5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for commuting
Published 11 months ago by Mark

1.0 out of 5 stars Light is good and bright
Light is good and bright, helps a lot getting noticed on the road.For off road you need one with more lumens.It is ok for my comute to work and back.However the moutnt let's it down big time.It fell of my bike while riding.did not break but is all scraped.Unless you push it hard into the slot and apply quite a preassure to hear clicking sound it is not securely...
Published 1 month ago by Mark

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for commuting, 21 Dec 2013
Mark (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
I've been using this for 3 weeks now, on an 8 mile commute from suburban to central Manchester in December, and overall I'm extremely satisfied. The hyperconstant mode is perfect for use in traffic on lit roads. Full beam is just about adequate for occasional use on unlit roads and tracks; if I had to use these more frequently I'd probably want something a bit brighter to pick out the potholes, but this might just be because I have poor night vision. Both the light and the mount seem very sturdy, and the battery lasts far longer than specified (although maybe that's just because its new).

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent commuter light, 8 Dec 2013
Very glad I bought this light, I did a lot of research prior to buying it and happy I went for this. I've had it for a couple of months now.
I'm a year round commuter doing 18 miles a day and 60 miles on a weekend with a club, on a road bike.
The full beam is perfect for unlit roads and the hyperconstant great for traffic.
I charge it once or twice a month.
Seems fully waterproof, riden in heavy rain a few times with no issue.
The mounting system works well and is easy to fit and use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent commuter light but buy the kit, 25 Jan 2014
T. Kerby (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cateye Volt 300 El-460 Front - 300 Lmn Usb Rc (Misc.)
These lights are a fantastic piece of kit. Replacing a 4 year old Cateye LED Opticube light the power difference is incredible and having USB recharge and long battery life are a definite plus. The narrow profile doesn't take much handlebar space and the main beam pattern is almost square so the light can be set to avoid dazzling oncoming drivers and cyclists. It's very well constructed with a metal case, good sealing on the USB port and a screw in battery. The shape is also suited to taking it off the bike and using it as a torch.

Generally, I use this on hyper constant mode which works both for lit city streets at night and as a daytime 'running light' making you more noticeable in the same way modern cars have additional LED lighting. Its a constant low beam (which is still brighter than my last light) which regularly pulses to high power. This gives you enough light to see and be seen from a considerable distance away. The only minor complaint would be that there is very little side lighting even with the cutouts so I also use a Moon Comet light which has 180 degree visibility but doesn't light the road as much. I've taken this on a few unlit trails which is good for getting home on reasonable paths and if supplemented by a helmet light works well even off road.

I'd suggest the kit with the additional battery and USB charger is better value though as its cheaper than buying these later. The USB charger charges quicker and having a spare battery is handy for longer rides particularly off road. The rear red version is also excellent and as it uses less power gives a longer life if you switch front and back batteries mid ride.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... in time for the winter as I wanted a good quality light that made me visible to dozy road ..., 12 Oct 2014
This review is from: Cateye Volt 300 El-460 Front - 300 Lmn Usb Rc (Misc.)
I bought this in time for the winter as I wanted a good quality light that made me visible to dozy road users when the nights draw in.
This is a well made light which is bright enough to illuminate the road ahead as well as making you visible to other users. It's well made and is secured using the excellent Cateye mount.The light is quite light for the power so you can unclip it and put in your pocket if you want to keep it safe when leaving the bicycle.
Charging is via micro usb so easy to do at work from my PC.
Overall can't think of a better front light for commuting and well priced as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good light. powerful, 7 Mar 2014
This review is from: Cateye Volt 300 El-460 Front - 300 Lmn Usb Rc (Misc.)
This is a really good light, and I purchased it for the long dark stretch of my daily commute to work. It lights the path well and Im really impressed. The only down side to this is the button to go through the different light modes, too save on battery I change to the flashing mode when on normal well lit roads, but this can be quite hard with full finger winter gloves on. Saying that I wouldnt let it put you off. Good, powerful light, feels robust and a name you can trust

5.0 out of 5 stars cateye Volt 300 Light., 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: Cateye Volt 300 El-460 Front - 300 Lmn Usb Rc (Misc.)
Value for money, and bright enough for riding along Unlit lanes and trails; even on the second highest setting. Easy to use and easy to mount on your handlebars. I like it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 25 Oct 2014
This review is from: Cateye Volt 300 El-460 Front - 300 Lmn Usb Rc (Misc.)
Top quality - solidly made & the battery lasts ages - when it's running low the on-off button glows red, but even then you have plenty of time & can save energy with the lower (but still more than adequate) brightness setting. Have dropped it a couple of times, and it survived. A good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cateye volt 300, 27 Dec 2013
This review is from: Cateye Volt 300 El-460 Front - 300 Lmn Usb Rc (Misc.)
Until recently, a light of this power would set you back over £100. At rep of £49, this represents good value. At 300 lumens with a good beam spread, this is a usable light for unlighted roads, depending on your speed. The unit is only 120g but is solid and very well made. The mounting bracket is easy to fit and the mini USB charging socket is comparable with my smart phone charger.
The battery life of only 3 hours is not brilliant but you can get 11 hrs on flashing mode.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Light, 22 Feb 2014
Rushman1uk (Newcastle Upon Tyne, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cateye Volt 300 El-460 Front - 300 Lmn Usb Rc (Misc.)
A fantastic light. I have two of these now, great brightness so your seen on the road. I use the constant bean with the bright intemittent flash. I recommend this light 100%

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 22 Oct 2014
This review is from: Cateye Volt 300 El-460 Front - 300 Lmn Usb Rc (Misc.)
I've had various lights over many many years of cycling and now have a volt 300. Wow! What an evolution since the old days. It feels like real quality. I use it for night road riding on B roads and lanes, and it's brilliant! I'm dipping it from the most powerful beam so as not to dazzle car drivers coming the other way. For me on my mountain bike it's brilliant and I'd recommend it to anyone.

CATEYE Volt 300 Cycle Light