4.0 out of 5 stars On-line Security.
Thought I would upgrade my PC security and after much research decided upon Bitfender, as it had one of the best reviews, pleased with it so far, does what it says on the box.
Published 12 months ago by minelab 77

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't get ripped off!
First, Bitdefender is a very good antivirus product.

Published 8 months ago by J M PROWSE

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't get ripped off!, 7 Mar 2014
This review is from: Bitdefender Total Security (2014): 1 User - 1 Year (PC) (CD-ROM)
First, Bitdefender is a very good antivirus product.

HOWEVER, my experience with the company and their agents has not been good. Some time before my license was due to expire, Bitdefender sent me a lot of offers, inviting me to renew early at a discounted price. They were good offers, so I did renew early. However, 7 days before the original license would have expired I received an email from a company called "Digital River", who claimed to be Bitdefenders' agents, saying "when you purchased BitDefender, you accepted an Auto Renewal facility with Digital River on behalf of BitDefender", and that therefore they were going to renew my subscription for another year. I certainly never knowingly accepted an "auto renewal facility"; this is something I would never do. I can only presume that I failed to notice some pre-checked tickbox in an obscure corner of the web form.

As I had already renewed my subscription, directly with Bitdefender, obviously I didn't need a duplicate subscription. Luckily, included in the email from Digital River was a link to a website where, it was stated, I could cancel the Digital River subscription. Naturally, I tried to do that. Having apparently accepted my details, the website directed me to another page, where I was invited to log in again with my email address and password. This failed. I thought I might have got my password wrong, so I asked for my password to be sent to me. I then tried to log in again, using the email address that Digital River had used to communicate with me (the one I had used to buy the original subscription) and the password that had just been sent to me. The response was always the same: "Enter a valid email address"!

I sent an email to Bitdefender's "Help" department, explaining the situation and asking them to cancel the renewal instigated by their agents, but received NO REPLY WHATSOEVER.

From all this it is clear to me that:

- There is no synchronization between the renewal activities of Bitdefender and their agents, Digital River.
- The D.R. "unsubscribe" website is specifically designed to *prevent* you from cancelling your subscription.
- Bitdefender's customer service is useless.

Buy this at your peril!

4.0 out of 5 stars On-line Security., 14 Nov 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars It really is the best!, 13 Feb 2014
After getting frustrated with McAfee for years (very expensive, slow computer and no user friendly interface) this Bitdefender Total Security is a breath of fresh air. First of all my computer is a lot quicker using this software. It also has a user friendly interface with a lot of options for pro-actively managing my computer. After running the "Tuneup" options my computer is almost as quick as when it was new. The virus-scan is also excellent. My up-to-date total protection virus-scanner from the first mentioned "maccoffee" company , which cost me a rediculous 90 euro a year, told me everything was fine, but after running my new Bitdefender virus-scan 28 infected files were found! In short it is better and a lot cheaper. The vulnerability scanner is also very handy, detecting security issues and updates straight away. In short really excellent procuct for a reasonable price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bitefender, 18 Sep 2013
I had always used Kaspersky, but this year I did some research and Bitefender caught my eye.
It is easy to use and operate. I like the desktop short cut, as it lets you know when there is some thing wrong at a glance.
I would recommend this to any one that wants there computer secure.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT COMPATIBLE WITH 8.1, 18 Jan 2014
J. Hartog (Europe) - See all my reviews
Bought this following the good reviews by those in the know.
But Bitdefender Total Security 2014 caused me and my computer major problems.
After a simple programmed scan it went into Rescue Mode and there was no way out of this loop. The only way would have been a System Recovery bringing the system back to Factory default!
Bitdefender Technical Support were either overstretched or lacking in staff. It is wholly unacceptable to have to wait 13 days, yes THIRTEEN DAYS, before a techie starts giving you suggestions. Then after various messages and help from a friend I could gain access to my computer but at every reboot I had to use the temporary fix to get into Windows through some backdoor.
Only a slight admission was forthcoming together with an extension to my subscription.
I fully removed this program (ENSURE YOU USE THE BITDEFENDER UNINSTALLATION TOOL AFTER REMOVING PROGRAM!) and went back to F-Secure, bliss!

4.0 out of 5 stars it does what it says, 7 Dec 2013
bought this because its half the price of AVG seems to do the job.. i like it .... would recommend for the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, 15 Feb 2014
I was driven to look for a different suite of protection software by the McAfee assumption and insistence that I renew my package with them. Nothing wrong with the suite but I did not like the assumption that I would carry on regardless. Uninstalling the McAfee suite proved straightforward but took a long time to find the right piece of software, which further irritated me.

I searched the web to see what was recommended as an alternative and Bitdefender received consistent good reviews and it was less that half the renewal price, albeit for a one licence copy.

It seems to operate quietly in the background and provides a minimal level of interaction unless something requires attention. So far it has lived up to expectations and lacks the insistent "I'm here doing a really good job for you" message that its rivals appear to generate. I hope my review is not premature but it has so far done what I wish it to do! I can also uninstall it when I feel like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, 13 Oct 2013
The product lives up to the revues as being the best on the market and has performed exactly what it claims to be able to do.

1.0 out of 5 stars Months of pain!, 22 July 2014
Read the reviews like everyone else so thought I'd give it a go. Have a new Surface Pro 2.

Been through Zonealarm pro, Vipre in previous years which were not the best but at least did not choke up the PC on a regular basis.

Bought multi PC, 3 year total security license. When ordered it said it supported windows 8.

What a nightmare this has been. This product does not work on surface pro2.
Works better on my windows 7 dell i7 desktop but I have found issues where it freezes software when it thinks there is a virus when there is not.

So I thought I'd get some tech support regards windows 8 issue. They just danced around for days, time wasting and then declared that total security does not work on surface pro2.

Ok, so I downloaded bitdefender windows 8 for my surface pro2. Great stuff, worked but would not accept my total security license first of all. So I logged tech support and then suddenly it did - as if by magic!

S pro2 worked for a few months without too much trouble then all wifi internet connections stopped and cold not be restored. Only way to fix it was to restore the S Pro back to a previous point. Trouble is now I'm back to it not accepting total security license with has 900 days left to run!

Product not fit for purpose. Been months of pain!

1.0 out of 5 stars waste of time ....., 26 July 2014
I installed this on my laptop with no issues, but I was unhappy so I have uninstalled it and got a refund. I found that the software stops frames being shown. For example, on an ebay listing for a cd, I couldnt see any of the tracks as this box was replaced by a message saying bitdefender had blocked it. This was clearly not a dodgy website, so I figured the product settings needed adjusting. I tried to do this, but its a really user unfriendly interface and confusing terminology etc, so I googled it and emailed their customer support forum twice. They didnt reply so after a few weeks and a threat to uninstall and leave a poor review, I did just that. I could not recommend this product as I was never sure if it was set up properly and didnt want to spend hours on google working out how to use it. Even if it is a robust product, its of no use if you have to disable it to view routine websites and their customer care is appalling. There's no point having a system for customers to contact you if you cant be bothered to reply.

Bitdefender Total Security (2014): 1 User - 1 Year (PC)
Bitdefender Total Security (2014): 1 User - 1 Year (PC) by Bit defender (Windows 7 / 8 / Vista / XP)