5.0 out of 5 stars Brutally honest, but uplifting
Published 19 months ago by E. M. Tippetts

3.0 out of 5 stars Short Read.
Not a bad read. The way the story is structured is somewhat all over the place and the story jumps around but its not a bad read. Took me a couple of hours to finish. Not inspired to read any more of the authors work but it was ok.
Published 5 months ago by checkers340

5.0 out of 5 stars Brutally honest, but uplifting, 26 Dec 2012
E. M. Tippetts (London) - See all my reviews
I don't normally read drug memoir essays. I'm tired of long, arrogant ruminations by people who've wrecked their lives and believe that in the process they have learned some deep truth about how existence really is this pointless wasteland (does it ever occur to them that if you destroy anything, it tends to look pointless and wasted afterwards?) and those of us who haven't dared to live on the edge subsist in a fiction of our own making (really, if I want to see truth, I think not taking hallucinogenics is the way to go, but hey, that's just me.) I'm amused by the idea that a gritty description of the smell, taste, and texture of vomit spewed into a gutter is a great artistic accomplishment.

This essay, however, walks the sword edge of truth between needless glorification of alcoholism and simplistic platitudes about getting clean. Shubaly's drinking didn't wreck his life in the conventional sense. He's one of those people with enough brain power that he can subsist on a cocktail of drugs and alcohol and still get straight A's in school and hold down a job. By the same token, quitting drinking didn't land him in a blissful existence full of love, acceptance, and beauty. Rather, this essay reads like a journey through the proverbial tunnel to the light at the end, except the light isn't the kind that warms you up and makes the world look glorious (he tells the reader what drug to take if you want to see that one), but rather the kind that illuminates life as it is, with all its shabbiness and drudgery, its disappointments, hard choices and all around frustrations. Most important, it faces head on the fact that once you give up one obsession, life will still ask you, "So what now?" and while the answers might come more automatically with practice, they will never get easier.

I am glad Mishka's back and willing to tell the tale of where he's been. He and I were middle school classmates, people who could probably recognize each other on sight (if we're looking), pronounce each others last names (Shubaly has the stress on the second syllable, if I remember correctly), and have on rare occasions said something to the other, and on even rarer occasions said something that requires more than a smirk, chuckle, or sarcastic thumbs up in response. For years we've been connected on Facebook, but only recently have I seen him tearing up the virtual hallways with his crazy sense of humor and posting the odd (in all senses of the word) comment on someone's wall. There are a lot of things I was happy to leave behind in middle school, but I'm glad my association with Mishka wasn't one of them. Life isn't always pretty, but it's the people we share it with and who pace us on the long run that make the journey worthwhile.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice read, very honest., 30 Nov 2013
Nice read, felt the author was very honest, it flowed well and gave a very interesting view. I would read more by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant memoir, 11 April 2013
Mishka Shubaly is an extremely talented writer and there are some fantastic phrases and descriptions in this book. I actually bought it as I am a keen runner who has dabbled with a few ultas. But this is not a running book it is much more. Saying that the last chapters are fantastic.

This is an extremely honest book. It is quite brilliant.

4.0 out of 5 stars addicted to running, 7 April 2014
Liked the book. Mainly about his life before running, alcohol and drugs then finds running makes him feel better and replaces the drugs. Nice ending. No real insight I to the person but shows what people can do and that it is possible to turn a life around.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, Honest and Thought Provoking, 22 Mar 2014
A real journey out of a drunken and drug fuelled darkness and into sober ultra running. Quite profound in that Mishka doesn't contend he is now happy and fulfilled, just less unhappy than before. Accepts his human weaknesses and embraces the consolations of his new passion.

5.0 out of 5 stars simplicity and honesty, 8 Feb 2014
A straight forward account of one mans journey of self discovery. The running is the antecedent to alcohol ...or is it !

3.0 out of 5 stars Short Read., 31 Jan 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy read, 12 Jan 2014
An easy afternoon read. I enjoyed the book as I could relate to the running aspects, having started running myself in my late forties.

3.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable but way too short, 25 Nov 2013
I felt like I could connect with the story being told and was really enjoying the read, and then it ended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Class, 9 Oct 2013
Myself and my wife both read the book and found it interesting regarding the drug addiction and how the characters life changes through the book.