Now I like a decent monitor, and I thought I had a good one, before I brought the Asus MX299Q.

Published 10 months ago by Lord Kirk Martin

1.0 out of 5 stars Be Aware and be Warned
At first appearances this is a beautiful screen BUT ...this is what happened to me.

Published 3 months ago by M. Tsimaris

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Before you consider buying any other monitor, check this out... It is amazing., 2 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Asus MX299Q 29 inch Widescreen AH-IPS LED Multimedia Monitor (2560x1080, 5ms, DVI, DP, HDMI, Full Panoramic Visual and Audio, Asus SonicMaster Technology) (Accessory)

I brought this monitor for work and play. Also for the films, it is perfect for watching films on... But that is not what blew me away, and I am still in awe of this monitor for one reason. The clarity, it is just amazing, the white is bright, all over the screen, no dark edges a really nice bright screen, that you will be able to see, even in bright sun light.

ASUS Smart Contrast Ratio (ASCR) : 80000000:1

I was going to buy the much cheaper LG monitor, however paying the extra £70 was more than worth it, I would recommend it to anyone, due to one major difference, ok two... Not only does the Asus monitor look really nice to the eye, it is a beautiful bit of technology, it also has one major difference, that sets this monitor apart from the rest. The higher contrast ratio, is what makes this monitor a step up from the rest.

Compare this to the LG's ratio of 5000000:1, and you will see the difference.

So spend that extra bit of cash, and enjoy films like never before. Remember it is like having a 32" screen, but with the better definition on the colours and the brightness, you will enjoy home movies like never before.

I would also like to say Amazon was pretty good to, great delivery.

I would like to add I have not had much trouble with the stand, like other people have commented on, it is very stable, if you tighten it up with a screw driver, and not just by hand, it makes all the difference.

The touch buttons take a bit of getting used to, however once you do, you will be enjoying the monitor to the full.

I would also recommend not using the RGB setting, you can see so much difference, using the in built modes. The gaming mode brings the screen to life, enriches the colours, giving games more of a feeling when you are playing them.

This screen is very useful for first person shooters!

Also the movie mode is great for watching full HD movies with, it changes the colour again, to give you the feeling you are truly at the cinema. A very nice touch indeed.

But do not take my word for it, go get one yourself, you will not regret it at all.

1.0 out of 5 stars Be Aware and be Warned, 31 Jan. 2015
M. Tsimaris (Cyprus) - See all my reviews

I ordered one from amazon and it arrived the usual fast way as amazon does. I very careful put the screen up and running and within days the silver metallic strip which is attached on the bottom of the frame with the asus logo on it become to detach itself. I then contacted amazon and as they do they promptly issued a replacement. I thought lovely and thus send the first one back to them. Upon arrival I inspected the screen as soon as I opened the box for the very defect as the one before only to discover to my disappointment that this one too had the same defect. So..I contacted amazon again for another replacement. This time they issued a refund so I made the huge mistake of ordering from another website which I have never ordered before just because I was really taken by this monitor. Besides, I thought maybe amazon had probably a bad batch.
NOT. The third screen had the same problem and the silvery strip fell off in a matter of days. The website I had ordered it refused to refund or replace and passed the ball to the manufacturer. Despite my emails and phone calls this website which name I dont know if I am allowed to say here but in any case it starts with Office and ends in Nerd did not want to hear about it. This is when you appreciate Amazon UK. To make things worse this THIRD monitor has also major back-light bleed in one corner. Asus immediate response was that everything was caused because somehow I have damaged the screen. And is at this point my friends that you realize that you have spend your money for nothing and you feel that you have been taken for a ride. Funny this is that before hand I had checked reviews on youtube and they all said the best about this screen.
Afterwords, I have found out that other people have had problems with this defect and also backlight bleeds. You only need to check the bad reviews on other sites i.e. Overclockers UK

In conclusion:

1. This monitor appears to be good but in reality is built cheap and you most likely have defects (I mean come on..3 out of 3 says it all).
2. Amazon UK is great and I will never do the mistake of ordering from another website again.
3. Never going to purchase Asus products again after the way they treat customers.
4. Do NOT purchase things from unknown websites especially the one called OfficeNerd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just beautiful, 2 April 2014
I really love this monitor. I am surprised that one customer reported that it does not come with a UK plug, this is wrong, it does. When you open the bag of leads I agree that a UK plug is not amongst the plethora of cables but if you delve deeper into the box you will eventually find a UK lead/plug wrapped separately. This monitor works beautifully with Lightroom, Perfect Suite and Topaz Labs which makes editing photographs a dream. Although I don't do any Video editing myself I have tested this monitor with various video editing suites and they all work perfectly. I have tried this monitor with various MMORPG games and once again they all work with panache. Oh, and if you are into DVDs then I would suggest watching them using "TotalMedia Theatre 6" software which can handle ultra wide monitors far better than any other program I own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks great only minor issue, 7 Sept. 2014
Best screen I have ever used. Easily accommodates 2 browser/ work windows side by side and looks great. Only downside is the inability to wall/ stand mount it

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible for films and games, 18 May 2014
Movies are amazing on this, fully immersive without the black lines top and bottom. It would be like watching a film on a 35' tv ((roughly) which has aspect of 16:9).

As for gaming its also really good, gives you more of a surround feeling without having multiple monitors and bezels. Please note not all games support this but the ones that don't can be fixed with third party software.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't recommend this monitor enough, 22 Oct. 2014
As long as you've got a beefy enough card to support running games in this resolution, I can't recommend this monitor enough. The viewing angles are quite limited, so it's best suited as a gaming monitor and not for multiple people watching movies, but playing Bioshock Infinite in 21:9 is incredible. So much more immersive. I've played lots of games in 2560 x 1080 res, XCom, Syndicate, and it really does add a lot more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 10 Dec. 2014
Bought this ready for Elite Dangerous and I have to say its perfect. Black's are true and consistent. Contrast is strong and the update speed makes for a great gaming experience. Thoroughly recommend if you are looking for an ultra-widesceen.

1.0 out of 5 stars Superb initially but now FAILED, 15 May 2014
The 21:9 takes a bit of getting used to but once the learning period is over this is a first class monitor.

Update:
Worked perfectly for 7 months.
Suddenly a vertical red line appeared - taken a screen image and the line was not there. Conclusion: the monitor is faulty. After a lot of fiddling the line became white and then disappeared.
I was ready to order a Samsung 32 inch screen but decided to wait. I am sure this hardware issue will return soon. Not good news for this monitor. Not buying Asus again.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you need the screen space of two monitors, but don't want the hassle a dual monitor set-up, this will do the job nicely, 8 Oct. 2014
Easy to set up. Bright clear image. No faulty pixels. Lots of screen estate for the money. If you need the screen space of two monitors, but don't want the hassle a dual monitor set-up, this will do the job nicely. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Screen, 31 Mar. 2014
I received this at the weekend, and it's amazing, the colours are so vibrant. It's not as big as I first thought it was going to be, but that is mainly down to the lack of height on the monitor. which it makes up with the width.

Regarding the UK plug, I was under a similar impression as the reviewer below. When you first open up the package bundled with the rest of the cables (which there are a lot) is a European plug, however when I took off the first layer of packaging next to the monitor was a UK plug.

I am looking to get another one next month.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›