5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyed this fantastic book!
'The Balance, my boy, is the war that has been waged since before time was time, the battle within ourselves to do what is good and reject what is bad. It is a delicate line we all walk, a constant struggle of push and pull.'

---My Thoughts---

Published 16 months ago by Rebecca

3.0 out of 5 stars A nice story but lacking a little in depth
I downloaded the book because I was told about it on Goodreads and I thought I would give it a try, as I like Fantasy.
It is a nice enough story but I found it lacking in excitement until nearly half of the book. The synopsis promised more than what was delivered, in my opinion.
Published 14 months ago by france

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyed this fantastic book!, 10 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Iron-Jawed Boy (Sky Guardian Chronicles series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

---My Thoughts---

I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for a review, and I must say, I devoured it. From the very start, I was sucked into Ion's fascinating world of Gods,Dwarves,Giants,Elves and more. I can tell that a lot of thought and imagination went into this book, it really shows with the depth of the characters and the amazing descriptions of their surroundings. This book is mostly aimed at children, but as an adult who's read a lot of books, I can safely say that this is high on my list of amazing books.

Ion's character was a joy to read. A lot happens to him at such a young age; he's separated from his family and forced into slave labour. He has no idea if he will ever see his family again, and whether he will ever get out of his slavery. Despite all this, he's still a strong character. Understandably, when he discovers that he's a Guardian, he's frightened and overwhelmed by such a big change, but he quickly adapts and accepts his new life. His relationship with Oceanus was enjoyable too; there's sibling rivalry and taunting between them, but there's also a sense of loyalty there too.

I've seen a lot of reviews that compare this to Harry Potter, and I have to agree to some extent. Othum, the Skylord, especially put me in mind of Albus Dumbledore. He's a well looked up to authority figure, but he's also quite mad, and he made me laugh throughout the story. However, despite it's similarities with Harry Potter, this story is completely unique, with an interesting take on mythology. I really enjoyed the concept, and I found it difficult to drag myself away from it. Once again I find myself completely in love with a children's book. It's definitely too good for Adults to miss.

5.0 out of 5 stars Future Fantasy, 14 Jun 2014
This series must be read in order. This is the first book.

This book was pure awesomeness! I found it very engaging and unique. The world was loosely based on a far future of an alternate Earth where we are the bad guys and supernatural element callers and living Gods roam. We destroyed the world by using up all the resources and polluting indiscriminately so the Gods were forced to come out of seclusion to clean up our mess and restore some semblance of Balance. These societies are at constant war with each other.

This coming of age story is all over the place (in a good way) especially with plot twists and reversals of fortune which is what made the story so enthralling in my opinion. I consider this book dystopian in nature as well as future post post apocalyptic fantasy. There was loads of suspense cloaked in a web of mysteries that complemented the action and adventure nicely. I can't wait for the sequel The Iron-Jawed Boy and the Hand of the Moon (Book 2, Guardians of Illyria) to come out so I can find out what trouble Ion will get himself into next!

I would recommend this book to paranormal audiences as well as fantasy ones. The post apocalyptic audience would enjoy it as long as they like a post post apocalypse as the world is already rebuilt even if not in a form we can recognize.

***This series is suitable for young adult through adult readers

5.0 out of 5 stars Percy Jackson eat your heart out., 11 Jun 2014
I was immediately drawn to this book as I thought the cover and title sounded intriguing.

I have given this book 5 stars as its truly a beautifully written story that capture's your imagination from the start and doesn't let go until the last pages ......I want more, more, more please, can't wait to read the sequel.

Although this is similar to Harry Potter/Percy Jackson this book is definitely unique with so many mythical creatures, gods, ghosts, monsters, and most importantly guardians.

Guardians are gods reincarnated who protect the gods and their laws, however are not aware of this or their powers until they come of age.

Our main character Ionikis is separated from his sister and father and kept as a slave by a cruel ruler. He spends his days following orders or chained in a horrid room. Until one day a powerful God appears who's powers turn her into a swarm of locusts devouring everything they touch. When Ionikis is attacked his powers of manipulation of the weather become apparent and an unlikely hero whisks him away to a hidden world of the island, which is very different to the world Ionikis has been living in.

Here Ionikis (the iron jawed boy) finally is reunited with his sister who is also a guardian. How will the iron jawed boy adapt to this strange place with all sorts of strange creatures, bizarre food a totally different type of school. Why has his father put an iron plate on his chin before they were separated for protection? Why does it respond to his emotions? How can he rescue his father from his bonds as a slave like himself?

The iron jawed boy is magical, enthralling, intriguing, keeps you turning the pages, is everything a fantasy story should be with lots of darker themes as well.

I would recommend for any fantasy fan, especially Percy Jackson fans. I personally enjoyed this just as much if not more than Rick Riordan, so if you loved Percy Jackson its well worth giving this a read, not to be missed.

One final note although aimed at younger readers, I think all ages would enjoy this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book! :), 30 May 2014
The author sent me a copy of this book for an honest review...

and I honestly loved it!! I was hooked from the very first chapter. The world 'The Iron-Jawed Boy' is set in is so rich and wonderfully thought out, and I just love the idea of the Illyrian Gods and the Guardians. Although there are a lot of characters they are all so well developed. Ion is such a relatable character and I loved how he coped with wanting to bring his family back together whilst trying to live with the Gods he thought he hated. I maybe would have liked to have found out a bit more about Spike and Solara's background and what led them to do what they did, and also a bit more background on the other Guardians, Theo and Lillian.

Although this book is intended for readers much younger than my 22 year old self, I truly believe that it can be enjoyed by all ages. The plot, world and characters are incredible. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves fantasy :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not what i was expecting, 28 May 2014
To begin with it reminded me of the Percy Jackson films and books, however this was quickly knocked on the head as I worked my way through the book. Fast paced, mythology based around the elements and twists thrown into the mix, in my opinion made for a really good read. Aimed more towards the teenage reader I felt, but however can still be enjoyed by any age group. It is an exciting, well-written fantasy adventure that kept me entertained for a couple of days, as there was always something going on in each chapter which made it a real page turner. As I just had to know what was going to happen next and what was going to happen at the end. An unexpected but good twist at the end, not going to spoil it by saying what happens. Really different from what I expecting and can't wait to read the next instalment.

"I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review".

5.0 out of 5 stars a promising beginning to an epic story, 9 May 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this story of how a group of young people adapted to significant change in their lives and surroundings and how they came to terms with loss of trust, loss of family and the emergence of powers that weren't easily understood and less easily mastered. I think Nikolas manages admirably to show how trust can be regained and how the self can become something that matters.

As a book for young adults/ teens/ older children this is the beginning (I hope!) of what could be an enthralling series

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced magical read, 7 May 2014
I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for a review and I really did enjoy it.

I found it a little hard to get into but a few chapters in I could hardly put it down. I enjoyed the fast pace once the magical element was added and think this makes it very accessible for younger readers.

I will definitely be buying a few copies to give to others along with the next book in the series as I can't wait to find out what happens to Ion, especially after the surprise twist right at the end!

3.0 out of 5 stars A nice story but lacking a little in depth, 16 Oct 2013
france - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I nearly gave up at 20%. Not because it is badly written, but because it does not have the magical element that I look for in Fantasy books. But I persevered and I am glad I did, because it becomes interesting by 43% and then, by 75% it all happens at once. But it is too late in terms of reading. The reader should be captivated much earlier.
The Iron-jawed Boy is a mixture of everything, a bit of mythology, a bit of Harry Potter , a bit of Science Fiction and a bit of Lord of the Ring, even a bit of The Wheel of Time (enslavement of the Callers) and a bit of the Iliad. While I do not mind if a book sounds like another, the book seems to have too many sources and it why I found it lacking in depth. The plot is sound though. Therefore, I believe The Iron-Jawed Boy will do well as a Young Adult or children books. They will feel at ease with the characters in the book, due to the language that is the language of youngsters and also, it is full of goofy childish humour.

As a parent, I definitely recommend it for children aged 11+ (Ion's age) and I hope my own son will read it as I said before it is a nice story. And for parents to whom it is important, no swearing and no snogging. This is a bonus. But for an adult who reads a lot of Fantasy, maybe not.

I believe this to be a début novel, so, I am sure the others that will follow will be better, and I will buy the second one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome read for everyone, 9 Oct 2013
well as books go I'd say that this is a damn good one! To be honest I have not read a book so quickly in ages and has re-inspired my passion for reading which had been a little stagnant.The plot is a real whirlwind-often quite literally:)and the characters are amazing you can't help fall in love with them - or even love to to hate them. To be honest I'm a little disappointed that I don't go to this school - I mean hello what an awesome curriculum and I absolutely cannot wait for the sequel!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I would advise anyone of any age to pick up this book. And to make it even I was kindly given a copy in exchange for a review which to be honest is no hardship - I mean ohhh woe me I have to jump in to a wonderful mythical world containing all kind of characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great read, 7 Sep 2013
A great read! Really different from what i expected and can not wait for the next one, some characters can be linked to Harry potter-esk but, they were interesting and fit well with the book!

Fully recommend this for anyone who enjoys mythology and wants pure escapism