4.0 out of 5 stars Important note about license transfer
Potential buyers should note that following a lot of negative press about non-transferable Office licenses, Microsoft changed this policy in March 2013.
You may transfer the software to another computer that belongs to you, but not more than one time every 90 days (except due to hardware failure, in which case you may transfer sooner).

"Based on customer...
Published 19 months ago by Paul Westerman

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware users of PowerPivot
Excel has, since 2010, a free add-in called PowerPivot which makes data analysis easy and quick. It's an absolute essential for any information worker (accountant, analyst, etc).
Microsoft, in its stupidity, has decided to, without telling anyone, disable the add-in for any one other than corporate volume licences.
I bought 2013 on the reasonable assumption...
Published 13 months ago by Belvoir

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware users of PowerPivot, 8 Nov 2013
I bought 2013 on the reasonable assumption that, as an upgrade to 2010, it would do the same and more. How wrong I was.
I now have a useless Office 2013 and will have to uninstall and go back to 2010 until Microsoft comes to its senses. I have asked to return the software to Amazon and am waiting for a response....

3.0 out of 5 stars No problems with the downloaded version. Be careful during install though., 25 Nov 2013
Amazon Customer (Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013 (1PC/1User) [Download] (Software Download)
Though this installed fine on my system (Windows 7, SP1, 64-Bit), I did have problems installing the Office 365 trial (before I chose instead to buy the Home and Student 2013 download from Amazon). The problem for me seemed to be as it says you can start using office straight away (before the product has even been installed). I didn't try this, but after the introduction video (which starts playing whilst it is installing) there is an option to "learn more". After clicking this, the Office 365 trial opened a Powerpoint presentation, whilst Office was still installing, and Powerpoint promptly crashed. The installer also gave several "critical" errors, but continued installing eventually and despite the problems, everything seemed to work fine when it had finished.

I could understand how this may cause serious problems to your install--depending on whereabouts the installer had gotten to--so I'd recommend not trying to open any programs or clicking the "learn more" button. I didn't do anything with this download version (just let it install) and it installed without any problems for me.

The software itself is great. I prefer it to 2010 mainly as it seems to load a lot quicker (all programs load in a couple of seconds, whereas with Office 2010 it was an irritating 10-20 on my system). I also really like the new start screen--which looks beautiful and gives you easy access to all your recently used/pinned documents as well as the templates on Office.com (though you can turn it off in the options if you prefer to go straight to the program). I use templates a lot, so for me this was excellent. The other great thing (for me) is that the response time inside of the program is also much snappier (the ribbon switches instantly between "tabs", whereas in 2010, from a cold start, each of the tabs would into RAM as you used them). It is a small difference, but also means you can get working almost immediately without the program doddering about for a while initially.

The ability to automatically save to your Sky Drive folder is welcome (though you can easily change it to save to another folder if you prefer). It doesn't seem any slower to me: there is a noticeable pause once you save something for the first time, but saving with the button on the quick access toolbar afterwards is almost instant.

Of course, though, the main drawback is the new single-computer licensing restriction (for which reason I'm only giving it 3 stars (1 star licensing and 5 star software). As I only use one PC, it's not a problem for me, but I can totally understand anyone refusing to pay twice if they have a laptop also. There is the option, now, though, of buying this for your main PC, and installing Office 2010 starter (just search for "download Office 2010 starter", M$ have made it freely available now) to your secondary device. I know it has annoying adverts, but I used to use WordWeb--a downloadable dictionary and thesaurus which you can set to "stay on top"--to cover them. Though obviously not as good as the full Office (it only has cut-down editions of Excel and Word), this is a decent compromise if you do most of your work on one PC and just use your laptop for basic editing on the move.

4.0 out of 5 stars Important note about license transfer, 21 May 2013
Paul Westerman (West Sussex) - See all my reviews

"Based on customer feedback we have changed the Office 2013 retail license agreement to allow customers to transfer the software from one computer to another," Microsoft's Jevon Fark said in a blog post on Wednesday. "This means customers can transfer Office 2013 to a different computer if their device fails or they get a new one."

4.0 out of 5 stars There's Nothing Like Office., 21 Aug 2013
Coincidence Vs Fate - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Despite what other reviewers have said I actually don't mind that you don't actually get a physical disc for your monwey. Microsoft have done this for a while. In the past as part of my employers HUP I've had Office Enterprise and a few other versions in the past whereby I've just received my serial number and a download link.

You do have to sign up with Microsoft now though to use their software, so you have to register before you downloading and it's worth noting that you are "signed in" while using Word, etc. One useful feature though is SkyDrive - similar to Google's and many others - that lets you save stuff to the cloud.

Office 2013 is similar to the two previous versions. After six years I still struggle to remember where all the functions are. Things were much clearer up to the 2003 version in my opinion.

I'm using Home and Student 2013 on a Windows 8, Toshiba touch screen laptop. On starting Word you are presented with a batch of templates from a Blank Document to other flyers, etc. The most annoying thing for me is when clicking on the blank document once it's loaded the on-screen keyboard fires up and I have to close it every time. I'm hoping that there is a solution to that tucked somewhere away in the menus. The ribbon menu is familiar to users of 2007 and 2010 with HOME having all the nitty-gritty options such as font, font size, effects, etc.

Although I like using LibreOffice, etc there's nothing like Word, even versions which are 15 years old still work perfectly well. 2013 is great for W8 touch screens and I would recommend it to anyone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Read license before buying.... a change of policy, 2 Mar 2013
Since writing this review Microsoft have had a change of heart-well, a change of policy anyway. I understand that the license is now transferable on new purchases. Well done us!-

I have always liked Microsoft Home Office and have used it for many years, but they have gone too far with Office 2013. Upping the price is one thing but making the license `One time purchase for the life of your PC; non-transferrable' is outrageous.

It means if you change your PC, reinstall Windows, or install a replacement hard drive you have to buy a new copy of Office 2013. Do the words shot and foot mean anything?

It may be part of your cunning plan to drive us into your cloud based 365 subscription version, but me? When the time comes I am off to Open Office: it is free and almost as good.

4.0 out of 5 stars The standard office suite, 3 Mar 2013
This does pretty much exactly the same thing as previous versions of Microsoft office but with a few new cloud storage features and other small refinements. It is fully functional though but it will only work on a fairly recent computer (the requirements are windows 7 or 8). The biggest downside is the licence is for one computer only which makes it cost more than the previous version which was for three computers. As long as it is the industry standard expect similar behaviour from Microsoft in the future where it may become a in the cloud product only. Otherwise a fairly good product but only worth buying if you really need it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware! Expensive "upgrade", 1 Feb 2013
Comical Engineer "comicaleng" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Price & restrictions
MS have effectively increased the price of Office by over 300%. Beware especially of the "lease" deal which will effectively kill your copy if you don't keep up the payments ($100 per year). Secondly, despite the box, you don't ever get a disc. This is just a stonking great download which will take about an hour on a 2mb connection. Product is locked to the PC it is installed on. It is impossible to use the copy elsewhere. This will be the most expensive office software in the 21st century to date.

The interface
If you disliked office 2007/10 then you will dislike this even more. No more colours, just grey on grey with a grey background. Looks as interesting and exciting as a bowl of cold porridge. Tab titles are NOW IN ALL CAPITALS why????? Pointless & annoying.

If you have a tablet you can now make the icons bigger. Other than that, there is no advantage over office 2010 that I can find.

Documents
When you save something you are primarily directed towards "THE CLOUD" where MS want you to store all your docs - two issues with this, firstly it means that MS and anyone else they like can access your potentially private & confidential docs; secondly MS assumes that you have a fast internet connection all of the time.

Outlook appears to have some issues in terms of sharing calendars which have caused major problems for some people.

Conclusions
Time to ditch this overpriced, control freak, dull bloatware and move onto something infinitely preferable. This is the worst version of MS Office ever, and I have been a user since 1992.

After office 2007 was released I ported all of our standard document formats into Libre Office .odt format. That now looks like a really good decision and I heartily recommend ditching MS Office and migrating to Libre Office or Open Office asap. Save your money and save your sanity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to setup and easy to use!, 3 Dec 2014
Silvester (Sheffield, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Previous to purchasing Office 2013 Home and Student we use to use Libra Office as a free alternative. The problem I found however was that both myself and my wife are used to using the official Microsoft Office package at work and while I am pretty happy to switch between the 2 the wife much preferred using Microsoft Office over Libra Office – simply because it was what she was used to.

*** The Set-up ***

I personally found it really easy to set-up Office 2013. You go to a specific Microsoft page, you pop in your product key, you pop in your existing Microsoft email address or setup a new one, you validate the email address if it’s a new account and you download the software. It’s really pretty simple.

I’ve noticed through reading other reviews and feedback in my job as a tech support agent that there are a lot of people who really struggle with the fact they have to setup a Microsoft account in order to use the latest version of Microsoft Office. The only reason I can see for this is that if you don’t already have a Microsoft account or have an email address with a different provider, people who don’t understand what a Microsoft account is get confused because they can’t enter their own email address as you can with lots of other software vendors like Norton and McAfee.

Although I haven’t experienced this issue personally; in my role providing tech support to others, I have come across instances where customers have tried to install their new version of Office and the installation has failed. I’ve generally found this has been down to a previous version of Office causing some confusion for the installer. I generally find the best way to resolve any problems like this is to download the Office Removal Tool which can be found on the Microsoft website with a quick google. This makes sure any other versions of Office are removed before you try and install Office 2013.

*** Using Microsoft Office 2013 ***

Office 2013 is similar to the two previous versions with a few modifications to try and make it easier.

Within the package, you get Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote.

There have been very few changes to the layout of each program. The menus have changed visually and when you open Word you are now presented with a page which makes suggestions for templates you may want to use, but apart from that, anyone who has used a previous version of Microsoft Office should be able to take to Office 2013 like a duck to water.

A lot of people will suggest using free alternatives to Microsoft Office such as Libra Office and Open Office. While I agree that if you don’t want to pay for Office, these 2 programs and great alternatives I find that some people don’t like using these 2 programs because they are different to what they are used to if they have used Microsoft Office previously. I also find that for some people Libra Office and Open Office can confuse people as it has a tendency to suggest that you save your documents in their native file formats, rather than in a .doc format or an .xls format for example. Although you can consciously change it to save the formats in the Official format, you don’t need to worry about this with the Official Microsoft product.

*** Potential Problems ***

As with all pieces of software, Office can at times become corrupted or damaged and not open correctly. This can often be fixed however using the repair tool available within your Control Panel under Programs and Features. Simply locate Microsoft Office, double click on it and a message will appear asking if you want to remove or repair it. Often repairing it is the best place to start. The repair tool gives you 2 options – a quick repair and an online repair. The quick repair will sometimes repair the product, but is not as thorough as the online repair. The online repair compares the files on your machine against an online copy for inconsistencies and re-downloads the damaged file if necessary.

On some occasions you may find that you are unable to repair the software within Programs and Features. If this happens I would suggest trying to uninstall it and then reinstall it. Some people find however that when they try and remove Microsoft Office it seems to get stuck while uninstalling. This is generally where the program has become really corrupted. In this instance, I would normally suggest doing a search for the Office Removal Tool. This is a special tool designed by Microsoft to remove Office when you are unable to do so through Programs and Features.

For Customers using Microsoft Office 2013 on Windows 8 with an Epson Printer there is a common issue where you are unable to load Office 2013. This is caused by a conflict between a piece of software often bundled in with Epson Printer software called Abbyy Fine Reader.

This problem can be resolved by following the steps below:

You will need to open each Office application individually and then disable the Abbyy Fine Reader as described below.

Type excel /safe and press Enter to start Excel 2013

Type outlook /safe and press Enter to start Outlook 2013

Type winword /safe and press Enter to start Word 2013

Type powerpnt /safe and press Enter to start PowerPoint 2013

Type mspub /safe and press Enter to start Publisher 2013

Once you have opened the application you want to disable the plugin within, you will then need to follow the steps below:

Keep the Office application running in the Safe Mode.

Click File > Options > Add-Ins.

Next to the Manage list, click Go.

Uncheck the ABBYY FineReader add-in and click OK.

Restart the application (not in Safe Mode this time).

Information on how to do this can be found on the Microsoft Website also.

*** Conclusion ***

Overall I would highly recommend Office 2013 over the free alternatives available such as Libra Office and Open Office. Simply because its more than likely what you’re already use to using and you can save your files and email it off to a friend without worry of them not being able to read it. As long as they have a version of Microsoft Office installed – which most people will – they shouldn’t have any problems opening the files you have sent them.

1.0 out of 5 stars Time to ditch Microsoft Office, 31 Jan 2013
I have been using Microsoft Office for ONLY the Word component, and it has worked well for me, but as a home user, I always felt even the Student and Home edition was priced too high.

I will follow the advice of the reviewers here, and stop using my Office 2010 when a free alternative is better, or when Office 2010 starts giving problems.

If Microsoft had priced this at less than £40, for up to 3 PCs, I would not have hesitated to continue with Microsoft Office. They have lost a hitherto happy and faithful customer on account of their greed.

1.0 out of 5 stars A good deal for Microsoft, but a poor deal for the buyer. Far too many usage issues, 24 Feb 2013
Andy_atGC (London UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Microsoft have two major income streams. The largest is from licensing Windows and the second is from Office.

Income from Windows was much reduced on the release of Windows 7 and has dropped further since Windows 8 was released. The corporate buyers are refusing to commit to either upgrade and that is where the big bucks should derive. Office provided a steady, but not dramatically large, income stream for many years but the impact of freebies such as Open Office and Libre Office and the costs of licensing hundreds and possibly thousands of users makes the no-cost alternatives very attractive. To add to the problem, employees using Libre or Open Office may well be tempted to use the same software at home and the truth is that many have. Many of these freebies are functionally identical to the mainstream products in all but a few little-used areas and, interface aside, few will notice or regret the move from the paid-for product.

Microsoft needed to come up with an alternative plan and the current license model where the license is not transferable from one user to another or from one machine to its successor owned by the same user may seem attractive to MS, especially if the annual, renewable license is chosen which produces a guaranteed income for a number of years. Adobe use a similar model and some suggest that it is negatively affecting their sales. It is less than attractive to most potential purchasers.

Unless there is an absolute necessity to remain loyal to MS Office, perhaps if the extra modules included with the Professional version or above (Visio, for example) are an essential, or especially if you want to to have a unified user interface with Windows 8 - the product which alone is internally considered an economic failure within Microsoft - then you will lose little by adopting one of the freebies.

The current deal makes little sense to the end-user and those who have Office 2007 or 2010 may wish to continue using them. The differences are slight and primarily GUI-related.

As the software is not provided on media, it needs to be downloaded and for many it is a less than simple solution as their connections don't have the needed speed or consistency. With some ISP's tendency to unannounced arbitrary disconnections, you may need to attempt several downloads before succeeding with one. Paying close to £100 for this annoying privilege, is not a good deal.

No longer recommended!

POSTSCRIPT @ 07-2013

Although purchasing a licensed copy from a legitimate source, it has twice negated the registration after a single use. I have decided to call it a day with this nonsense and have switched to using LibreOffice 4. It is a freebie, is problem free and compatible with all the MS Office alternatives that I am likely ever to use or need.

Although MS have apparently responded to some of the end-user and press reactions to this software, I feel wholly unable to offer a recommendation and strongly suggest using one or other of the excellent freebies that exist. Save your money!