4.0 out of 5 stars Unearthly
I had been rather disappointed with the previous Burzum album, Umskiptar. It very much felt like Varg had left the musical territory that he was comfortable with in branching out into melodic folk metal. With this album, he returns to ambient noise, a genre in which he is far more familiar and he does a great job with it.

I am really disappointed that so many...
Published 20 months ago by M. Clarke

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear, oh dear!!
What was I thinking...hindsight is wonderful....I actually listened to this the whole way through...and if you like ambient tosh then I am sure that you will love it!!

I didn't......
Published 20 months ago by Smithy

4.0 out of 5 stars Unearthly, 4 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Sol Austan, Mani Vestan (Audio CD)

I am really disappointed that so many fans are moaning about Burzum doing an ambient album. This stuff is really good. He has improved considerably from his earlier ambient efforts.

This music just feels so unearthly. It takes one to an whole new world. Like the best Burzum tracks, it awakens parts of the mind one does not normally use and unlocks forgotten dreams.

There are hints of Vinterriket here as well as Delerium.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful album with every note building story for the imagination, 7 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Sol Austan, Mani Vestan (Audio CD)
I have and always will follow Varg and his continuous work throughout his career. I find any album release strictly comprised of keyboard work to be refreshing.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite Varg's ambient album so far, 16 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Sol Austan, Mani Vestan (Audio CD)
The first time I listened to the album, I didn't like it. But the more I listened to it, the more I admired this work. Basically, I don't like reviewing music, because it's a very private experience, but I reckon this album doesn't deserve its current overall rating. That's the major reason I'm leaving my two cents here. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Original but good addition to the Burzum discography, 10 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Sol Austan, Mani Vestan (Audio CD)
if you like the ambient tracks/albums released by Burzum then you should love this. If, however, you usually skip passed them in favour of the metal tracks then you probably aren't going to have your mind changed about the ambient stuff by this album.

Having said that if you liked the mix of metal and ambient from, for example, Filosofem then this might be more to your liking than the albums that Varg released from prison. Not that this is a metal album but it feels like one. It's dark, brooding, haunting but also melancholy and bittersweet. Plus the drumming really adds to that feeling of a metal album. There is enough happening in the songs to keep you interested and I love the way melodies are repeated and how different they feel with slight changes in them or when surrounded by different sounds.

Having said that it does sound more like Tangerine Dream or The Orb than Mayhem or Emperor, albeit a very evil Tangerine Dream an album for everyone then, but what did you expect? it is a Burzum album after all!

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear, oh dear!!, 20 July 2013