on 17 November 2013
This book does what it says on the tin. The title is "The Complete Guide " so difficult to justify criticism of the author for being "completist" as one of the reviews does. If you want a book to tell you how to quickly achieve particular effects then go for Scott Kelby (which I also own) or to web tutorials but if you want a reference guide to lightroom that goes well beyond the manual and help's you to understand what each control does "under the hood" and the potential that each has, then this is the book. Put another way if you want to create standard effects in a routine workflow without particularly caring how you are achieving them (nothing wrong with that) then this isn't the book but if you want a "complete guide" rather than set of workflows then this is the best book out there.
As to there being no point to this book because lightroom is a simple application, that just show a lack of understanding of lightroom which has evolved over the years into a complex piece of software capable of myriad effects. I have both LR and PS and back in the days of LR1 and 2 I used to find I would make a least some edits in PS on about 90% of images but as LR has evolved that number has steadily fallen and now I probably open less than 10% of images in PS. Is LR as complex as photoshop? Of course not but that doesn't mean there is no need for the book. If you want to exploit the full potential of LR rather than just slavishly follow effects created by others like Kelby or Kost then this book is what you want.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 February 2014
well having bought Lightroom 5 after loading it I found it was like a mine field , so I bought this book to use in tandem. the language is not too technical I am a bit of a numpty with computer, but found this book very useful and was well laid out great buy
on 31 January 2014
This is the third edition of Martin Evening's guide to Lightroom that I have bought. Each time there is a major upgrade to Lightroom I buy the the latest edition which comes out commendably quickly after the release of the software. The guide is very comprehensive & largely rewritten with each version. I can thoroughly recommend the book to all serious users of Lightroom
on 21 April 2014
This is quite a weighty tome but if you take things one step at a time it is not so daunting. Clear photos show what your screen will look like at each step and the written information is logical.
Only reason I have given it a 4* rating and not a 5 is because of the cost. That said, it would cost me a lot more to have a personal trainer at my side whenever I needed him.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
In a previous version of this book, the author tells of Mark Hamberg joking that Adobe must have 'failed in its mission to make Lightroom unreasonably simple if you need a book as thick as this one to understand it'.

Unfortunately, I don't think that it is Hamberg (one of the lead people in the development of Lightroom) that has failed.

The trouble is twofold: Evening is (1) a completist, and (2) he doesn't know how to prioritise the things that are important vs. the things that are peripheral. So you end up with a big book that goes through absolutely everything in fine detail, but actually tells you very little about real workflows. Put another way, Evening is more concerned about describing Lightroom than telling you how to actually use it.

If you want to learn Lightroom, steer well clear as this book will simply confuse you. It will make you believe that Lightroom is a complex application. My advice: Google 'learn lightroom adobe tv', and stick to learning only the library and develop module to start off with. They are the only two you will use 90% of the time. (NB - Adobe haven't updated the videos for Lightroom 5 as of this writing, but the lightroom 4 videos are fine for learning).

If you know Lightroom well and want a reference book, then you are probably confusing Lightroom with Photoshop. I have it on good authority that Lightroom is designed to be unreasonably simple and you don't need a reference book for it. What you might need is a concise book of common techniques (which this book isn't), and the Lightroom help pages for when you get stuck, but I have a feeling that Googling 'Julieanne Kost lightroom 5' will get you closer to what you want, and it is free and far quicker.

In conclusion, this is an old style 'Bible' reference for an application that doesn't need it. Evening's Photoshop books are much better (as Photoshop warrants Evening's style). Clearly, the Photoshop books sell well, so editorial have asked Martin to do a Lightroom book using the same winning formula, but I fear the needs of the reader have been lost somewhere: sorry Martin, it probably isn't even your fault.

Fair Disclosure: I am not Julieanne Kost nor Scott Kelby!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 April 2014
This book arrived quicker than expected. I think it will help me alot but it's quite complicated. Some basic items could have been introduced in a simpler way for those used to ordinary Elements programs until the program became more familiar. I expect to get
the hang of it eventually!
on 9 April 2014
Typical Evening, I have bought his books in the past and as usual if something isn't included you will never want to use it. More than 700 pages of complete Lightroom.
Of course there is the accompanying web site with lots of additional content as well.
on 24 August 2013
I'm a great fan of Martin Evening's books. My problem with this is that I bought the Kindle digital version, which is not that easy to navigate through, book mark or view. Having bought other Evening's books on Photoshop and Lightroom 4 as hard back books, I'm sure the actual hard back book is up to the usual excellent standard.
on 27 March 2014
As ever Martin Evening covers every base with yet another fantastic, easy to follow in depth book on the latest version of Lightroom
on 17 April 2015
Now this is graduate level stuff - thick and heavy tomb, if you have the strength to read it in bed, it can help you to get off to sleep.Very thorough stuff,should be a source of reference on the book shelf, kept for the day when your hard drive fills up, goes into melt down and the catalogue becomes as corrupt as our free market economy !