5.0 out of 5 stars Pulling out all the stops!
Published 11 months ago by Stella Day

Published 1 month ago by Lyndon A. Brown

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Pulling out all the stops!, 14 Oct 2013
Stella Day (Sevenoaks,Kent. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Birmingham - Live With Orchestra & Choir (Audio CD)
Live albums aren't really my cup of tea. Bum notes, muddled words and drunken choruses which transport you to somewhere more akin to a football stadium than a concert hall are usually long-awaited and disappointing. Not so this one! From the first spine-tingling intro into Hideaway I was transported to my chintzy, Harley-poster-covered bedroom. Blimey. I can smell joss sticks and Three Wishes bubble bath already! I listened to both Human Menagerie and Psychomodo on a small mono record player in my teens but now these songs recorded live in Birmingham last year have a new energy. They're not better but they are different to the original recordings and of course as an added bonus there's a couple of new songs included. If you missed the live show in Birmingham buy it. But note there's another chance to see the same (though it's never the same, is it?) in Manchester next Year in April. If you were there in Birmingham, as I was, it's a great reminder of a fantastic night where Steve and his usual entourage were joined by guest saxophonist Spandau Ballet's Steve Norman, The Orchestra of the Swan and the Chamber Choir. They pulled out all the stops for the crowd and Steve, ever the professional gave us all he had. He said as they launched into Hideaway at the beginning of the night "We'd better deliver now" They did.....and how!

5.0 out of 5 stars In great voice (MP3 version), 20 Oct 2013
Big Jim "Big Jim" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Birmingham - Live With Orchestra & Choir (Audio CD)
In a weekend of listening to live albums this one takes the prize. Beautifully recorded, beautifully played and beautifully sung, the addition of choir and orchestra lend majesty to tracks such as Sebastian which is probably my favourite in the set. I can understand a previous reviewer's frustration at the lack of between song speech on the album but for me I'm mainly here for the music so actually welcome the editing and the odd bits of banter that have been retained help hold the piece together in a coherent way. Maybe an extra "all inclusive" version might be released so that we all can be catered for.
Oh and I notice that Amazon in their infinite wisdom have done their occasional and annoying trick and lumped DVD reviews in with ones for the music album. Not exactly helpful of course but I think the general gist is that DVD or album, this is a very nice piece of work. Recommended!

1.0 out of 5 stars What is truly sad is that the songs are magnificent and deserve more ..., 20 July 2014
Lyndon A. Brown (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Birmingham - Live With Orchestra & Choir (Audio CD)
One of the most disappointing Harley concerts I have ever seen and I have been to many. From the very first song where Steve forgot the lyrics it was just one catastrophe after another. So many mistakes and then comments about other artists who use prompts for lyrics. What is truly sad is that the songs are magnificent and deserve more than this treatment!! HOWEVER I have been to two concerts since. Why?? Because I am addicted to the songs and need an annual fix !! Thankfully there was done sort of IPAD at the front and no mistakes were made which was fab because the second concert was at the Royal Albert Hall! It was magnificent to hear the songs treated with the dignity they deserve!! It is also interesting to read what Harley thought if the first Birmingham Concert. It certainly backed up my criticism!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unforgettable concert, great cd, 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: Birmingham - Live With Orchestra & Choir (Audio CD)
A night we all looked forward to, and it lived up to all our expectations. The cd captures the night perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars well done BIRMINGHAM, 2 Dec 2013
This review is from: Birmingham - Live With Orchestra & Choir (Audio CD)
I think Steve is holding out a lot better than other greats from early seventies.
Well done Steve great to hear these albums live.
My sons middle is Sebastian after one of your masterpieces. Stay your way.
Martin from Cardiff.

4.0 out of 5 stars A double version of the first two Albiums, 21 Nov 2013
This review is from: Birmingham - Live With Orchestra & Choir (Audio CD)
A good reproductioon of the concert almost back to original version at least it sounded like it enjoyed the CD good sound

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Delightful!, 16 Nov 2013
This review is from: Birmingham - Live With Orchestra & Choir (Audio CD)
This is a truly delightful album! Whilst I can understand one reviewers point of view that Steve's commentary shouldn't have been edited in the way that it has, the arrangements of these two classic albums is fantastic! Fan or just discovering Mr Harley for the first time, you cannot be anything but impressed by his still unique vocal qualities. My only recommendation is buy it and book a ticket for the 2014 gigs!

5.0 out of 5 stars You're missing a trick if you miss these concerts!, 8 July 2014
M. Owens (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
Absolutely fabulous. Loved the concert in 2014 and not much difference.

5.0 out of 5 stars what can i say only one word FANTASTIC, and worth buying for Death Trip alone, 7 July 2014
This review is from: Birmingham - Live With Orchestra & Choir (Audio CD)
After seeing this concert last week, ( July 14 ) i had to buy this C.D, what can i say only one word FANTASTIC, and worth buying for Death Trip alone, i am going to now buy the DVD so i can watch Steve in all his glory.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant! oh what a night, 6 Feb 2014
This review is from: Birmingham - Live With Orchestra & Choir (Audio CD)
those of us who where lucky enough to be there can relive it whenever we want. great musicianship and great songs. well done Mr Harley et al

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Birmingham - Live With Orchestra & Choir
Birmingham - Live With Orchestra & Choir by Steve Harley (Audio CD - 2013)