Format: MP3 Download|Change

It was no less that the great Damien Jurado who recently stated that "When I die, I want to be buried with my Glen Campbell record collection. That's how much I love Glen Campbell". It's a sentiment many share and fully endorse. There is no need to dwell here on the fact that this is Campbell's 65th album and that he has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's realistically curtailing any significant further musical output. Some may also point that it re-treads familiar ground in revisiting his greatest hits. But it is the nature of the return to these classics that makes this record so special. It was Johnny Cash in American Recordings who set the template for such records and in "See you there" initially recorded during the 2011 "Ghost On The Canvas" sessions, Campbell has matched that standard. This is no maudlin outing that dwells on his debilitating condition but a celebration of some of the greatest songs penned in pop music sung by one of its most distinctive and best voices.

In one sense this is Glen Campbell for the alternative country generation. Nowhere is this clearer than on his take of Jimmy Webb's greatest song "Wichita Linesman". The original lush string arrangement is absent and instead Campbell sings it as a barroom ballad. His voice still sounds like musical honey and the depth that comes through age adds a juggernaut sized level of poignancy to a great performance. Those other Webb classics are equally well done. "By the time I get to Phoenix" is stripped back to gentle acoustics with the odd strain in Campbell's performance adding to the songs sense of regret. "Galveston" is even more bare bones with the slide guitar and accordion lending it a much more contemplative and reflective feel.

The sterling producers of this record, Dave Darling and Dave Kaplan, have recognised that the key instrument on the album must be Campbell's voice, thus the excellent version of "There's no me... without you" from the last album works brilliantly. The most radical overhaul is on "Rhinestone Cowboy" which is given a Neil Young style arrangement underpinned with a basic distorted electric guitar strummed in the background and it succeeds. The version of "Gentle on my mind" does suffer somewhat from the clipped vocal delivery that Campbell employs but its solid enough. The almost Roy Orbison style dramatics conveyed on the original "Hey little one" are replaced by a much more mellow tone, yet at aged 77 Campbell's ability to hit those high true notes is just remarkable. This reviewer has never been a huge fan of the song "True Grit" but at last this version captures it in a pure country setting and is a big highlight on an album packed with them. The one new song on the album is the religious "Waitin on the coming of my lord" and is a full restatement of Campbell's faith. It is the gorgeous version of "Postcard from Paris" that adds the icing to the musical cake, a beautiful song that finds a fresh way to spell love. For good measure on the Amazon download there are three additional versions of the songs on "See you there" with "Waitin on the coming of my lord" given a full Mariachi treatment.

Glen Campbell is a musician who has paid his dues and much more. He has gone through dark days and made his share of headlines. As his recording career draws to a closing chapter it would be easy to slip into pure reverence. In the same vein the context of his illness could produce condescension by awarding a sympathy mark or two. To stress however this is a superb album that sees Campbell performing in his own impeccable style with a voice that remains a wondrous instrument and conveyor of pure feeling. Some will favour the original versions of these songs, and opinions of this album may differ vastly. Yet "See you there" is an album of an artist determined to squeeze out all the fantastic songs he has left within him and in in doing so demonstrate that musical integrity is the mark of true greatness.
55 comments|41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 11 August 2013
It would be oblivious to say I did not feel a lump in my throat listening to this new release. Glen Campbell is legendary and this new recently recorded compilation of his most famous recordings is not without sentiment but is more of a festival and celebration of his talent. Glen sang these famous numbers, plus more, in 2011 at the time of his epic 'Ghost On The Canvas'. Producers Dave Darling and Dave Kaplan have stripped the original instrumental accompaniments to highlight Glen's vocals with marvellous arrangements. It mostly sounds like an unplugged Glen Campbell with the addition of tasteful slide guitar, instruments and backing vocals in a simplistic way, yet it works superbly.

The hits are all here. Glen's voice has changed with his age but the honey-tones are still there and he hits the notes and timing with the man who still has the attraction to beguile. It is an impossible task to pick out the highlights as they are all gems. 'Witchita Linesman' and 'Phoenix' contain lyrics and melodies beyond criticism. In 'Postcard From Paris', he sings "I don't know what it's all about, I wish you were here when the shadows fall". Glen, we will be.
on 25 May 2014
Like Glen, I now know what it is like to face one's own mortality. He is being treated for Alzheimers and I am being treated for Cancer. And you know what? Facing up to life's harsh realities is a whole lot easier when you have Glen Campbell's music to keep you company. He has been on my music players - Vinyl, Cassette and CD - for more years than I care to remember. "See You There" is the work of a true master of their craft - no digitally re-mastered tracks here, just brand new recordings, faithful to the original versions an yet somehow more emotionally meaningful if that were possible. The voice is undamaged by the ravages of time and life - it's as if time has stood still.

I saw Glen in concert in 1972 in the "House of Stoush" (Festival Hall) Melbourne and as he was then, he is now - a consummate professional who brings it all to some of the greatest songs ever written. I don't care how many of the tracks on "See You There" you own already. Your collection is not complete without it. God bless you Glen - listening to your music is getting me through the tough days - Thanks for the music, the memories and the inspiration, you truly are a star.
VINE VOICEon 17 August 2013
This album is simply superb. Glen's interpretation of Jimmy Webb's "Postcards From Paris" is most definitely the best version of this song ever recorded. Yes the John Denver version is good but Glen's is outstanding. Two versions on the CD, I prefer the simpler arrangement but both are "simply superb". The other outstanding track is Glen's own composition "There's No Me..Without You." On the "Ghosts" album this beautiful song was drowned by echo and heavy instruments....on this CD you hear the song as it should be .... a beautiful ballad and brilliantly sung by Glen. I have to admit I did not take to "Ghosts" and this new CD is much more in line with "Meet Glen Campbell", which was a truly remarkable album and perhaps the best Glen had recorded in many a year. This new CD to me is like Volume 2 of "Meet"......thank you to all concerned for producing another simply superb album from Glen Campbell. I waited for a week before writing this review so I could hear the CD several times....luckily I had ordered it months ago and because of "Auto-Rip" I could listen to it a day before the official release and delivery of my CD. Thank you Amazon for a great new addition "Auto-Rip".
on 22 September 2013
This album is brilliant, but very sad when you think of Glen's illness. His songs sound as good now as they did when first recorded, but with a different interpretation. True classics.
on 12 August 2013
Glen Campbell was diagnosed with alzheimer's two years ago, so for him to release an album is quite an amazing feat. And this isn't just a another compilation album. This is new recordings of old tracks, and some new tracks.
The new recordings tend to be slightly different arrangements of his classic tracks, and this breathes a breath of fresh air into them. The first two tracks are a great example of this, 'Hey Little One' and 'Wichita Lineman'. Gone are the strings and overproduced sound. There's now steel guitars and accordions, and another thing that's changed slightly is the vocals. For a man who's now nearly 80 he still has a fantastic voice. It's got more emotion to it than the original recordings, and I think it just adds so much to it. The new tracks are as good as the old, and the whole album is great.
To me these tracks are just timeless. I hate to say it, but I actually prefer some of these to the original. I just find they have better depth, and are less cheesy at times. It really is just a breath of fresh air. The fact that the Glen Campbell also has alzheimer's and the man is getting close to his ninth decade is even more remarkable.
I have enormous respect for Glen Campbell after making this album. The more sobering thought is that this is mist likely his swansong. I would be extremely surprised if he ever records another album again. But this a good and fitting ending.
I thoroughly recommend any fan to give this a listen. It really is that good.
on 8 November 2014
I am 10 years younger than Glen Campbell and am not a particularly strong fan of popular music, much of which I think is rubbish. But Glen's music has always been very special to me and clearly to many others. For a start he has of course always had the most beautiful golden voice and he retains much of that quality in old age. Next, I don't generally pay too much attention to song lyrics but Glen forces me to listen to them because he sings great songs, he always lives the lyrics, interprets them superbly. I don't see how one can listen to a Glen Campbell performance without feeling emotionally involved. I cannot think of anyone else who has so much ability to do that to me. He has always been there through most of my adult life, as a staple, fundamental figure in popular music and he is a true giant. Many people will have feelings along these lines and I think there is nothing self indulgently sentimental or goulish about the sincere expression s of sadness and of good will that many people are expressing as Glen proceeds through his awful illness. This afternoon I have listened yet again to all the songs on the 2 CD set The Capitol Years 65/77. It is magnificent music and many of his songs and performances will always be played and listened to. I am feeling very, very sad that the man responsible for it and for lots more is not likely to be with us for much longer. I hope Glen is still getting cards and letters from people he doesn't even know.
on 20 September 2015

07 GALVESTON
03 GENTLE ON MY MIND
(John Hartford)
01 HEY LITTLE ONE
Dorsey Burnette/Barry De Vorzon)
04 POSTCARD FROM PARIS

02 Wichita Lineman

LARRY WEISS
11 Rhinestone Cowboy
on 16 September 2013
There are a few new songs on this album but also some covers of his old hits that have been totally rearranged. Having seen him in concert about two years ago it was amazing how straong his voice was then but this recording sometimes possibly extenuates his age vocally. I still enjoy this album but only the stalwart fans may fully appreciate this man's talent throughout his long career.
on 25 August 2013
I really enjoyed this album and from a 76 year old you wouldn't expect the same vocal strength as on his earlier recordings. There is no point buying this if you want the original hits as these are not the same with thinner vocals and backing. Having said that I found the interpretations enjoyable in what may well be his final album.