5.0 out of 5 stars The Final Installment
Alex, Tom, Chris and Wolf are all back for this last instalment of the Ashes Trilogy.

I don't want to give anything away to spoil the end of the story.

I loved the first two books and couldn't wait for the final installment. I wasn't disappointed as this was an adrenalin filled finish to this brilliant dystopian trilogy.
Published 7 months ago by pauld

2.0 out of 5 stars Too long in arriving...
Published 9 months ago by Shep

5.0 out of 5 stars The Final Installment, 13 Jan 2014
This review is from: Monsters: The Third and Final Book in the Ashes Trilogy (Kindle Edition)

I don't want to give anything away to spoil the end of the story.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too long in arriving..., 11 Nov 2013
I enjoyed the first 2 books in the trilogy having read them in quick succession but found myself at a loss with this one, wondering who was who and whether they were good, bad or something else entirely. I'm half way through this book now and may give up on it, which is a shame. The frequent 'action' scenes are numerous and becoming boring. I suppose this happens a lot when a sequel is so long in coming, particularly when there are so many characters and where the plot is so stretched. Still, a lesson for the future... wait and buy all books in one go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant ending, 9 May 2014
I have been waiting and waiting for this one, as I finished Shadows ages ago, and I completely forgot about this one coming out. So what a surprise to find it available and since September !!
So I quickly downloaded it onto my kindle and although I wanted to read it immediately, I read through from the start Ashes and Shadows again, as I wanted to make sure I remembered the stories and characters correctly.
I was not disappointed with this final book. I had loads of twists and turns, but I really enjoyed tying all the loose ends up and really getting to the bottom of each of the characters stories. I don't want to give the story away, but I enjoyed the ending and I particularly liked that there was an element of "what will happen next" but you weren't left with a feeling of disappointment. You can imagine that there could be a fourth book, without the NEED for one....so perhaps Isla J Bick will give us another story. But if she doesn't I am still happy with the ending as is....

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome must read trilogy!, 25 April 2014
Had me going a few times in this book when I thought things were going wrong but loved all the twists and turns

4.0 out of 5 stars Brave and ambitious end to an unnerving horror story, 11 April 2014
Dominique White (Madrid, Spain) - See all my reviews
"Monsters" is as terrifying as Conrad's "Heart of Darkness" and as gruesome as Mario Vargas Llosa's "The Dream of the Celt". Ms Blick's study of subjugation and enslavement, ambition and treachery, survival and its components is fascinating. The novel is fast-paced, sometimes confusing, often breakneck, full of characters, plots and unexpected getaways. The fact that there are benign baddies, noble monsters and flawed heroes makes it sound clichéd, when it is anything but. Days after finishing the trilogy, I find myself reflecting on its merits whilst sitting back and watching "Apocalypse Now".

4.0 out of 5 stars Bit of an anticlimax, 28 Mar 2014
I really loved the first part of the Ashes series and expected good things. The second book was ok but not as good as the first as is so often the case with trilogies. I expected so much from this one but the ending was predictable, still a great read but not as good as I had hoped.

4.0 out of 5 stars very good, 9 July 2014
Liz (Blackpool) - See all my reviews
Very good series, had me hooked wanting to know what happened next. It gets a bit sqeamish in places, too much gory detail, but really enjoyed the storyline and the characters

5.0 out of 5 stars Monsters, 28 Feb 2014
Absolutely fab book.
Couldn't put it down.
Would definitely recommend it although I didn't want it to end as I was enjoying it far too much

5.0 out of 5 stars love this trilogy!, 23 July 2014
i think the title saids it all but as this requires more words ill say that Bick has no limit to her use of twists.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing end to an OK series, 17 Oct 2013
A. M. Degerland (UK) - See all my reviews
I must say, after 2 previous books and the 800 pages of this one, I expected more.

Without handing out any spoilers, what I will say is that around 750 of the 800 pages mostly consists of our characters stumbling from one disaster to another. Unfortunately this isn't my idea of a plot. These never-ending and sometimes over described situations do very little in the way of developing the characters or the story, and while the action sometimes delivered the thrill of suspense, it also made the first 70% of the book feel like a filler before getting back to the heart of the story - which the author eventually seemed to lose track of altogether and I didn't know what story I was reading anymore or why.

I really enjoyed the first book of the series -not a favourite, but decent, and had mixed but mostly positive feelings about the second, so when the final instalment came out I was quite excited to see where the author would take and conclude the story...honestly, it was agonising. There was far too much of nothing, and the worst thing about it was after 800 pages I felt I knew the characters no better and had discovered nothing more about them then what I had learned by the end of the second book, their personalities were pretty much static throughout the entire book. The ending felt rushed and frankly, lazy - while I was grateful to the author for not doing some Twilight-esque love triangle that never ends - romantic or not, the ending could could have had been, and deserved to be, much more poignant. By the end, after reading about all of the characters flailing about in the snow for over 700 pages, I didn't much care about the ending or the characters anymore, I had completely lost the feel of them or any empathy I had for them, which is possibly what also happened to the author and why the ending felt so flat.

I'm actually quite sad about giving such a negative review, going by the first book alone, the story and the characters had so much potential (which is why this review is 2 stars not one). Unfortunately that never really manifested itself. In order to get closure on the story I think I'm going to have to daydream a better conclusion myself.