Package Type: Frustration-Free Packaging|Change
Price:£12.98 - £16.95

First impressions aren't good... The filter arrives in a padded envelope, inside which there is a flattened plain white box featuring a Celestron label, containing a ziploc plastic bag with the filter within. The delivery note advises that this is "eco packaging", and to be fair the filter itself is undamaged.

Your money buys you a small plastic disc, an opaque core surrounded by a black border with the word "moon" on one side. The rear of the disc has screw threads, and what you have to do (the filter comes with no instructions) is simple: 1) screw it into the bottom of your chosen eyepiece for your telescope, 2) put the eyepiece into the focus tube, 3) look through it.

So does it work? Without the filter if I look at the Moon through my Celestron Astromaster 130EQ using the standard eyepiece the Moon appears rather too brightly to identify features, and after a few seconds I feel the need to look away, as though I've been looking at a light. With the filter the difference is incredible, the contrast improved and the light dimmed comfortably, and I can now see the rims of craters on the Moon, plus if I look at Jupiter I can just about make out cloud systems on the surface if I focus carefully.

For such a small, cheap, flimsy-looking thing it makes an incredible difference. An essential item for the budding astronomer.
on 8 January 2011
I bought this as a present for my niece, along with an entry level telescope.
She says that looking at the Moon without the filter is too bright, but with
the filter it it looks fantastic, and every detail can be made out and apprciated.
on 7 April 2009
I never look at the moon without using a moon filter, it's just too bright otherwise and I find it hurts your eyes, especially when there's a full moon and it is exceptionally bright. More detail can be seen using this filter as it takes away that dazzling brightness that hinders observation.

If you haven't got a moon filter already you should look at investing in one as they aren't particularly expensive (in comparison to most other astronomy accessories!).
22 comments|69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 February 2013
This is a good filter for its price. You're not paying that much, and it does reduce the brightness of objects, whilst also improving contrast. It also fits in well to my Celestron 1.25" lens. As a beginner, i didn't want something too expense as i didn't know if i would needed. I would HIGHLY recommend buying a filter, the glare of the moon (the first thing most beginners will look for as it's easy to spot) is far too bright to be able to look at for long periods of time. However if you are a beginner and want a cheap filter i'd get this one instead "Light Blue 1.25" Telescope Filter - (73% transmission)" Type it into amazon and it'll come up. Not only does this fit my lens equally as well, but it's got a wider aperture and better transition. Not only this but it is better for looking at other objects such as the planets and doesn't give an unpleasant green tinge, but instead a more subtle pale blue tinge. Plus it's only a few extra pounds which are well worth paying. If you're serious about astronomy, and have spent in excess of £500 on a telescope, i'd say don't cheap out on a filter, it's worth paying the extra as there's no point spending all that money on a brilliant telescope to have the image ruined by a poor filter.
on 10 July 2009
The moon filter is a small attachment as you will imagin being made to fit a 1" + 1/4" lens. I am a compleat beginer so didn't know the filter screwed on to the bottom of the lens that being the shiny bit that goes into the telescope. So for a while it was sitting on top of the lens falling onto the floor every time I touched the eye piece, in the dark and behind the flower pot, I always managed to find it gave me new confidence in my night vision. I explained this to my seller he said what to do but I still didn't get it, till an experienced astronomer at the astro club had to show me, and assured me that it wouldn't fall into the telescope, and thats how you fit the other filters. Celestron Moon Filter Mine is, and I can recomend the £3.99 one and it is good.
1010 comments|60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 February 2015
Should've read the other one star reviews before ordering this. The filter is completely plastic, including the very poorly formed threads on my one, making it impossible for me to fit it properly to my eyepieces. £10 for something that looks as though it couldn't have cost more than 10p to make - rip off!
on 25 January 2013
I am a complete novice to astronomy and bought this item to go with a recently purchased Celestron 114EQ telescope. It does exactly what it is intended for.
on 22 March 2014
Bought it as it was 'recommended' for the Travel Scope 70. But it does not fit - there is no thread on the eye piece.
on 17 February 2015
Exactly as described and arrived quickly. We've had some excellent views of the moon recently which would be painfully bright without the filter. I was a bit worried after some reviews indicated that it wouldn't fit the Travel Scope 70 but I can confirm it fits the eyepieces perfectly as long as you put it in the right end!
on 4 April 2015
The item description says
"...All eyepiece filters are threaded to fit Celestron's, and most other manufacturer's, 1¼" eyepieces. They offer a full 26mm clear aperture. Celestron filters are mounted in black anodized aluminum cells with the Kodak Wratten Series Number individually engraved. They also come with a plastic case for safe storage. The cells of each filter are double-threaded,..."

Most other manufacturers does not include Seben, the filter was mounted in plastic not aluminium, there were no Wratten Numbers, there was no plastic case and the filter is not double threaded.