on 15 March 2016
I ordered this ice cream maker and it arrived promptly the next day. The Vonshef range is a habitat product therefore I was expecting good quality and I have not been disappointed. It is a simple little machine, the concept being you keep the bowl in the freezer so it will always be ready to make ice cream. It tells you to freeze the bowl for a minimum of 8 hours before use.
On my first attempt I used the vanilla egg custard recipe in the Pamphlet provided. This was a recipe that you needed to cook the egg and make a custard base, then allow it to cool and then put it in the ice cream maker. I think that when I took the bowl out the freezer I left it on the side for about half an hour while I made the egg custard. You should definitely not do this as the temperature of the bowl was not cold enough when I tried to make the icecream therefore it did not set. In the end I put the bowl and contents into the freezer and let the ice cream set in the freezer. The texture of the ice cream was very hard but the flavour was excellent. I understand the reason why my first attempt failed so I made sure on my second attempt to take the freezer bowl out just before I needed it.
On my second attempt I decided to make an ice cream where you didn't need to cook the eggs like a custard. I searched the Internet for a good recipe and found a Mary Berry non Cook Ice Cream where you simply whisk up the egg whites and sugar, then add your whipped up double cream and egg yokes with the flavouring of your choice which for me was stem ginger. I then put this mixture into the ice cream maker for about 15 minutes and it made the most fantastic light fluffy ice cream I have ever had. I am impressed the quickness of the machine the only thing to watch out for is that the motor doesn't get too hot on top. It is easy to wash up and remember to always put the bowl back into freeze.
I received this product reduced cost in exchange for my honest and unbiased review which I hope I have given. In no way has this fact influenced my views on this product. If you have found anything in my review useful or informative please press the "helpful"button below, many thanks.
review image review image
on 5 October 2015
Arrived quickly. We were not expecting much as the price was really cheap but its wonderful. Made our first batch of icecream and it was made in 10mins. Only negative is buy a replacement bowl as well so you can have one freezing while the other is in use as takes ages to come to room temp to be cleaned and re frozen. That way you will always have one bowl to use .
review image review image review image
on 29 August 2014
I first decide to buy an ice cream maker as I suffer from a number of intolerances so follow a Paleo diet. It's really hard to find shops that stock ice cream that's dairy/ sugar free and Paleo friendly so I decided to start making my own. I was a bit dubious as to how good it would be as it was so cheap, however it's so good I have recommended this it to friends and family.

All you do is store the plastic/ metal lined bowl in the freezer for 8 hours (or over night) then fetch it out just before you need it. You make your ice cream mix (in the blender/ liquidiser), put the frozen bowl into the machine, click on the lid, turn it on then pour in your mix. It's easy to take apart to clean too.

I use coconut milk to make my ice cream - if you are intolerant too I recommend 'the spunky coconut' or 'Elanas Pantry' for great Paleo / dairy free ice cream recipes.
on 1 July 2016
If you love ice cream and like to experiment, then this is the machine to do that. The idea is that you keep the bowl in the freezer for 8 hours and then you can start making ice cream. If you are like me you constantly search for new flavours of ice cream and this is a good way to experiment and keep on experimenting. I kept it overnight in the freezer for around 9 hours and make the ice cream in the morning.

I liked how there were recipes in the Pamphlet provided to help get you started. But make sure you do have the bowl cold enough before use for good results. 8 hours should be good. Once the ice cream was made it had such a lovely texture and flavour. It looked and tasted fantastic and only took around 15 minutes to make. It was actually very nice and I like making my own now as I can choose the different flavours I want. This can be cheaper if you like the more expensive brands like Ben and Jerry’s.

Finally, once the ice cream is all eaten I had found the cleaning experience to be good. The bowl was straight forward to clean and if you do straight away it is quick. Once it is clean just pop it back into the freezer. This is important as you can get it ready to make more ice cream quickly. I also like how two big ice cream bowls were included which look nice.

Please Note: I am very grateful to have received this item at a discounted price in exchange for an unbiased and honest review. As I review the products in a limited time frame I try my best to review it but cannot ensure the longevity of the product. The opinions and comments in this review are my own and this is paired with my knowledge I have gained when doing reviews. I always try to add as much information as possible to help the readers on their decisions. If you found my review helpful in anyway, please click the YES button below but if you don’t, before you click on the NO button to say I was unhelpful, I would deeply appreciate you to leave me a comment with your thoughts, so I can try improving my future reviews. Thank you for taking your time to read this review.
on 22 March 2014
No more waiting for the ice cream man to call. Can now make our own as and when we feel like it. The options are endless - but be warned the inside container has to take up valuable space in the freezer. We are lucky we have a chest freezer in the garage but a friend of ours has lost at least a third of their freezing capacity. Ready to treat our family and friends whenever they arrive.
on 11 March 2016
Not sure about this product. It arrived really quickly and was well packaged. I placed the bowl in the freezer for the recommended 8 hours and then made some strawberry sorbet. It was perfect and I was very pleased with the product. The next day I tried to make a caramel ice cream. Again the bowl spent 8hrs+ in the freezer and I was looking forward to a good ice cream. Yet the ice cream just wouldn't freeze beyond the consistency of a typical McDonalds milk shake. I tried again the following day with a chocolate ice cream recipe but with the same results. So it seems that if you want sorbet then this product is spot on. If you want ice cream you may need to look elsewhere. Quite disappointing really.

I received this item at a discounted rate in return for an honest review.
on 9 February 2014
bought this with the ben and jerry's ice cream dessert book really good ice cream maker.
would recommend this product.
on 24 June 2016
Today I am reviewing:-
VonShef Ice Cream, Frozen Yoghurt and Sorbet Maker Machine 1.45 Litre - Voted in Top 5 Ice Cream Makers by Great British Food Magazine - Free 2 Year Warranty by VonShef

The time for the product being delivered:-
The Ice Cream maker took 2 days to arrive.

The packaging of the product:-
The Ice Cream maker's box was protected by an out plain cardboard box and it protected the ice cream maker adequately.

The review of the product:-
Please Please do not forget to put the container which you are making the ice cream in, into the freezer for 8 hours, I left it overnight.
I have tried the Butter Caramel, Ice Cream and its awesome it took around 20 mins for it to set for me.
You may notice that in lots of the recipes it asks for heavy cream as lots of the recipes are aimed at the American market.
I have found that you can either use Double Cream or Whipping cream, I will just add something I found about creams in the UK and USA.
HEAVY CREAM (OR HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM)
This has to contain not less than 36% milkfat – so it’s at least as thick as UK whipping cream, but may be considerably less thick than double cream.
EXTRA-HEAVY CREAM (OR DOUBLE CREAM/MANUFACTURER’S CREAM)
Not generally available to the retail market except through some warehouse and specialist traders, this is generally about 38-40% fat content cream, so still a bit less thick than UK double cream.
I hope that helps you.
I love the inclusion of the 2 free plastic cone looking containers to serve ice cream in.

Is the product value for money:-
I think at £20 it is great value. I love this and am looking forward to making ice cream with my grandsons.

***************************************************
I received this product at a discount in return for giving an honest and unbiased review.
I only review items which I would buy for myself or my family.
The reviews I give are based on actual hands on experience of myself or my family in using the products.
As many of the products I review have been discounted, I have to review them within a certain time frame. This means that I cannot provide details of the long term benefits of a product.
If there is any change from my inital review, I will add extra infomation as and when I feel the need.
I will always supply as much information as I can in terms of my initial experiences of the product, and the ingredients and/or contents of the product.
If my review has helped you please click the helpful button, If it has not helped or you require more information please feel free to contact me or leave a comment so I can improve my reviews.
****************************************************
on 24 June 2016
This ice cream maker is very substantial . Not plasticky at all.
It has a top which holds the motor where you push the mixer blade.
The main bowls, an inner and outer. You place the inner bowl into your freezer for a minimum of eight hours, I have left mine overnight.
There are also two small bowls looking like ice cream biscuits you can use to dish your ice cream in to.
The inner bowl is metal lined, when you take your ice cream out make sure you use plastic utensils and not scratch it.
The instruction booklet also contains a few recipes to start you off.
I have a expensive ice cream maker that dies everything, you don't have to freeze the bowl. This one is the same size capacity .
You get better results with this if you mix ingredients and leave in the fridge to cool. As the ice cream takes up to twenty minutes to make you can prepare the mixture before your meal and put the ice cream maker on when you are eating your main meal.
I did find it doesn't set as much as I would have liked, so I scooped it out and put in main freezer to finish of. I found after twenty minutes it was like a very thick milk shake you get from certain burger bars, this is why I only gave it four stars.
Plus I did find it on the noisy side.
Once you learn what cream and or milk to use with what fruit you can make all sorts of recipes. This makes it great fun even though some don't always turn out the way you expect. Don't get carried away and put to much liquor in remember alcohol stops the freezing!
I got this either at a reduced rate or free of charge for an honest review if you found this helped please click like
review image review image
on 27 June 2016
I just received this product today and I am really exited to be able to make ice cream on my own with this

I have wanted an ice cream machine for so long and I cant wait to use this. The thing is you will have to freeze the bowl inside for 8 hours before you can use it so I am at the moment waiting for the inside to freeze, while shopping for my ingredients and decided which ice cream I should go for. Just bear in mind when you buy these as you will need quite a space for the tub to freeze and as I have a fridge freezer I had to take one of my shelf out to accommodate this.

****

UPDATE

I have attached some more photos for the vanilla color ice cream maker. I also had a go today with the ice cream maker.

It didnt go to plan, mostly it is my fault as I didnt puree the fruit and I thought it would be a good idea to put in frozen fruit in it (trust me it is not!!). So, on the manual you have 4 basic ice cream recipes that you can make (make sure you read it properly and read it carefully). As I didnt and try to be creative, my ice cream still very runny.

Prior to make the ice cream you will need to freeze the inner bowl for 8 hours (the manual actually said keep the bowl in the freezer, as I have limited space on my freezer and the bowl didnt actually fit on my freezer tray I would have to plan in advance if I want t make any ice cream. You can see my picture that I have pit the bowl on the bottom of my freezer (to do that I had to remove my bottom tray). It is a good thing that we have space to put frozen food on the bottom tray to another tray but I can see this might a problem for other people.

The instruction does say that you have to turn the machine on and put your ingredients from the chute. I did this and it made my chute a bit messy, this is a little bit annoying as to clean it you either need to unscrew the plastic chute bit or just by doing it a bit carefully as the chute screwed to the motor.

But overall, I'm happy with it, I just wished that I wasnt a smarty pants and actually did what the instruction told me to do.

Please note that I received this product at a discounted price or for free in return for an honest feedback

I genuinely thought that the two tubs they meant on the advertisement is I will have an extra tub to freeze (to make my ice cream) but it actually meant the two little ice cream tub for eating them in (just to be clear).

I really love the minty green color as I feel it will match my shabby chic pastel theme kitchen. Please see my photo for colour.

I will have a more thorough review tomorrow as I have bought two in green and in vanilla and I will try to make an ice cream with the vanilla soon.

Please note that I received this product at a discounted rate or for free in return for an honest review.