4.0 out of 5 stars A definite change for Avenged Sevenfold
Avenged Sevenfold's influence passed through my music taste a few years ago, but still I find myself intrigued whenever they bring out new material, so, around once a year I still put a new Avenged Sevenfold on the speakers and see whats new.

The first notable thing is that this is the first album where Jimmy 'The Rev' Sullivan's influence is no where; he was...
Published 10 months ago by Smatch

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, just not great
Like many other people have already mentioned, this album sounds more like a mis-matched collection of tributes to their heroes, rather than a single piece of work by the band.

When you compare this album to their previous output, I'm sorry to say (in my opinion), it doesn't come close. No tracks really jumped out of the speakers and gripped me, and after 3 or...
Published 10 months ago by thetincanman

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good album.. pure and simple, 30 Aug 2013
J. Crampton "Jamie Crampton, Film nut" (Bedford, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Hail To The King (Audio CD)
Having bought a couple of older A7S albums and a bag full of other metal albums over the years I am happy to categorically state that, whilst this isn't the best album I've ever heard, it is a very good album. Maybe a little too un-metal for some people, but having listened to it a couple of times it's definitely a grower, much more mature than their previous stuff. What pleases me most is that they haven't taken the "metal" way out and chucked in a load of expletives into the lyrics - nothing annoys me more than hearing a decent song ruined by awful lyrics (a la Bring Me The Horizon, for example). Buy it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good! but..., 30 Aug 2013
This review is from: Hail To The King (Audio CD)
I love Avenged Sevenfold, and before now I have literally never been able to fault them. They've always had there own creative, almost unique sound which has made them themselves, and made them so noticeable and a great metal band. Now, I know a7x are well-known for each album being a massive change to the previous one they released, but this time I think they took it a bit too far. In my opinion this is no longer Avenged Sevenfold, it is Metallic mixed with a bit of Iron Maiden. And by that I mean it's almost like they've tried to copy those bands as much as is possible without using the exact riffs/melodies/grooves as Metallica themselves. This Means War, and Crimson Day are, in my opinion scarily close to Metallica's Sad But True and Nothing Else Matters.

Having said this however, I do still like this album! The songs are catchy, heavy, grooving, and filled with energy. I just feel that the band may have taken a backwards step in terms of their creativity, seeing as 'there own sound' which makes them them, is no longer there. Though there is no doubt that there popularity will sore with this release, surely will head the up a definite road of joining the pre-mentioned Metallica as one of the greatest metal bands of all time,certainly of this generation!

So in summary, it is well worth getting!! Just be prepared, any long term, old school A7X fans (like myself)...your in for a shock. If you haven't already heard the album...this will not be what you were expecting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not disappointed, 27 Aug 2013
J. P. House "Jon" (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hail To The King (Audio CD)
After hearing the song, Hail to the King, before buying the album my thoughts were "Good song, but if it's the best on the album, I'll be very disappointed."

I was not disappointed. Good variety within the album. Some fast tempos, killer riffs, slow thumping, powerful drumming and a very good ballad in there. It is clear this is the first album missing The Rev's influence - but they've done a brilliant job. He would be proud!

I love "This Means War." Yes, it is heavily influence by (well, almost copied) Metallica's Sad But True but I don't care - if you can't take influence from gods of metal, who can you?

Coming Home and the album's opener, Shepherd of Fire are also strong highlights of the album.

Is it their best album? No. But it's a damn good effort!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 July 2014
This review is from: Hail To The King (Audio CD)
Absolutely brilliant, even better live

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent album with a number of stand-out tracks, 7 July 2014
This review is from: Hail To The King (Audio CD)
New to this band, I was drawn in by "This means war" getting air play on Planet Rock radio. Pleasingly, the album has a number of stand-out tracks, including the cigarette-lighter-waving "Crimson Day". Recommended, even if you think it may be too heavy for you....

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 July 2014
Mr. R. J. Cooper (u.k) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hail To The King (Audio CD)
Great item, fast delivery. Thank you.

4.0 out of 5 stars All Out Rock, 28 Jun 2014
This review is from: Hail To The King (Audio CD)
While certainly not as creative or melodically inspired as some of their earlier work, this is a solid, no nonsense rock album that will blow the cobwebs away. They're clearly missing the creative input of the Rev though this time around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant album :-), 12 Jun 2014
This review is from: Hail To The King (Audio CD)
I love Avenged Sevenfold with city of evil being my favourite album. This album is fantastic and it's pretty addictive. I've listened to it so much my son now knows the words and sings along in the car.

4.0 out of 5 stars As expected, 29 May 2014
This review is from: Hail To The King (Audio CD)
As expected - wish I didn't HAVE to write a set number of words as a review tho its annoying

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasic, 16 May 2014
This review is from: Hail To The King (Audio CD)
Excellent album from a band I have not yet only just heard. They will be huge in years to come.

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›

Hail To The King
Hail To The King by Avenged Sevenfold (Audio CD - 2013)