5.0 out of 5 stars Outlook works, finally
Office Mac home and business 2011 is an incremental upgrade to the Office 2008, with one crucial difference: Outlook is included, and it actually works.

Published 13 months ago by Martin Turner

I bought this product 2 days ago and have spent all my time since trying to get Amazon to help in trying to get the corrupt file that they have available on their website fixed. But they offer no help, they simply palmed me off to Microsoft who have been uncontactable using the numbers that Amazon gave me.

To be clear, Amazon's download link is corrupt and they...
Published 8 months ago by raffihabel

5.0 out of 5 stars Outlook works, finally, 14 Jun 2013
Martin Turner "Martin Turner" (Marlcliff, Warwickshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)

I've been using Microsoft Office since 1990 on MS-DOS, Windows and Macs, and, from memory, this is my tenth different version. Fundamentally it still does the things it was good at in 1990, but it has added on many peripheral tools. I doubt that anyone uses all of them.

When Macs went to OS X, Microsoft did not release an OS X version of the Exchange client. For a while we continued to use the OS9 version, but after a point OS X no longer supported OS9 applications. In previous editions of Office, Microsoft has included Entourage, designed as a Mac equivalent to Outlook. Entourage was fine as a replacement for Mail and iCal, if you wanted one, but, crucially, it never managed for me to connect to work-based Exchange servers. In fact, Apple Mail and Calendar worked, but MS's own product didn't.

In addition to an interface makeover, a handful of newer functions, access to MS online services and, Visual Basic, Office Business Edition now comes with Outlook. It connected painlessly to our Exchange servers, and allows me to give delegate access, which Exchange for Web doesn't and neither -- for our server -- would Apple Calendar.

If Exchange is important to you, this is worth the price of the new version, and also worth the price difference between this and the Home and Student edition, which doesn't offer Exchange.

The other new features -- and many of the old features -- are take-it-or-leave-it. The ability to edit pictures and diagrams is ok, but not as good as proper Mac software like OmniGraffle which does this in a dedicated fashion. Visual Basic is useful if you like to do your own programming. It's at least good to see it back, as it was dropped a couple of versions ago.

All in all, this is the first version for some time which really offers the same functionality (minus Access and Publisher) that the Windows version offers. It is also -- according to Microsoft -- the last version to be offered on a purchase basis, as, in common with adobe, MS has now moved to a subscription basis.

1.0 out of 5 stars AMAZON AT FAULT!!! DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS, FILE IS CORRUPT AND AMAZON DO NOT HELP - IF I COULD GIVE ZERO STARS I WOULD, 4 Nov 2013
This review is from: Office Mac 2011 Home and Business 2011 - 1 User [Download] (Software Download)

To be clear, Amazon's download link is corrupt and they will do nothing to fix it.

I have been trying to get a refund but Amazon have refused. This is not good enough from Amazon. They should provide me with a full refund so that I can purchase from a website that actually works!

This has completely changed my view of Amazon and I won't be using them again.

3.0 out of 5 stars As expected. Easy download but Amazon is unable to produce invoice (including VAT), 19 Dec 2013
Microsoft office is as expected. The download process was quick and easy.

The only annoying thing is that Amazon does not want to produce invoices (with VAT) for software downloaded on their web-site. I asked for one and someone from Amazon kindly called me back telling it was not possible as they send only to those to private addresses. After insisting, he told me I will get an invoice by mail. 10 days later, still nothing. Amazon does not seem to be keen to send proper invoice with VAT which make me wonder if they are not using a VAT lower rate (from Luxembourg, for instance) or no VAT at all?

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this from Amazon, 11 Mar 2014
J. MARSHALL "James Can Dance" (London UK) - See all my reviews
Do not on any account buy this from Amazon. Microsoft will not support you if it goes wrong. I bought it from Amazon and it took 6 days to resolve. If there are problems in downloading then Amazon do not help you in any way. Microsoft are worse, they just do not know what they are doing. They are the worse company I've ever dealt with. Each department told me something different and it costs a fortune to ring them. Eventually, close to a breakdown, I rang Apple and they patched in remotely and sorted everything out. So if you have to buy this product buy it from Apple (I also think it's better to buy the CD.) Personally the whole thing has made me start using Apple products like pages, numbers and keynote. I want to get Microsoft out of my life. I actually feel violated by the service and Amazon were clueless too.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's good, but not quite the same as the Windows Version, 8 Jan 2014
It's basically the same package as you'd get on a Windows platform, but there's several differences, most notably the inability to get read receipts on emails.

If you need cross-compatibility, then it's a necessary evil.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, 16 Dec 2013
Was a bit unsure about what Office software to buy but I'm glad I went with this. Works very well and although its a bit pricey its well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy download, 11 Nov 2013
This was an easy purchase and it was simple download. Does exactly what I needed for my new Mac Mini.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solved a big problem, 10 Nov 2013
I am a remote worker with a mac and most of my colleagues have PCs. This has saved me time and effort when sharing documents, calendars etc.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unusable Outlook, 4 Feb 2014
Microsoft have known for a long time that there are issues with Outlook identities. Long and short, the proprietary Microsoft system of 'identities' become frequently corrupted, meaning that every time Outlook connects to a mail server, Outlook thinks its seeing the same message for the first time, which means it will download 100's of messages again you have already read.

Follow MS instructions and you will rebuild your identity or have to re-install Outlook. If you do this, you will lose access to all of your existing e-mail accounts, folders, diary entries etc. You will still be able to find them on your Mac, but Outlook won't let you view them as they were created with a 'different' identity.

If you need further proof that Microsoft is not interested in supporting Mac communities, you only need to read the Apple and Office forums on this subject. MS must know about the issue and choose not to fix it. Contrary to what appears in some of the forums, this is not an Apple issue but down to how MS have chosen to set up Outlook. Sorry you'll have to use Mail or similar, even though Miscrosoft will have charged you for a non-workable product. Disgusting.

5.0 out of 5 stars happy with, 7 July 2014