4.0 out of 5 stars The Hollywood Antidote
Published 7 months ago by chatfan

3.0 out of 5 stars A Very a Strange Film
A very strange film, that I must admit I skipped through. It could not keep my interest. The film starts out with a woman in bed answering a phone and then listening and acting out instructions. However, not to get excited, this was a film in rehearsal. Much of what we see turns out to be something else.

I am not familiar with Brit filmmaker, Mike Figgis,...
Published 3 months ago by prisrob

3.0 out of 5 stars A Very a Strange Film, 31 Mar 2014
prisrob "pris," (New England USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Suspension of Disbelief [DVD] (DVD)

I am not familiar with Brit filmmaker, Mike Figgis, however, this film becomes a tongue-in-cheek wreck. A writer, played by Sebastian Koch, turned professor of film gives a birthday party for his daughter. She is the girl playing the part in the opening of this film. As the party continues a beautiful woman, played by Lotte Verbeek, appears, flirts with dad , and we snippets of a passionate kiss. Hours later the young woman turns up dead. The writer is visited at home by a detective, who wants to see the entire house, talks a little about the dead young girl, then asks the writer to read his script. Where is this leading?

At the funeral for the young woman, her twin sister appears. This twin is a toned down version of the original, but looks very much like her. She moves in with the writer and his daughter for a while. She then leaves to return to her home. During her stay, several flirtatious times take place. Then the unanswered questions. If this was film noir, it missed big time. But, see this film for yourself.

Not Recommended For Me. prisrob 03-31-14

4.0 out of 5 stars The Hollywood Antidote, 11 Dec 2013
This review is from: Suspension of Disbelief [DVD] (DVD)
This is a cool movie, it touches on every single issue I have with hollywood movie machine in a very clever way. It is a bit like jazz, it flows freely and expects you to be involved and figure out some things for yourself as well. No fully dished out nonsense with simple plot points but an ode to movies and filmmaking. It is not for everybody, but I can't tell you who will love it, I can only tell you I did and I thought it was a revelation.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Strange movie, 1 Oct 2013
This review is from: Suspension of Disbelief [DVD] (DVD)
I really love Sebastian Koch in things and he doesnt disappoint, the quality of his craft is good. It was a strange movie. With the mix of what was happening and the student comments, maybe too arty for me.

Suspension of Disbelief [DVD]
Suspension of Disbelief [DVD] by Mike Figgis (DVD - 2013)
14.20