this to be anything like MYTHAGO WOOD, as I was, be warned!! It doesnt have an ounce of it's depth. It looks very similar from the outside and the plot seems great and I think theres even a quote from Lavondyss, unless thats in another de lint book. Ive read some books by de lint that are great; the little country, onion girl, wild wood etc..This book starts off ok but the characters are just so 2 dimensional its hard to stick with it. It was at the point that some biker character said something like " lets go kick some ass!!" that i cringed then gave up the ghost. Nice cover though.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my all-time favorites, 9 Mar 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Moonheart (Newford) (Paperback)
Moonheart, the first Charles de Lint book I ever read, remains one of my all-time favorites. I've read many de Lint novels since I first picked up Moonheart in 1984, but I always remember it and recommend it to anyone looking for a good modern fantasy. de Lint it simply one of the best modern fabulists writing today.

2.0 out of 5 stars present, 14 Jun 2013
This review is from: Moonheart (Newford) (Paperback)
Bought at same time as "Greenmantle", again as a present. I wouldn't be able to read it.not my type of book.
But again, she liked it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Please don't read this book, 21 Nov 2004
G. J. Weaver "elweaverino" (Chester, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Moonheart (Paperback)
It's very rare that I don't finish a book. It doesn't matter how bad a book is usually, I will read it through to the end, to see if there are any pleasant hidden surprises lurking in the final pages. A few times, books have been redeemed for me in this way. For me not to finish a book, that book would have to be so turgid, so clumsily written, so beyond belief, that I would have no choice but to get it away from me.
This is the only book I can remember not finishing in the last ten years. 100 pages in, I couldn't take it any more, I stood up and hurled it into the waste paper basket in the corner of the room with tremendous force. I didn't even put it on the Amazon Marketplace, because I couldn't take responsibility for somebody else having to go through what I had just experienced. I should have locked it in a lead box and dropped it in a lake.
The characters are paper thin, the celtic themes were more suitable for a greeting card than a novel for adults, and it was just impossible to believe in the plotline, which seemed to have wandered out of a (poor) childrens book, with none of the writing verve to make it plausible for adults who are even remotely intelligent.
If you are looking for intelligent fantasy, try Mervyn Peake or China Mieville, and have your mind blown by those guys.
Awful. Tripe. Unforgivable. These words do not justice to the numbing mediocrity of this book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›