4.0 out of 5 stars Probably Canon's best DSLR to date
But with some caution in reference to stills shooters, whilst this is a step up from the 60d in a good number of ways, I think it's really most appealing to people who have a fairly serious interest in video.

Published 9 months ago by Mr Baz

2.0 out of 5 stars not what I expected
After only three weeks it developed a fault on the TV setting by changing the shutter speed on it's own during exposure. I have owned many canon cameras and this one does not inspire confidence in it. At the moment it is away being repaired. Canon say that they have never known of this fault before. The results so far seem only as good as other Canon cameras. I am...
Published 4 months ago by Eddie.pix

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably Canon's best DSLR to date, 20 Oct 2013
Mr Baz - See all my reviews
(#1 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Canon EOS 70D Body Only Camera - Black (20.2MP) 3.0 inch LCD (Camera)

I'm by no means a pro level video shooter, but was quite impressed with how Canon have implemented the much talked about phase detect AF off the "sensor". I've used the 7d and 60d bodies on and off for a few years, and the 70d is one of the better Canon offerings for some time.

My pros and cons list

Pros:
+ Happy with the build quality, no it's not magnesium alloy, but good quality plastics and a strong solid feel
+ On sensor phase detect works really well, it's not "as fast" as using the optical finder but it's heaps faster than the very slow off sensor contrast AF on previous Canon DSLR's. It's quite capable of tracking movements well
+ Buffer is quite decent for this class of camera. I got about 14-15 shots in raw with a SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s card. Jpeg buffer is really decent too I counted over 35 shots if not a bit more with no signs of slowing
+ Touch screen works well and swivel LCD is handy for stills and video
+ Smooth autofocus with the touch screen (touch to target AF) on video this is a big step forward for serious video shooters
+ 7fps is really quite fast for action shooting and more than enough for most, not quite 8fps Canon 7d but a good improvement on the 5.3fps of the 60d
+ The 70d now has the 7d's 19 point all cross type AF system another nice jump up over the 60d
+ AF adjustments! Finally Canon came to their senses and restored this function sorely missed on the 60d
+ AF performance is very good, speed is fast (easily faster than the D7100 and older 60d) and accuracy is similar to the 7d
+ Now has wifi which allows you to control the camera remotely via iphone/android phone etc
+ Quite happy with the metering Canon's 63 zone system it's mostly on target and consistent
+ Very good battery life around 900 shots with optical finder
+ Mode dial, minor point but they put the scene modes into one area (SCN) position which is much better than before on the 60d with scene modes taking half the dial space
+ Stereo mic v Mono mic on 60d
+ I like the new AF expansion mode button just behind the shutter release, good placement
+ Really well specified camera in most ways excellent customisation, good higher spec 1/8000 sec shutter, 1/250 sec flash sync, crackingly good crisp/ clear swivel rear LCD. You really want for very little on this body it's not quite fully loaded but not far off.

Cons:
- Viewfinder is a bit larger than the 60d's (very slightly) but still not 100% or quite as big/bright as the 7d's
- In terms of pure image quality you get a few extra megapixels but I don't feel there is much improvement in either high ISO performance or dynamic range v the 18mp CMOS sensor from Canon
- Still only one card slot. I've never had problems with lost images but I have to admit dual cards can be very useful
- Level gauge is good, but just single axis not pitch (front/back angle)
- Live view/video drains battery much quicker than normal finder, not a shock here but if you are doing video/live view a lot carry extra batteries (2 or 3)
- Rear dial is even smaller than the 60d when I'd prefer it to be a bit bigger
- On-board microphone whilst it's now stereo is still pretty poor like most built in mics it has poor tonal range and frequency response. Get an external mic for serious video work
- I did notice some moiré on a few video clips
- Strangely there is no white balance button on the camera. Auto WB performance isn't bad, but it's not amazing either (esp lower light or mixed light sources)
- No dedicated AF assist lamp, I think it's time Canon started offering this on some models
- Yet another battery grip: BG-E14 would have been useful if the 60d's grip fitted this but it won't
- No headphone socket, might annoy video users

I'll split this into 2 camps having spent a good week or so shooting with the camera.

Stills shooters with a strong interest in Video (or primary video shooters):
Get it, the new phase detect off the sensor is very good and will change how you make videos. Touch to focus screen is also very smooth and accurate making filmic scenes for video much easier. This wasn't really possible before, and with the 18-135mm STM focus is quick and effectively silent (lens is quite sharp overall too) Yes it is a revolution for video shooters and a huge upgrade over any previous DSLR's out there for AF.

Stills shooters who don't shoot much video:
If you've a Canon 60d it might be worth a look with some nice upgrades such as faster fps, touch screen, AF micro adjustments, but I'd be tempted to wait for the price to drop.
7d users will like the 70d's performance, but the buffer whilst good isn't as big as the 7d's, nor is the build as meaty due to plastics v mag alloy on the 7d the 70d just isn't as pro like build wise. I can't see many 7d users replacing that body with this (good as a second body though)

If you are thinking about a mid range DSLR then it's this v the D7100. Tricky choice as the Nikon has lots of AF points, dual cards, and better build and a few more features. On the other hand the really small buffer on the D7100 is a real disappointment (way smaller than the 70d's), so I'd recommend the 70d over that model for action/wildlife shooters.

Overall I really like the camera, some niggles as there always is. But it depends a lot on what you do.
Video people, this is it, essential purchase
Stills shooters, well it's a very solid camera and a decent update over previous models, but you gain very little if anything in terms of pure image quality over older models, it's a great buy if you need the new "improved" bits, but don't buy this expecting a revolution in image quality. You might be better to sit it out for a while for a better price. Or pick up a 60d or 7d for a bargain price...or possibly move up to the 6d if full frame appeals.

Update 12/04/14:
I've been using the 70d frequently for a good few months now. To date I have no major concerns at all. I did read some an online review comparing the normal phase detect AF to the sensor phase detect showing a big difference in AF accuracy (far more than I would expect to see on any camera, possibly a bad body). I have tested and used quite a few lenses with my 70d and have found that very few require any AF fine tuning, and those that do only very small adjustments. Even faster primes such as the 50mm f1.4, 85mm f1.8 seem spot on for autofocus most of the time.

Like any DSLR no AF system is perfect, but to date it's hard to tell any real world differences between the 70d and the 7d (they use the same AF system)
Minor niggles, I do like the 7d joystick - but it's not a huge downer to not have it. I would prefer a slightly bigger firmer rear dial, but again I'm splitting hairs a bit.

It's still in my view the most rounded Canon DSLR to date, esp for video use (and I've been experimenting more with video as the sensor AF is very good) But also for stills live view where the previous Canon's were pretty slow (really not ideal for anything bar static subjects), the fast phase detect AF is a real and valuable step forward for the EOS system.

Lens choices are huge with Canon, I would suggest as a general purpose lens the 18-135mm STM is a very good offering (and not a bad price) the STM motor is silent for video use a very worthwhile lens. The 15-85mm is a good lens offering a true wide angle on the 1.6x crop sensor (24-136 mm equivalent) it's much better than the 17-85mm it replaced, other lenses worth a look 50mm f1.8 or f1.5, the 85mm's are great for portrait work. Budget glass both Tamron and Sigma have some good offerings too.

Still very pleased, I will update the review further if any issues/concerns/thoughts come to light

5.0 out of 5 stars Best EOS all rounder, 29 Jan 2014
A. Camilleri - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Being an avid Canon EOS fan, I was so excited when this camera was announced.

Most of the very helpful reviewers here on Amazon go in great detail, so I will leave this review short. The specifications can seen on many websites, so its useless to copy and paste!!
Yet I will try to highlight certain key points.

This camera is a first in offering true and effective video implementation (with unparalleled autofocus on dSLR cameras). Modifications to the body will appeal to videographers. The 70D takes the good of EOS series cameras and introduces a new awesome sensor. I have tested the camera for a few days and there are many things I like about it. Image quality is nearly on par with the best EOS offering. The articulated touchscreen is responsive, yet awkward to use whilst taking videos due to camera weight. As for stills, the fast and responsive touchscreen is a joy to use!! Once I got used to navigating the intuitive touchscreen, I really wished I had it on my 7D.

I was expecting more from the Digic 5 processor, yet I realise that the 7D has dual Digic4 processors. The new sensor on the 70D is revolutionary, as every pixel is divided in two, offering phase detection in live view (during video). Phase detection is so much more reliable and much faster than contrast detection (which tends to hunt). In the few days of ownership I really enjoyed the experience. I am comparing it to the 7D which is a bit unfair, yet I do not own (and never used) the 60D. So some of the pros listed below are in relation to the 7D.

Pros:
✓ Outstanding image quality
✓ Revolutionary Dual pixel CMOS AF sensor (80% of which are in use for phase detection)
✓ Ingenious implementation of phase detection
✓ Articulated touch screen, especially useful for video. (However I personally prefer the more professional looking traditional fixed screen)
✓ Outstanding bokeh effect, thanks to the large APS-C sensor. Same sensor as on the 7D
✓ EF & EF-S lens compatibility
✓ WiFi (Can be controlled remotely by app on phone)
✓ Uses SD cards rather than the more expensive CF cards (used on 7D)

Cons:
- No audio monitoring during video!! I give a lot of weight to this missing feature
- Build quality not as good as 7D which sports a magnesium body
- 98% viewfinder coverage

Considerations:
One needs to consider buying STM lenses, which are specifically optimised for video. Apart from the super silent motors, the front barrel does not rotate making it ideal for polariser filters.

------------------

If you are looking for your first EOS camera than this will fit your needs, no doubt. It takes pictures which are arguably as good as the best EOS camera. The crop factor is great for that extra zoom reach, and its centre pixel density is higher than the EOS MKIII, thus capturing more detail most noticeable at the centre of the frame. (MKIII is full frame so has less pixel density).

If I had to chose between the 60D and 70D I'd obviously go for the latter. Yet I would not pick the 70D over the 7D. I love the 7D's solid construction and the professional photography oriented weatherproof magnesium body. And for fairness sake the 70D is not meant to replace the best selling 7D, which has regained it's appeal after the firmware upgrade (Ver.2) a couple of months ago.

As on 11th April 2014, no other DSLR comes close to the EOS70D as far as video capabilities go. You would probably need to dish out well over twice the amount on a professional video camera to get the equivalent video quality of the EOS 70D.

Highly recommended to videographers seeking best possible image quality at a great price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Canon enthusiast camera for a long while, 29 Oct 2013
Gary White "gwhitegeog" (Fulham, London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I bought the 70D predominantly as a 'cycling and walking camera'. I sold my 600D which was a nice camera but had some limitations that I found annoying - a bit plasticky and the ISO could only be changed in full stop increments for example. The 70D was bought for its exposure and metering versatility, the articulated screen which can fold back to protect the surface (e.g. when pushed into a rucksack), wireless flash bult in, and viewfinder grid. Many of the features I love on the 7D but just a bit lighter and compacter. There are always rumours about what is coming but I have had the 7D for nearly 4 years and am still very happy with it - pretty amazing in the digital era. I have been getting my 70D kit up and running and hope to do a full review within the next 7 days. I bought a Canon 55-250m EF-S II cheapie as a long-reach travel lens (just £109 - I know the mark 3 is coming out) and a third-party, non-Canon 70D grip which is amazing quality at less than a quarter of the Canon price. I have been using my favourite 15-85 EF-S and also the 17-55 f2.8 EF-S and EF-S 60mm macro. I have been initially very impressed with the 70D and it is a genuine step forward rather than a facelift / marketing re-hash of an earlier model. Handling is tight and quick, focussing and viewfinder not only 7D-like but an improvement. With the 600EX-RT speedlite, exposures have been excellent, though I havent tried the pop-up flash yet except for some outdoor fill-flash. Finally, I know there are comments about (it being) a polycarbonate body rather than MgAl but build quality to me seems excellent. More to follow..... Gary

Jan 13 update: EOS 70D enhanced review
This review update is now based on 3 months use of the 70D. I used the following lenses and accessories with the camera: Canon 600EXC-RT speedlite, Canon EF-S 15-85 f3.5 to f5.6, Canon EF-S 55-250 F3.5 to f5.6 Mk2, EF-S 60mm F2.8 macro, Sigma 10-20 EX DC f3.5 to 5.6, SanDisk ExtPro 32GB SDHC card, class 10 (95mb/s).
As I suggested earlier, this is probably the best mid-range `prosumer' camera that Canon have produced in the APS-C sensor format and is a snip ahead of the 7D - which is still current and well over 4 years old of course, so still doing very well - and represents an excellent, robust, value for money package. It reminds me in many ways of the 7D - but with a slightly fresher set of features and it is slightly lighter and not as wide or high.
In summary, the pros and cons are as follows:
Strengths
* Well made, compact, sturdy package, ideal for travel and reportage and as a back-up pro camera; weatherproofed body
* Image quality very good (but see below), 20mp is a good compromise between file size and resolution
* Excellent handling, controls fall easily to hand, familiar to Canon user
* Excellent flash system, enhanced ETTL2
* Used SD cards and LP-E6 batteries
* Controls fall easily to hand, great for travel, cycling, walking. Foldable screen means that LCD screen can be protected from damage (e.g. whilst inside a rucksack or pannier)
* SET button, with concentric multi-controller ring and rear control wheel (carried over from the 2012 EOS 6D), work very well, but might be a struggle with large or gloved or cold hands.
* Excellent metering and focussing
* Silent shooting mode a real advantage. Very quiet operation (even in non-silent mode) - the shutter release is significantly quieter than the 60D's or full frame Canons.
* Very good ISO range - 100 to 12800 (H1 boost to 25600) and low light functionality
* Bright, well-designed viewfinder, excellent grid overlay and viewfinder level option from 7D (actually improved over this)
* Good range of custom functions and customisable buttons, latest menu system with same multi-controller wheel set-up as on 6D.
* Well design articulated LCD screen with touch sensitivity (like 60D)
* Built in wireless flash option
* Well-designed top plate, large mode selector dial with lock button
* On chip phase detection system makes video / live view focussing the best yet
* Commendable battery life. Same LP-E6 battery as most EOS cameras above the 600-series. The first charge with the new battery gave me realistically about 400 exposures before I recharged it. However, this involved the usual experimentation one does with a new camera, so I would expect real world use to give at least 600 shots or more
* Shutter speed of 7 fps is good enough for me. As a travel photographer, probably 99.5% of the all the images I have ever taken have been `single shot'
Weaknesses
* Image quality of a high standard and dynamic range better than many previous Canon APS-C cameras but DR could be improved re; Nikon rivals
* Focussing not as versatile or customisable as 7D
* Not a 100% field of view viewfinder unlike the 7D (a criticism of most EOS cameras from me)
* No built-in viewfinder rear shutter (ditto)
* Pointless SCENE, Green Square A+ , `night' and CA settings on top dial. Better to have C2/3 (in addition to C1) or another customisable position. I have never accepted the idea that anyone `trading up' to a better camera needs these settings: at ca. £1000 this camera body is beyond the price range of most `dabblers'
* Lost opportunity to place a true customisable Mf-n button on top of grip (like 7D) - the control in this position is fixed to focussing pattern control on 70D
* Same criticism as for 6D - parsimonious My Menu customising - why just 6 options - with all the RAM this camera has, I can't believe this couldn't easily be 12 or more
* Printed user manual supplied is a short version - the full manual is only found on the CD or as a PDf download from the Net. This is common with Canon now and a trend I hate
Most controls are positioned where we would expect of a modern EOS. The Top Dial has the useful centre lock button and the On / Off switch is now in its usual position below this. There is a good balance of features on the top plate - somewhere between a 7D and a 5D mk3 top plate. It has the larger type LCD, with the usual array of buttons in front of the LCD - AF, Drive, ISO, Metering and panel Illumination. The DOF preview button is now in a much more useful place to the right hand side of the lens throat. The top right hand side of the rear panel has three buttons - all customisable - which will be familiar - AF-On, Metering Lock and AF Points. Below this there are significant changes from the 60d (etc) that came in with the EOS 6D last year. There is the concentric SET, Multi Controller and Rear Dial set up - which actually works very well. This has the associated Lock switch (which, usefully, is customisable) and below the Rear Dial is the Delete (`dustbin') button. Above it are the Play and Magnify buttons and the usual Live View / Video controller button. To the top left of the rear LCD panel is the standard MENU and INFO buttons. I am not a great user of video but it seems to produce fine image quality and I am sure it customisable enough for the enthusiast.
So, all pretty-much standard stuff on a modern EOS and should be intuitive for any Canon user - you'll be able to use it `straight-from-the-box' - certainly for basic usage.
Focussing
The focussing is pretty commendable. It has all the usual focussing `tweakability' of all mid- to high-end EOS cameras these days. Via the C.FnII, you have the option to adjust Tracking Sensitivity, Accel / Decel tracking, AI Servo Priority, AF Assist Beam, AF Microadjust, etc. However, for me the issue is how well does the camera work in real-world situations? I would say the focussing functionality is significantly better than the 5Dmk2 and 6D and probably not quite up there with the 7D or 5Dmk3. For me, that's very good. Not really being a photographer who takes many photographs of moving subjects, I haven't truly used all the focussing abilities of the 7D over the last three years anyway. Probably, if I wanted a `cheaper' EOS for sports or action, I'd go for the 70D regardless (something Canon seemed to have cottoned on to as their 4 year-old EOS 7D camera has been given a new lease of life by `Firmware 2.0' and a big advertising push - one suspects that sports and wildlife photographers actually liked the 1.3 magnification factor of the 1D mk3/4 and there's now a gap as the 1Dx is full frame with no magnification advantages for long lenses).
Metering and Exposure
The camera has no problems in this department. Many earlier EOS DSLRs up to the 5D mk2 struggled with the older matrix / evaluative metering. I found that they consistently overexposed in UK conditions and I used spot / partial metering or used Manual more often than not. Blown highlights and featureless, white skies were a problem on overcast days. Since the introduction of the iFCL metering around the time the 7D was launched (I think it might have been with the 1Dm4), things have improved greatly and the 70D is no exception. I found I could use Aperture Priority metering with few problems. I also found the same with the budget 600D in the UK - I have now sold this as the 70D has effectively replaced this. Exposure is now more `Nikon-like' with fewer clipped highlights and better shadow detail - also likely to be a benefit of the dynamic range of the chip. Viewfinder perspective and information readout are commendable. But I still feel Canon have work to do on the dynamic range of their APS-C sized chips.
Flash
In a word - superb. The best I have found on a Canon DSLR so far, especially with the 600EX-RT speedlite (see separate review). The new ETTL2 + algorithms used in flash calculations seem to have finally allowed Canon flash system to catch up with Nikon
Real world use with typical lenses
Any Canon EF lens made over the last 26 years (or non-Canon EF equivalent) will fit this camera. The Canon EF-S range is optimised for this camera. Most of my first 3 months of shots with the camera were taken with my excellent, workhorse EF-S 15-85 f3.5 to 5.6 which is the premium, latest version of this 24-135 35mm equivalent standard zoom (comparable in quality to the EF 24-105L). I also used the compact, optically superb Canon EF-S 60mm f2.8 macro and the less optically distinguished EF-S 55-250 f3.5 to 5.6 mk 2 lightweight telephoto zoon (a kit lens, that sells at around £110) and the well regarded Sigma EX DC 10-20mm f3.5/5.6 HSM (their equivalent of the Canon EF-S 10-20mm).
The 15-85 and the 70D make a great lightweight travel set. They work well together giving sharp images across the range and punchy colours. Optical aberrations are well controlled and flatness of field relatively good for such a lens. My only criticism of this lens is that it doesn't have a lens lock so the zoom ring tends to drift when carried or stowed in a camera bag.
Conclusion
This is the best prosumer `mid-range' Canon DSLR yet. It rivals the 7D and gives the 6D / 5D mk3 a serious run for its money if you don't want full frame. Great image quality and a very robust, ergonomic package make this camera a fine buy. It can be firmly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted, 25 July 2014
I am truly delighted with the Canon 70D which I recently received. When fitted with the awesome Canon 24-105mm Zoom lens which I received last week, the results are amazing! Apart from the fact that this camera has inummerable features (it practically does everything except coffee!!) I mainly bought it for its wonderful swivelling LCD screen and its ability to take multiple exposures (I've never seen this feature in DSLR). Its ergonomic shape is a pleasure to hold and with this lens, the combined weight is very acceptable. There is nothing I can fault in this excellent design and it really makes you feel like a professional. I keep reading that everyone loves everything about the swivelling LCD screen and now its my turn to say the same!! To me, this screen is a great necessity as I do a lot of odd angled photography and this one is incredibly sharp too!! There is so much more I can say about this beauty but to keep it short and sweet, I'll just write this - Anyone out there who's in doubt about this camera or in two minds whether to buy this one or another choice, YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED WITH THE 70D!! JUST GET IT!! Nuff said!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Canon upgrade in years! Don't wait for a 7D II get this now., 2 Nov 2013
Mr. Dean Hewitt (Fleet) - See all my reviews
I've had a Canon 550D for about 3 years now, I belong to the local camera club and have learnt a decent amount about photography in that time. The 70D is a fabulous camera in every way. I have had it for about 3 weeks and finally adjusted the custom functions to my liking (such as back button continuous focussing, my menu settings, wifi functions etc). Its very customisable, so much so that you can customise the focus and exposure locks to be the other way round if you so wish.

I got mine with the 18-55mm kit lens as the body only was the same price. I must say that the new 18-55mm kit lens is a definite upgrade over the old canon kit lens from 3 years ago. The STM motor that it has may come in handy if I ever get into videography but for now I've swapped it over for the Canon 15-85 mm which has a lovely balance when paired with the 70D. A 70-200 mm feels good and even the 100-400 mm lens doesn't over balance it too much. The 70D is quite chunky in my hands but I have small hands and liked the 550D because it was so small.

I've not used the touch screed a massive amount yet but have had occasion to flip it our and take pictures from the ground. It was so nice not to have to lie on the floor. The responsiveness of the touch screen is great and the pinch to zoom is useful for checking focus etc.

WiFi took a bit of setting up and fiddling with. I've not got it setup to the home network yet but have paired it with both my iPad and iPhone. Note you cant do both at the same time. You essentially setup the camera as a wireless network and then find that network with your iPad or iPhone (before using the EOS app to connect). I now have two setups stored in the camera and just have to toggle between the two depending on whether I want to connect with the iPad or iPhone. Remote shooting is easy but the main advantage for me was direct download of photos to my iPad and then from there onto my home network and uploaded to the cloud. Reviewing photos on the iPad is much easier and choosing then downloading from the camera is simply one click.

As for the capability of the Camera? Compared to the 550D its leaps and bounds ahead. AF is much faster and tracking is really impressive. The most noticeable improvement is ISO capabilities. I would estimate that 1600 on the 550D is about the same as 6400 or even 12800 on the 70D when comparing noise. That's 2 or 3 stops better! The DIGIC 5 processor really is that good. How it compares to the 7D I do not know but I'm guessing its better.

My only disappointment is the silent shutter mode. Its one of the options as you scroll through the shutter options from single shot to multi then S for silent and S multi for continuous silent. Its clear there is some dampening effect of the mirror going on but silent it is not! I would say its 20% quieter than the loud click that the normal shutter makes. And continuous silent mode is rubbish as it takes the super fast 7fps down to 3fps at best. I really wanted the silent mode to work for wildlife photography but this will not be any good I can tell you right now.

I'm still giving it 5 stars but beware those of you who were really hoping for a silent shutter. This camera is not for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Turns snapshots into great shots, 25 July 2014
Simply Awesome. Finally bought this to replace my aged 400D. What a revelation. Where my 400D only came out when the lighting conditions were near perfect - when to be fair, it could still take a good photo - this camera just gets on and takes great photos every time. Still using my old USM lenses, it focusses very well, and live view works surprisingly well (useful to be able to interact with the kids rather than being hidden behind the camera). Whereas previously my Panasonic TZ30 was my camera of choice (instead of the canon 400D), that one now is the back up, and my new EOS 70D is my first choice camera (even though it's obviously much bigger with less of a zoom). Very happy, even got approval from the wife even though this was an unauthorised purchase...

5.0 out of 5 stars So far lives up to the "hype", 13 April 2014
I did wonder whether the reviews were hyping up this camera, but my experience of it so far is that it is living well up to the hype. It has been a joy to use, and I am going through the manual (also downloadable) with fine tooth comb, and discovering some very interesting features. The range of effects and quality of photographs are, to me, simply outstanding. What has been said about the efficiency of the autofocus is all true. Seeing is believing, but more pertinently, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Buy this camera, learn how to use its many, many features, and then make up your own mind, as I have made up mine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant camera, 4 Mar 2014
John I. Dixon (Ul) - See all my reviews
This camera has all the bells and whistle that I could wish for and more my only critisism is the driving instructions that come with it the small paper manual gives all the basics but due the the size and vast amount of information that is trying to be put across meeans that the font size is very small and difficult to read and the spine is not strong enough for the book to last vey long more informative but still does not seem to cover everything particularly well and the int(this is typical Canon) the software version is not much better. The software packages supplied might be very good but finding out how to make the best of it is dreadful certainly not intuative and it would not work on my windows XP although it claimed to and having look at he internet I'm not the only one to find this. This is a shame and lets down whaqt is an exceptional camer especiallyn the hand held night shot mode which so far has been brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best price-product relationship, 30 Mar 2014
To make it short, for this price you will get a full house of latest photography technology. It is quick, reliable and comfortable. Only thing that I miss is a good old magnesium housing, like it was on older version. But hard plastic is still ok. Only set back is your imagination. Canon did it again. It is a product that I would definitely recommend for advanced photography. It is not for people who are using camera always on Automatic mode. O, LCD panel is not so contrast, sometimes numbers are not clear. I really hope that this review will help you decide.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, 20 Mar 2014
I have a 30D and a 40D both of which will be going on eBay soon. They are both very good cameras but the 70D is a massive step up not only in mega pixels but design, processor, screen quality and flexibility. If I was to nit pick I would say I would of preferred the wheel at the back to be the same size as the 40D and the body is a little smaller I prefer the 40D body size. The menu system is well sorted and the touch screen works really well, the images are excellent but then I use either prime or L series lens which helps. This is early days with the camera but I see little to fault with is even the white balance is much improved as is the ISO. Like all my previous canons I have a G12 as well I tend to slightly under expose about 2/3 and that sorts it. The only thing I would of really liked would of been a dual slot for the memory but that said these things are made to a price and canon have done well with this. I would of given 4.5 stars if I had the option but 4 wouldn't have been fair. If you need a battery grip canon have one for about £170 I bought the NEEWER® Battery Grip Holder BG-E14 Replacement For Canon EOS 70D Camera Compatible with LP-E6 Batteries and saved £140. It fits well, works well and looks fine. It also has an adapter for standard of the shelve batteries. It really doesn't make sense spending the £170 for the canon item. Besides if Neewer can produce this for £30 why can't canon be more reasonable but if you want a grip as well give the Newer product a try its worth it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›