Published 1 month ago by Speedwell

1.0 out of 5 stars Dropped the ball and in great danger of jumping the shark.
Published 2 months ago by James

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like Sherlock Holmes and have never tried these out, do!, 7 Jun 2014
This is the third in the BBC's totally watchable series, starring Benedict Cummerbatch, and Martin Freeman, with both actors playing really believable parts and making a delightful duo. Sherlock has been brought into today; normally, I don't like this, but was instantly captivated by the first episode. (Am no spring chick, but my 93yr old mother loves them as well.) These are not just believable, they are fast and slick, up to date technologically, and are the kind of tv drama that one wants to see more than once. There is so much in them. Worth a punt if 'you' are not sure about buying this and/or have missed the tv. I have them all!

1.0 out of 5 stars Dropped the ball and in great danger of jumping the shark., 2 May 2014
Let me give the writers of Sherlock a little tip - don't do season ending cliff-hangers if you can't think of a satisfactory resolution to them. Both the first and second seasons ended with cliff-hangers, the start of the second season opted for the rather cheap strategy of simply dissolving the tension with a little humorous moment; disappointing, but forgivable. The 'resolution' (if you can call it that) that we get to the massive s2 cliff-hanger, is quite frankly insulting.

Unfortunately that is just the start of this season's problems. Sherlock has been away for 2 years and returns with a personality transplant, he is practically a different character this season. The show has become far too self-aware and often comes across as a smug, fan-service for the Tumblr generation: "Look at us, our show is popular and trendy" the writers seem to be saying.

Tonally this season is unrecognisable from its predecessors, with a much greater emphasis on comedy. Remember this is a series that had dark moments like a blind, elderly woman being killed - along with many others - in an explosion... now we have drunk Sherlock and 'Elephant in the room' (literally). I have nothing against the funny moments, but I always felt they worked best in moderation - it is still meant to be a drama series, after all.

'Style over substance' is a phrase that is commonly used to describe this third season, and I'm afraid I have to agree. The production and editing are as slick as ever, but there isn't a great deal of plot to be found here. In fact it would be flattering to describe the first two episodes as anything other than 'filler' - pretty shocking when you consider that it is only a 3 episode season.

The only bright spark here is Martin Freeman - who is in absolute top form these episodes. His performance alone saves some of the more absurd developments (such as the twist regarding his new wife) from being total jump the shark moments. You can't help but feel bad for him being let down by utterly dreadful material to work with.

I really hope the writers can get this show back on track - though judging from their need to make Moriarty relevant again to keep people interested (if I had one criticism of the first two seasons it would be an over-reliance on Moriarty), I can't say I'm particularly excited about the future of Sherlock...

5.0 out of 5 stars Evolution of a Detective, 3 Jun 2014
This review is from: Sherlock - Complete Series 3 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Part of what was brilliant about the first season of Sherlock was that it brought to life that version of Holmes rarely seen on screen -- the brittle, downright unpleasant young man of Conan Doyle's earliest stories. The one who's actually pretty unkind to his new friend John Watson yet feels a need to have him around that, perhaps, even his genius can't quite work out.

But just as Conan Doyle felt the need to evolve his hero into the... well, not *cuddly* -- never *cuddly*... but slightly more good humoured, genuine and devoted best friend to Dr. Watson, so have the writers of Sherlock needed to move the character and situation on.

Some have been critical of S3 for not featuring more cold, clinical detective work. but this season, it seems to me, is the bridge to Sherlock's new world. If the first seasons were about Watson learning to live in Sherlock's world, then this is about Sherlock learning to live in John's. These three stories feature probably the greatest emotional upheavals of Sherlock's life so it's right that that be the focus. There'll be time for Cases of the Week next time out, now this New World Order has been established.

2.0 out of 5 stars I am hesitant to review this badly as the series ..., 24 July 2014
I am hesitant to review this badly as the series has had so much to offer. The main ingredients are still here - Freeman and Cumberbatch fencing with each other and the comic relief of Sherlock's dysfunctional logical brain - but the wedding episode once again gave us a murder method which to say the least stretched the imagination. I think I would have remained positive until I saw the awful rehandling of the Master Blackmailer which simply failed as a storyline (where are the files? - I won't spoil it but - ugh) and the ending was plain ridiculous. And do we really get that villain back again? Nooooo!!! Despite all, there is a magic here and albeit there are times when I have shook my head I am still looking forward to Series 4. PLEASE, scriptwriters, give us the stories and the quality the premise deserves or draft in someone who can!

5.0 out of 5 stars Still the best, 15 July 2014
This series had its up and downs but always brilliantly acted and engaging as the previous two. About the dvd, I hoped for audio commentaries(there weren't any) and extra content, there were only some interviews and behind the scenes.

5.0 out of 5 stars This has to be one of the best modern takes on sherlock Holmes I have ever seen, 10 July 2014
This has to be one of the best modern takes on sherlock Holmes I have ever seen. It is really entertaining and addictive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 9 July 2014
I love the Sherlock series. I had the other 2 series and so now I have the third

5.0 out of 5 stars Binge on this, 3 July 2014
Fantabulous. Watched 3 seasons back to back. Cannot help but keep rooting for Sherlock. I hope BBC keeps this going indefinitely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 28 Jun 2014
Always loved the stories of Sherlock Holmes but the modern twist is fantastic - really rate the two key players Benedict and Martin!! Mrs Hudson played by Una Stubbs is also outstanding

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 24 Jun 2014
So good to have this latest series on DVD now so I can watch it over and over. Great programme.

Sherlock - Complete Series 3 [Blu-ray]
Sherlock - Complete Series 3 [Blu-ray] by Benedict Cumberbatch (Blu-ray - 2014)
14.69