Published 15 months ago by Polak

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't quite work
Unfortunately the Jot Script doesn't do everything it says it should.

1) Precision?

Not quite, the tip of the pen is very fine indeed but it doesn't quite ink at the point where the tip touches the screen. This was from using it on Penultimate. Not very far off the point but was expecting more precision.

2) Designed to feel like a...
Published 17 months ago by Kwokodile

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product but make sure you manage your expectations with digital note taking, 7 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Adonit Jot Script Evernote Edition Fine Point Stylus for iPad, iPad Air, iPad Mini (Personal Computers)
My role at work involves quite a lot of note taking and different jobs require different book so I wanted to try digital method to store this information. I did a bit of research and this stylus came well recommended. Off course the stylus is only half of the equation, you also need a decent note taking application to get the best results. I used notesplus on my ipad air and I have used this stylus quite extensively over the last month, on the train, at a desk, whilst standing or when I needed to jot something down in a hurry. I was very pleased with the results. You need to first accept that a stylus is not a pen and that you need to adapt your approach. Also you need to make sure that you are using the software for the purposes it was designed, it sounds obvious but make sure that you're using the software correctly, and that it's calibrated for your grip and hand.

With this stylus I found the clack is made as the tip touched the screen very bearable with no issues there. I turned it off and on regularly and it activated very easily with no problems. I found the writing to be very responsive and I write about 40 pages over twenty working days. I set my pages to A4 so that I could print them easily, but that is nothing to do with the stylus.

I liked the feel of the weight in my hand and it did mimic a pen very well. I found it very pleasing to hold and use. The nib was nice and it moved across the screen very well.

I would definately recommend it, but there are a few issues:

Mine developed a crack in the plastic around the nib. I am attributing this to a one-off defect and intend to replace it.
The battery life is quite weak and I found that during extensive use it can require regular changes. You need to use lithium batteries and I'd recommend rechargable ones.
There is not clip or method of storage and so I found rolling around loose in my jacket pocket where it was fall horizontally to the bottom and be a pain to retrieve.
When the battery gets low it seems to intermittently stop working so there are gaps when you write. A bit annoying but it does seem to rectify itself after a few seconds and if you erase and repeat you should get the results you're after.

I intend to get a case or something for my next one, but I would recommend getting a decent powerful notetaking application and learn how to use to before critising the stylus.

Anyway, these are my observations. I think it's a really nice stylus and I intend to stick with it for the foreseeable future. It comes with it's own pros and cons to physical notetaking and it's down to your own personal preference if it is a worthy replacement to the humble bic biro. I think it is, but it can be an expensive experiment.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't quite work, 30 Dec. 2013
Unfortunately the Jot Script doesn't do everything it says it should.

1) Precision?

2) Designed to feel like a pen?

It definitely feels like a pen and very light even with the battery inserted.

3) Palm Rejection?

Plainly doesn't work. In a way this makes the whole thing useless at this point because the wrist protection feature in Penultimate is not great and it doesn't have a wrist guard option to block off the bottom part of the screen. The inking will always jump around as it keeps detecting the wrist as you write. Tested it on other apps such as Adobe Ideas (which supports the Jot Script) and same problem (even worse than Penultimate). For me, palm rejection is the number one reason (very fine nib being the second) I bought this and this is a big let down.

Other points worth mentioning:

- Used it with other note taking apps such as GoodNotes. No Jot Script Bluetooth support yet, but using the stylus along with the palm protection feature is giving some nice results. Probably on par with using the Wacom Bamboo + Goodnotes.

- The nib on the screen is very loud. I would say it is even louder than using the other Adonit Jot Stylus (the ones with the disc at the end). Maybe this is because the disc had a larger surface area when making contact with the screen and the Jot Script has a very fine point and somehow this creates a much louder noise. Could become very annoying.

- The stylus will not work on the capacitive screen if the Jot Script is not switched on. I guess this is because it needs the battery power to create an electrical current that the screen can recognise. (will work as long as the stylus is on, and even if it is not bluetooth paired to the device). Hadn't really given much thought to this but I can see this being a bit annoying as the Jot Script will power itself down when it is idle and you can't just pick it up and start poking away at the screen.

My main hope for this very expensive stylus is that software improvements will make it more useful. I think that although this pen doesn't work as advertised, it is probably true of all the other Bluetooth stylus like the Pogo Connect, Wacom Intuos Creative Stylus or the Pencil by Fifty Three as the reviews of all these other stylus seem to mention all the faults I have described of the Jot Script.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Note Writer!, 15 Jan. 2014
I had been eagerly awaiting the release of the Jot Sript however having read other reviews my initial excitement was some what tempered. I had been previously using the Jot Pro as my main stylus and had been very impressed vs other makes that are rubber tipped.
The Jot Script itself was well packaged in a clear plastic box and included the AAA battery required to operate. Having removed the battery protector the pen switched on by pressing and holding the on/off button and worked immediately. I had been using the Notablility application on my iPad mini for over 6months and the Jot Script works extremely well in this.
To use the pen's extra features through the bluetooth connectivity e.g. palm rejection you need to use an application that supports the unit, such as Noteshelf. To connect you simply click into settings on a document and stylus input. This was quick and easy and meant I was able to write without worrying about my palm resting on the screen which surprised me in how effectively it worked.
I find that the finer tip glides over the screen more smoothly than the original Jot Pro however it retains the accuracy that I liked. Using the Jot Script is the closest input device yet that allows me to feel that I am writing "naturally" on my screen. I find that I do not have to adapt the angle or manner in which I write either.
As with any of the devices that I have used there is a very small lag as you write onto the screen however this isn't distracting and you do get use to it.
Overall I would say that I think this is an excellent product and it will be even more impressive as more applications allow the enhanced bluetooth features. I would highly recommend to purchase if you want a note taking input device.

2.0 out of 5 stars It's pointless - save yourself time and money, 16 Nov. 2014
I'm very disappointed. I was looking for a pen without that bulky thick head for a long time. I always thought tablet would be great for making notes. Unfortunately it's not the case at all.

The pen itself is ok - it's well made and has the right weight. But that's all good I can say about it. Making notes simply doesn't work. The precision is horrible and depends on how you hold your iPad - in portrait or landscape orientation. I found it working better in landscape orientation for some reason - the precision is better. In portrait orientation the precision depends on the tilt of the pen during writing. The more the tilt, the further away the ink point gets from the actual pen position. You can only get fine precision if you hold the pen perpendicular to the tablet - but who writes like that?

It's quite ok if you want to draw a horizontal or vertical line, but forget about writing. The results are simply horrible and my 6 years old daughter's writing looks much better in comparison.

Want to draw a straight diagonal line? Forget it! All you get is a beautiful sinusoid.

Save yourself time and money - it simply doesn't work. It lacks precision and it lacks accuracy. It's not good for drawing, not good for sketching and especially not good for writing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good with the right app (not Penultimate), 25 Feb. 2014
I have this fine point stylus for five days now and have been trialling it heavily so that I can make an early decision whether to return it or not; a tack I decided on even before I put in an order because of the mixed reviews I read (and I read a lot). But I'm preparing to take on a project that will involve interviewing people abroad with very strict protocols for transporting data so I would like to have my interview notes in digital format for ease of file transfer. I don't want to scan or photograph hardcopies of notes on paper. Here are some thoughts on my early experience.

1. I did not have a good experience using this in Penultimate. I already took note of and applied the refinements that other users wrote about: pairing it; configuring the wrist position, cursive etc. The writing experience was so arduous, palm rejection was unreliable, and my handwritten notes really looked awful. (I compared it with my handwriting with pen and paper). As early as the first hour, I was already losing my patience and thinking of returning it. But I decided to give the stylus a chance and used it with another app.

2. I tried it out with GoodNotes 4. The difference is akin to that between day and night. Writing on a glass screen became an enjoyable experience. It works perfectly with GoodNotes approximately 98% of the time. After the first four hours on the first day, I have since been using it exclusively with GoodNotes.

3. When I simulated an interview situation by taking notes while watching "Question Time" on the telly, I found that I either have to keep the tip on the screen to prevent it from timing out (I just erased the dots later) or to remember to press the power button before writing anything after a certain period of inactivity. I stuck on a bit of padded sticker on the button so that my thumb can find it easily without my having to break eye contact with the "interviewee" just to turn it on.

4. I have to make some adjustments to my handwriting style. I found that I needed to revert to my primary school handwriting (the really curvy cursive taught in handwriting lessons rather than the thin angular strokes that I have transitioned into) in order to make legible notes. But this is just a minor adjustment and I'm practicing it now so that I can do it intuitively by the time of my interviews.

I'm planning to use it in a lecture setting in two days. I'll be able to comment on how distracting the stylus-on-glass click will be by then.

Current verdict: Barring any major technical breakdown, I'm keeping this stylus.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect but a good product, 6 Jan. 2014
I've been using this for just under a week on my iPad mini retina. I've been using it with Evernote Penultimate, GoodNotes 4 and 7notesHD premium. The stylus does feel like a ball point pen, it's very well constructed and feels comfortable to use. One of the other reviewers is correct in saying that it's not 100% accurate!
It is 100% accurate and will ink from the tip if you're holding it straight while writing, but I don't think anyone will be holding it straight while writing notes. As you'll be holding it at a slight angle when writing, the inking will be slightly off point depending on how much of an angle you'll be holding it. However, with continuos usage you'll start writing very accurately with it.
I found that the best app was GoodNotes4 for note taking, and 7notesHD premium for note taking and converting your notes to text.
I'm satisfied with my purchase so far and would recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Concept Let Down by Poor App Integration, 8 April 2014
Antoine Camilleri (Malta) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
I really had high hopes for the Adonit Evernote Jot Script, yet these diminished very quickly after opening the professional looking packaging and started to use it.

I do hope that the numerous issues, like offset and inaccurate point alignment, palm rejection etc are software related and hence can be addressed via app updates.

The pen itself feels well made, yet one has to take into account the price, which in my opinion is considerably steep.

At the moment I cannot recommend it to anyone seeking an accurate ballpoint type stylus.

1.0 out of 5 stars Take a note - Do not buy, 12 Jan. 2014
I so wanted this stylus to work. I have been a Livescribe user for many years and thought this would be the opportunity to finally go paperless

The real culprit is Penultimate. It just doesn't work well

As others have commented the palm recognition is poor and the lag on input is just too much of a distraction

It is interesting that the effect is to make my generally OK handwriting almost unreadable, even to me!

The only plus comment is that the pen is well built and the right size. So well done Adonit for that part

Disclosure: Pen purchased directly from Adonit. Penultimate used on an iPad Air

4.0 out of 5 stars This stylus is good but doesn't warn about having a low battery - ..., 4 Jan. 2015
This stylus is good but doesn't warn about having a low battery - meaning that I think it's malfunctioning when actually it just needs a new battery, other than this the stylus works very well with my iPad Mini 2 (may work better on the Air as it is bigger than the Mini 2 but I haven't been put off from using it yet) great for taking notes in meetings (although can tap quite a lot against the screen, albeit no different to a sound from a furious typer with a laptop ;)

2.0 out of 5 stars because I'm not going to change may favorite platform. Penultimate with the Jot Script is the ..., 5 Aug. 2014
iOS is not for styluses... Android is for styluses... I hope Apple will fix this, because I'm not going to change may favorite platform. Penultimate with the Jot Script is the disaster (despite the advertised EVERNOTE EDITION of Adonit Jot Script)! As well as GoodNotes. Actually all apps recommended by Adonit do not work like advertised! The only app is Notability (not supported by Evernote/Adonit) is worth trying... I'm disappointed...