Style Name: 18-55 LensChange

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 20 October 2013
But with some caution in reference to stills shooters, whilst this is a step up from the 60d in a good number of ways, I think it's really most appealing to people who have a fairly serious interest in video.

I'm by no means a pro level video shooter, but was quite impressed with how Canon have implemented the much talked about phase detect AF off the "sensor". I've used the 7d and 60d bodies on and off for a few years, and the 70d is one of the better Canon offerings for some time.

My pros and cons list

Pros:
+ Happy with the build quality, no it's not magnesium alloy, but good quality plastics and a strong solid feel
+ On sensor phase detect works really well, it's not "as fast" as using the optical finder but it's heaps faster than the very slow off sensor contrast AF on previous Canon DSLR's. It's quite capable of tracking movements well
+ Buffer is quite decent for this class of camera. I got about 14-15 shots in raw with a SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s card. Jpeg buffer is really decent too I counted over 35 shots if not a bit more with no signs of slowing
+ Touch screen works well and swivel LCD is handy for stills and video
+ Smooth autofocus with the touch screen (touch to target AF) on video this is a big step forward for serious video shooters
+ 7fps is really quite fast for action shooting and more than enough for most, not quite 8fps Canon 7d but a good improvement on the 5.3fps of the 60d
+ The 70d now has the 7d's 19 point all cross type AF system another nice jump up over the 60d
+ AF adjustments! Finally Canon came to their senses and restored this function sorely missed on the 60d
+ AF performance is very good, speed is fast (easily faster than the D7100 and older 60d) and accuracy is similar to the 7d
+ Now has wifi which allows you to control the camera remotely via iphone/android phone etc
+ Quite happy with the metering Canon's 63 zone system it's mostly on target and consistent
+ Very good battery life around 900 shots with optical finder
+ Mode dial, minor point but they put the scene modes into one area (SCN) position which is much better than before on the 60d with scene modes taking half the dial space
+ Stereo mic v Mono mic on 60d
+ I like the new AF expansion mode button just behind the shutter release, good placement
+ Really well specified camera in most ways excellent customisation, good higher spec 1/8000 sec shutter, 1/250 sec flash sync, crackingly good crisp/ clear swivel rear LCD. You really want for very little on this body it's not quite fully loaded but not far off.

Cons:
- Viewfinder is a bit larger than the 60d's (very slightly) but still not 100% or quite as big/bright as the 7d's
- In terms of pure image quality you get a few extra megapixels but I don't feel there is much improvement in either high ISO performance or dynamic range v the 18mp CMOS sensor from Canon
- Still only one card slot. I've never had problems with lost images but I have to admit dual cards can be very useful
- Level gauge is good, but just single axis not pitch (front/back angle)
- Live view/video drains battery much quicker than normal finder, not a shock here but if you are doing video/live view a lot carry extra batteries (2 or 3)
- Rear dial is even smaller than the 60d when I'd prefer it to be a bit bigger
- On-board microphone whilst it's now stereo is still pretty poor like most built in mics it has poor tonal range and frequency response. Get an external mic for serious video work
- I did notice some moiré on a few video clips
- Strangely there is no white balance button on the camera. Auto WB performance isn't bad, but it's not amazing either (esp lower light or mixed light sources)
- No dedicated AF assist lamp, I think it's time Canon started offering this on some models
- Yet another battery grip: BG-E14 would have been useful if the 60d's grip fitted this but it won't
- No headphone socket, might annoy video users

I'll split this into 2 camps having spent a good week or so shooting with the camera.

Stills shooters with a strong interest in Video (or primary video shooters):
Get it, the new phase detect off the sensor is very good and will change how you make videos. Touch to focus screen is also very smooth and accurate making filmic scenes for video much easier. This wasn't really possible before, and with the 18-135mm STM focus is quick and effectively silent (lens is quite sharp overall too) Yes it is a revolution for video shooters and a huge upgrade over any previous DSLR's out there for AF.

Stills shooters who don't shoot much video:
If you've a Canon 60d it might be worth a look with some nice upgrades such as faster fps, touch screen, AF micro adjustments, but I'd be tempted to wait for the price to drop.
7d users will like the 70d's performance, but the buffer whilst good isn't as big as the 7d's, nor is the build as meaty due to plastics v mag alloy on the 7d the 70d just isn't as pro like build wise. I can't see many 7d users replacing that body with this (good as a second body though)

If you are thinking about a mid range DSLR then it's this v the D7100. Tricky choice as the Nikon has lots of AF points, dual cards, and better build and a few more features. On the other hand the really small buffer on the D7100 is a real disappointment (way smaller than the 70d's), so I'd recommend the 70d over that model for action/wildlife shooters.

Overall I really like the camera, some niggles as there always is. But it depends a lot on what you do.
Video people, this is it, essential purchase
Stills shooters, well it's a very solid camera and a decent update over previous models, but you gain very little if anything in terms of pure image quality over older models, it's a great buy if you need the new "improved" bits, but don't buy this expecting a revolution in image quality. You might be better to sit it out for a while for a better price. Or pick up a 60d or 7d for a bargain price...or possibly move up to the 6d if full frame appeals.

Update 12/04/14:
I've been using the 70d frequently for a good few months now. To date I have no major concerns at all. I did read some an online review comparing the normal phase detect AF to the sensor phase detect showing a big difference in AF accuracy (far more than I would expect to see on any camera, possibly a bad body). I have tested and used quite a few lenses with my 70d and have found that very few require any AF fine tuning, and those that do only very small adjustments. Even faster primes such as the 50mm f1.4, 85mm f1.8 seem spot on for autofocus most of the time.

Like any DSLR no AF system is perfect, but to date it's hard to tell any real world differences between the 70d and the 7d (they use the same AF system)
Minor niggles, I do like the 7d joystick - but it's not a huge downer to not have it. I would prefer a slightly bigger firmer rear dial, but again I'm splitting hairs a bit.

It's still in my view the most rounded Canon DSLR to date, esp for video use (and I've been experimenting more with video as the sensor AF is very good) But also for stills live view where the previous Canon's were pretty slow (really not ideal for anything bar static subjects), the fast phase detect AF is a real and valuable step forward for the EOS system.

Lens choices are huge with Canon, I would suggest as a general purpose lens the 18-135mm STM is a very good offering (and not a bad price) the STM motor is silent for video use a very worthwhile lens. The 15-85mm is a good lens offering a true wide angle on the 1.6x crop sensor (24-136 mm equivalent) it's much better than the 17-85mm it replaced, other lenses worth a look 50mm f1.8 or f1.5, the 85mm's are great for portrait work. Budget glass both Tamron and Sigma have some good offerings too.

Still very pleased, I will update the review further if any issues/concerns/thoughts come to light
1717 comments313 of 324 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Being an avid Canon EOS fan, I was so excited when this camera was announced.

Most of the very helpful reviewers here on Amazon go in great detail, so I will leave this review short. The specifications can be viewed on Canon's website anyway, so its useless to copy and paste!!
However I will try to highlight certain key points.

The Canon 70D is a first in offering true and effective video implementation (with unparalleled autofocus on DSLR cameras). Modifications to the body will appeal to videographers in particular. The 70D takes the good of EOS series cameras and introduces a new awesome sensor. What sets this sensor apart is the 19 point "dual pixel focus technology" which nails focusing.

I have tested the camera for a few days and there are many things I like about it. Image quality is nearly on par with the best EOS offering. The articulated capacitive touchscreen comes in so handy, (albeit some might find it awkward to use whilst shooting video due to the camera weight). However I have found it to be a blessing! It is fast, responsive and simply a joy to use!! The touch to focus works brilliantly as it makes transitioning from foreground to background look so professional. The same applies for stills. Once I got used to navigating the intuitive display, I really wished I had it on my 7D.

As already mentioned, the new sensor on the 70D is revolutionary: every pixel is divided in two, offering "phase detection" in live view (during video). This technology is much more reliable and faster than contrast detection (which occasionally tends to hunt before acquiring focus lock). In the few days of ownership I really enjoyed the experience. I am comparing it to the 7D which is a bit unfair, yet I do not own (and never used) the 60D. So some of the pros listed below are in relation to the 7D.

Pros:
- Outstanding image quality.
- Revolutionary Dual pixel CMOS AF sensor (80% of which are in use for phase detection)
- Articulated capacitive touch screen, especially useful for video.
- Outstanding bokeh effect, thanks to the large APS-C sensor. Same size sensor as on the 7D
- EF & EF-S lens compatibility
- WiFi (Can be controlled remotely by app on phone)
- Uses SD cards rather than the more expensive CF cards (used on 7D)
- Bundled with an 18-55 mm IS STM lens.

Cons:
- No headphone jack for audio monitoring during video
- Build quality not as good as 7D which sports a magnesium body
- 98% viewfinder coverage

Considerations:
- STM lenses are specifically optimised for video. Apart from the super silent motors, the front barrel does not rotate, making it ideal for polariser filters.
- Image stabilisation is not on par with new generation camcorders.
- This offering comes bundled with an 18-55 IS STM lens and thus is worth serious consideration. If you had to buy the separately you will pay more. The 18-55mm is a very good general purpose lens. One has to factor in the crop sensor, so in reality the lens is around 29-88mm which makes it even more appealing.

If you are looking for your first EOS camera than this will fit your needs, no doubt. It takes pictures which are arguably as good as the best EOS camera. The crop factor is great for that extra zoom reach, and its center pixel density is higher than the EOS MKIII, thus capturing more detail noticeable at the center of the frame. (MKIII is full frame so has less pixel density). Pixel peeping !!!

If I had to chose between the 60D and 70D I'd obviously go for the latter. Yet I would not pick the 70D over the 7D. I love the 7D's solid construction and the professional photography oriented weatherproof magnesium body. And for fairness sake the 70D is not meant to replace the best selling 7D, which has regained it's appeal after the firmware upgrade (Ver.2) a couple of months ago. My guess is that we shall see a 7D Mk II in the future.

As on 11th April 2014, no other DSLR comes close to the EOS70D as far as video capabilities go. You would probably need to dish out way over twice the amount on a professional video camera to get the equivalent video quality of the EOS 70D.

Highly recommended to videographers seeking best possible image quality at a great price.
on 17 May 2015
I only bought it yesterday but I am thrilled with it so far. The minimum focusing distance on the 18-55 IS STM lens seems shorter than my old 18-55 kit lens and seems from the few shots I have taken with it so far to be really good. I think I am seeing more detail in darker areas of shots than I did on my 60D. Focusing certainly seems faster and more accurate. I think I am really going to enjoy the touchscreen. Longing to get out and test it in full! I have ordered a screen protector this time as I didn't with my 60D so when I came to trade it in for the new one it lost some value on cosmetic grounds.
review image
on 27 January 2015
This camera is perfection.

I'd stalked this online for months, pre-release, and developed quite the crush. I then purchased it as soon as possible, ordering from Panamoz before it had even been released here. It was the best decision I've made regarding photography ever.

It's been well over a year now, and my 600D is gathering dust where ever I ditched it. Everything about any other Canon model I've used pales in comparison to this. The colours are sharp, the sensor is on fire, speed, auto focus and quality are crazy. It's not too heavy, the screen is easy to navigate and touch controls adds an extra dimension to how you set up. I shoot landscapes, wildlife, and the odd wedding or party, now with much better results. The 70D is up for pretty much any area of photography you could dream up.

I'm generally an accident prone person who ventures out in all weather. It took the 600D about a year before the signs of my ownership were there, dust in the camera, chips along the side, and a broken flash. This, however, is as shiny and beautiful as it was the day it arrived home.It's travelled well, it's been handed around to careless drunks at parties and survived, it's made it through torrential rain without any technical hiccups and up mountains with no visible scuffs. The only issue I have had with it was that initially certain lenses didn't click into place. They were attached and functioning but not held in securely, which led to a few falling off near rivers and my heart freezing in place. However, with use this problem has rectified itself, I think it was just a bit stiff and has taken some time for the pin to loosen and spring correctly. But, if you're buying it from Amazon any problem like that can be solved at the drop of a hat.

In short, minus the 5D and maybe the 7D, if you want quality, precision and an overall great piece of kit, buy this camera. I cannot stress enough what a masterpiece this thing is.
review image
0Comment45 of 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 January 2015
The perfect camera for the enthusiast. I purchase the 'dummies guide to the d70'' at the same time . The instructions shipped with the camera are very inclusive but almost indecipherable and written in a tiny script. the dummies guide has been invaluable in learning the fantastic capabilities of this fine camera. I most highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys photography and takes the art seriously
on 2 March 2015
Wow absolutely amazing piece of kit ! Its my 1st proper slr camera mainly for shooting film and its blown me away, I am very new to shooting on slr cameras after using different video cameras and this has been Ace ! Its very user friendly with info on the back screen walking you through the all settings and configurations "This can be changed" The various auto focus settings are brilliant - The inbuilt Wi-fi is just fantastic for sending images straight to your i-phone/Laptop whilst out taking shots !! 1 Battery life is superb - I would certainly recommend buying the big 64 gig memory card - Overall picture quality is out this world ! So happy with camera worth every penny ;-)
on 24 June 2015
I bought this camera as an upgrade from my old 500D, which I'd begun to out grow a little, particularly in terms of its autofocus system which wasn't able to track birds in flight the way I wanted (at least not with my frantic, out of control panning style!). Also, as someone who uses the auto bracketing function to somewhat laboriously produce HDR shots on my computer, in-camera HDR appealed to me.

I'm still getting to grips with the new camera, but overall I'm very happy with it. I've had some great shots of gulls flying along the beach at Bamburgh already (aided by the high speed continuous shooting which is a real step up from the 500D) , and the in-camera HDR is effective without being prone to going overboard with the HDR effect (which was always my weakness). I usually use the camera with my EFS 15-85mm which is giving me good results and I'm sure things will improve further as I learn the controls and features.

One thing which does disappoint me a little is the wifi function - it works, but I find it a bit fiddly and slow and I usually end up just taking out the SD card to get the photos off the camera. I can't help wishing they'd gone with in-camera GPS instead of wifi, but maybe that'll give me an excuse to look at the 80D.
on 16 March 2015
I upgraded to this camera from the 700D and was soooo excited when I got it the other day. I was all smiles until I noticed that the camera's centre focus point was giving me soft photos when shooting with my canon 50mm lens at 1.8 and 2.8. I thought it might be me, so I mounted it on my tripod and tried again - same result. The view finder's centre focus point was off, however, the same shot with the same aperture value when taken with live view was tack sharp.

I was extremely gutted at this point, so I googled this issue and I'm not alone! It appears that not every 70D has this problem, but a very high number has. Check out [...]; this guy does a great video on the problem and I wished I'd seen it before I bought my 70D. If it doesn't show as a hyperlink above, go to YouTube or Google and type in the words '70D Bad Focus Issues' and look for the video by PhotoRec Toby.

The problem only seems to occur when you shoot at very wide apertures and of course not everyone does and if you use it for video, then its not a problem. Okay, some might say you shouldn't shoot at a lens widest aperture and that is true, however, I still got a soft photo when shooting at 2.8; the problem seems to go away when you shoot at 4.5 and above.

I contacted Canon today (Monday 16 March) and was told to take it back to the retailer (I bought it from Jessops on Saturday 14 March) so I'm going to do that and if the issue if fixed, I'll update my review, however, I'm not convinced that a different camera will resolve the problem, especially after watching a few videos about this problem.

Conclusion - yeah, its a great camera if you don't want to use the centre focus point with an aperture below 4.5, but when you've paid nearly £800 for a camera, you want to be able to use all your lenses at all its aperture values!

From what I've read and watched about this bad focusing issue, it seems Canon hasn't acknowledged that there is a problem, so if a new camera from Jessops still has this same issue, then its back to Canon UK!
66 comments17 of 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Being an avid Canon EOS fan, I was so excited when this camera was announced.

Most of the very helpful reviewers here on Amazon go in great detail, so I will leave this review short. The specifications can seen on many websites, so its useless to copy and paste!!
Yet I will try to highlight certain key points.

This camera is a first in offering true and effective video implementation (with unparalleled autofocus on dSLR cameras). Modifications to the body will appeal to videographers. The 70D takes the good of EOS series cameras and introduces a new awesome sensor. I have tested the camera for a few days and there are many things I like about it. Image quality is nearly on par with the best EOS offering. The articulated touchscreen is responsive, yet awkward to use whilst taking videos due to camera weight. As for stills, the fast and responsive touchscreen is a joy to use!! Once I got used to navigating the intuitive touchscreen, I really wished I had it on my 7D.

I was expecting more from the Digic 5 processor, yet I realise that the 7D has dual Digic4 processors. The new sensor on the 70D is revolutionary, as every pixel is divided in two, offering phase detection in live view (during video). Phase detection is so much more reliable and much faster than contrast detection (which tends to hunt). In the few days of ownership I really enjoyed the experience. I am comparing it to the 7D which is a bit unfair, yet I do not own (and never used) the 60D. So some of the pros listed below are in relation to the 7D.

Pros:
✓ Outstanding image quality
✓ Revolutionary Dual pixel CMOS AF sensor (80% of which are in use for phase detection)
✓ Ingenious implementation of phase detection
✓ Articulated touch screen, especially useful for video. (However I personally prefer the more professional looking traditional fixed screen)
✓ Outstanding bokeh effect, thanks to the large APS-C sensor. Same sensor as on the 7D
✓ EF & EF-S lens compatibility
✓ WiFi (Can be controlled remotely by app on phone)
✓ Uses SD cards rather than the more expensive CF cards (used on 7D)

Cons:
- No audio monitoring during video!! I give a lot of weight to this missing feature
- Build quality not as good as 7D which sports a magnesium body
- 98% viewfinder coverage

Considerations:
One needs to consider buying STM lenses, which are specifically optimised for video. Apart from the super silent motors, the front barrel does not rotate making it ideal for polariser filters.

------------------

If you are looking for your first EOS camera than this will fit your needs, no doubt. It takes pictures which are arguably as good as the best EOS camera. The crop factor is great for that extra zoom reach, and its centre pixel density is higher than the EOS MKIII, thus capturing more detail most noticeable at the centre of the frame. (MKIII is full frame so has less pixel density).

As on 11th April 2014, no other DSLR comes close to the EOS70D as far as video capabilities go. You would probably need to dish out well over twice the amount on a professional video camera to get the equivalent video quality of the EOS 70D.

0Comment31 of 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 September 2015
This was bought as an upgrade from my 450d. I chose it over the 7d as it has wifi and a touch screen. I was pleased with my previous camera but this is outstanding! Sharp, good colour and higher ISO settings which enable me to shoot at higher speeds without being noisy [prone to camera shake!].