5.0 out of 5 stars The Final Installment
Alex, Tom, Chris and Wolf are all back for this last instalment of the Ashes Trilogy.

I don't want to give anything away to spoil the end of the story.

I loved the first two books and couldn't wait for the final installment. I wasn't disappointed as this was an adrenalin filled finish to this brilliant dystopian trilogy.
Published 6 months ago by pauld

2.0 out of 5 stars Too long in arriving...
Published 8 months ago by Shep

5.0 out of 5 stars The Final Installment, 13 Jan 2014
This review is from: Monsters: The Third and Final Book in the Ashes Trilogy (Kindle Edition)

I don't want to give anything away to spoil the end of the story.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too long in arriving..., 11 Nov 2013
I enjoyed the first 2 books in the trilogy having read them in quick succession but found myself at a loss with this one, wondering who was who and whether they were good, bad or something else entirely. I'm half way through this book now and may give up on it, which is a shame. The frequent 'action' scenes are numerous and becoming boring. I suppose this happens a lot when a sequel is so long in coming, particularly when there are so many characters and where the plot is so stretched. Still, a lesson for the future... wait and buy all books in one go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant ending, 9 May 2014
I have been waiting and waiting for this one, as I finished Shadows ages ago, and I completely forgot about this one coming out. So what a surprise to find it available and since September !!
So I quickly downloaded it onto my kindle and although I wanted to read it immediately, I read through from the start Ashes and Shadows again, as I wanted to make sure I remembered the stories and characters correctly.
I was not disappointed with this final book. I had loads of twists and turns, but I really enjoyed tying all the loose ends up and really getting to the bottom of each of the characters stories. I don't want to give the story away, but I enjoyed the ending and I particularly liked that there was an element of "what will happen next" but you weren't left with a feeling of disappointment. You can imagine that there could be a fourth book, without the NEED for one....so perhaps Isla J Bick will give us another story. But if she doesn't I am still happy with the ending as is....

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome must read trilogy!, 25 April 2014
Had me going a few times in this book when I thought things were going wrong but loved all the twists and turns

4.0 out of 5 stars Brave and ambitious end to an unnerving horror story, 11 April 2014
Dominique White (Madrid, Spain) - See all my reviews
"Monsters" is as terrifying as Conrad's "Heart of Darkness" and as gruesome as Mario Vargas Llosa's "The Dream of the Celt". Ms Blick's study of subjugation and enslavement, ambition and treachery, survival and its components is fascinating. The novel is fast-paced, sometimes confusing, often breakneck, full of characters, plots and unexpected getaways. The fact that there are benign baddies, noble monsters and flawed heroes makes it sound clichéd, when it is anything but. Days after finishing the trilogy, I find myself reflecting on its merits whilst sitting back and watching "Apocalypse Now".

4.0 out of 5 stars Bit of an anticlimax, 28 Mar 2014
I really loved the first part of the Ashes series and expected good things. The second book was ok but not as good as the first as is so often the case with trilogies. I expected so much from this one but the ending was predictable, still a great read but not as good as I had hoped.

4.0 out of 5 stars very good, 9 July 2014
Very good series, had me hooked wanting to know what happened next. It gets a bit sqeamish in places, too much gory detail, but really enjoyed the storyline and the characters

5.0 out of 5 stars Monsters, 28 Feb 2014
Absolutely fab book.
Couldn't put it down.
Would definitely recommend it although I didn't want it to end as I was enjoying it far too much

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing end to an OK series, 17 Oct 2013
A. M. Degerland (UK) - See all my reviews
I must say, after 2 previous books and the 800 pages of this one, I expected more.

Without handing out any spoilers, what I will say is that around 750 of the 800 pages mostly consists of our characters stumbling from one disaster to another. Unfortunately this isn't my idea of a plot. These never-ending and sometimes over described situations do very little in the way of developing the characters or the story, and while the action sometimes delivered the thrill of suspense, it also made the first 70% of the book feel like a filler before getting back to the heart of the story - which the author eventually seemed to lose track of altogether and I didn't know what story I was reading anymore or why.

I really enjoyed the first book of the series -not a favourite, but decent, and had mixed but mostly positive feelings about the second, so when the final instalment came out I was quite excited to see where the author would take and conclude the story...honestly, it was agonising. There was far too much of nothing, and the worst thing about it was after 800 pages I felt I knew the characters no better and had discovered nothing more about them then what I had learned by the end of the second book, their personalities were pretty much static throughout the entire book. The ending felt rushed and frankly, lazy - while I was grateful to the author for not doing some Twilight-esque love triangle that never ends - romantic or not, the ending could could have had been, and deserved to be, much more poignant. By the end, after reading about all of the characters flailing about in the snow for over 700 pages, I didn't much care about the ending or the characters anymore, I had completely lost the feel of them or any empathy I had for them, which is possibly what also happened to the author and why the ending felt so flat.

I'm actually quite sad about giving such a negative review, going by the first book alone, the story and the characters had so much potential (which is why this review is 2 stars not one). Unfortunately that never really manifested itself. In order to get closure on the story I think I'm going to have to daydream a better conclusion myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars an adrenalin filled finale to this amazing dystopian trilogy, 9 Oct 2013
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Egmont USA and Edelweiss.)
This is book 3 in the `Ashes' series, and picks up where book 2 `Shadows' left off.
**Warning - some unavoidable spoilers for books 1 and 2 `Ashes', and `Shadows'.**

Alex is stuck in the mine which has just exploded; time is running out if she wants to survive.
Tom blames himself for Alex's death, and vows to kill Chris if he ever meets him.
Chris is pinned beneath an iron spiked tiger trap and death is imminent.
Peter is Finn's prisoner and is faced with a choice to eat human flesh or die.
Will the monster in Alex's head finally kill her or will she drown in the mine? Will Tom kill Chris, or will he already be dead from the Tiger trap? What has happened to Lena? And will these kids ever meet up again?

This book was pure action right from the start. A riveting, adrenalin fuelled, crazy journey from start to finish.

Let's start by saying that this book itself is a monster, at over 800 pages it took me hours to get through, but thankfully it was hours well spent!

This book started out right where book 2 left off, and was literally life-or-death moment, after life-or-death moment, after life-or-death moment. The story alternated between Alex, Chris, Tom, Ellie, and Peter, so we were really living several stories, and each had their own problems in the chuckie-infested cesspit that was this dystopian America. Every time one disaster was averted, another was upon us, and this was one hell of a crazy ride!

I did feel that this high-adrenalin stuff petered out towards the middle of the book, but we were still left following the different characters, and hoping that somehow they would find their way back to each other. The body count kept on piling up, and things looked bleaker and bleaker, and yet more problems arose.
Funnily enough I wasn't expecting the paranormal storyline that arose in this book, as it seemed that someone had developed the ability to telepathically control some of the chuckies, which did seem a little out-of-place, but thankfully the high-octane stuff made up for this.

The ending of this story was fitting, and I liked how although not everything was wrapped up and tied with a bow, we were given hope that things would work out okay.
I do think that this has been an amazing trilogy, and a wonderful dystopian/zombie story, and I will definitely be reading this author's next book!
Overall; an adrenalin filled finale to this amazing dystopian trilogy.
8.75 out of 10.