Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 12 September 2013
'Samson & Delilah' is not so much a re-emergence as a reinvention.
VV Brown (Vanessa to her friends), in her previous incarnation as
perpetrator of the execrable 2009 debut album 'Travelling Like The
Light', has bounced back after her sojourn in the land of haberdashery,
with a recording so distinctive and gob-smackingly good that I shall now
probably have to eat my hat, never having believed that the listening
world would ever be likely to hear from her again. This one is a winner.

Goodness knows what's happened to Ms Brown's voice. It hardly seems
possible listening to these eleven songs that it can be the same artist.
Out with the scrappy soul/R&B pastiche; in with the surreal quasi-operatic
soundscapes and blisteringly good vocal performances. It's wonderfully
weird stuff; just a little bit West End in its genes but with a twist of
something a tad more edgy and unpredictable in its blood and teeth
and bones. There's drama here in rich abundance and it's got me hooked.

From the widescreen grandiosity of opening track 'Substitute For Love'
and the dark and drafty corridors of 'Looking For Love' (a real stunner!);
via the odd nod and wink to Grace Jones provided by the frisky 'The Apple';
to the bleak but emotionally stirring conclusion 'Beginning', Ms Brown kept me
totally enthralled. I had not the slightest inkling of what might happen next!

By any standard known to man or beast this is extraordinary stuff.

Suddenly I'm a believer!

Highly Recommended.
on 21 September 2013
I loved the singles from the first album but, let's be honest, the album as a whole was a let-down, which makes the re-invention and reinvigoration of VV Brown on this album all the more remarkable.

This has got to be one of the bravest, boldest and most cutting-edge pop albums I've ever heard. The production is superb, with rumbling bass, bleeps and blips, and great percussion. Topping it all off is the vocals, which is what really makes the album, having been fed through all sorts of effects, giving each track its own personality.

It doesn't really sound like any of these artists, but when I listen I hear bits of Grace Jones, Julia Holter, Laurie Anderson, Joan Armatrading and Bjork. But at heart it's still a pop album, just a very, very ambitious one. Hats off to Miss Brown.
on 31 October 2013
Compared to Travelling like the light... there is no point trying to. This is such a departure it takes time to understand quite what has happened to the Pop, to the soul, to VV Brown herself.

Then, after about listen number 4, things start to fall into place, sounds start to appear you hadn't heard before, lyrics unravel and the album comes alive.

The title track is heavy, dark and quite menacing, and it kicks off a run of songs that pound at your ear drums, and also your head...it sort of draws you in and slaps you about a bit.

As others have said, the Apple is a standout, yet after another listen, it is clear that this is more of a piece than parts, and should be listened to as the artist intended.

I would advise anyone who wants to understand what I mean, to find an empty room, space, car etc, turn up your stereo and immerse yourself in this album. It is really worth the effort and hopefully more people will understand what a talent VV Brown is.
on 21 October 2013
Really impressed with this album. I'd seen VV Brown on Jools Holland a few years ago and didn't really find much that appealed so I didn't listen to much more. This time around though my wife and I both sat up and took notice. "Faith" was the track that really hooked us in.

Consequently I went and bought this and I'm pleased I did. The whole album is really impressive throughout.

Others have commented about the operatic sounds. Well, for me and when listened to on a good system, the sound definitely comes across as grandiose and all encompassing - this is a good thing. You feel involved in the tracks and it doesn't really sound like pop at all. Many of the tracks have an almost avant garde sound to them - for example "Igneous" with it's pulsing, dark and throbbing beat, quite unlike anything else on the album or "Samson" with it's apparently off kilter rhythms but which hooks you in via the engaging lyrics.

A special mention as well to the opening track "Substitute for love". This is delightful. It's slow but detailed and demands your attention. This is a real gem.

Judging by a couple of conflicting reviews this album seems to have divided opinion so I guess you need to decide whether you think this for you or not. Personally I really like it and I guess that as you're reading these reviews you've probably been inspired enough to look VV Brown up. If that's the case then I suggest it might be worth your while investing a little cash.
on 22 October 2013
Exciting ,Love the voice Most cds like this would not interest me but this is a cut above the rest really worth a listen to.This CD needs good speakers or ear phone to be appreciated or it can sound like just another stomping night club CD. Which it is really is not .I think people will either love it or hate it ..But if you like it it will hold your interest to the end Never a boring moment as many cds getting just half way through and they get boring ,This really does hold my interest to the very end. I cannot wait till there next cd if it is as good as this.
on 11 October 2013
What a revelation! Sounds like Annie Lennox and Grace Jones fronting Portishead! A far cry from her earlier stuff. Highly recommended.
on 29 December 2013
Most of the reviews on here sum it up rather well. It's nothing like her previous album at all. When I first heard 'Samson' on my laptop I thought it was awful. Then I heard 'Substitute for love' but this time on proper speakers and that's when it hit me how amazing this song it. Yes it's self indulgent but not in the typical way usually heard by indie artists whining. Its more a dramatic explosion, some of the tracks on here would make great soundtracks for James Bond-esq movies. Though others could have just as easily featured on dramas such as Skins.

As mentioned by another reviewer it really does make a difference on the sound system you listen to it with. Usually I laugh this off as a fan trying to explain a poor album but the tracks sound a lot weaker and with too much bass on your average laptop, where as on a good speaker it sounds crisp and your drawn in by her dramatic lyrics.

Substitute for love, Knife, Faith, Igneous & The Apple are superb songs with Nothing really matters and Looking for Love being my least favorite but you can still appreciate the effort and as an album over all it doesn't feature any fillers. Defiantly a good album, just don't expect to hear the old VV Brown.
on 25 January 2014
My early belief that her talents would emerge like a butterfly were not unfounded. Slightly over ambitious for a Pop album it is closer to Art Pop, dare I say a mix of Kate Bush and Peter Gabriel?
on 14 May 2014
If you like modern blues style music this is worth listening to. Samson and Delilah is a well recorded mixture of the groups styles. The first track 'Beginning' is a gentle intro which contrasts beautifully with the second 'Friends' and then a switch again to the third 'Faith'. I feel that this compilation extends V V Brown's singing styles with backup and mixing to emphasize the quality of the band. .Why a four star rating?- Though a great set, I didn't feel it hung together as an album, in fact I prefer playing this on 'mix' as a set of single tracks, thereby picking out each tracks personal quality.
on 6 November 2013
Massive departure from the last album but stays loyal to her musical aspersions.
Haunting voice, sits perfectly within thoughtfully crafted songs.