4.0 out of 5 stars (64GB )Fast card - Great for raw video
I now have two of these cards (64GB) and was prompted to purchase them after Magic Lantern unleashed the raw video capabilities of the Canon 5D MKIII.

Published 15 months ago by Ali Holloway

1.0 out of 5 stars As useful as a miniskirt at the North Pole
Bought 21/12/2013, received 23/12/2013, initiated return process 27/12/2013.

The card worked fine (and FAST!) for a few days, until... I found corrupted photos!

So I ran h2testw and found 18MB data lost. The next time I ran, 112 MB data was lost!

Published 8 months ago by T T Nguyen

1.0 out of 5 stars As useful as a miniskirt at the North Pole, 27 Dec 2013
This review is from: KOMPUTERBAY 128GB Professional COMPACT FLASH CARD CF 1050X WRITE 100MB/S READ 160MB/S Extreme Speed UDMA 7 RAW 128 GB (Accessory)
Bought 21/12/2013, received 23/12/2013, initiated return process 27/12/2013.

Now barely 4 days later, it took 10+ minutes to write ONE photo in the camera. Even my 10-year-old SD beats that time by a comfortable margin.

Putting it in my PC basically hangs it as Windows tries to read the card (in vain due to all the corrupted data).

Now let's hope Amazon refund me my money. >_< I promise to stick to Lexar or Sandisk from now on. -_-

A bit more background:

If you are not familiar with h2testw, it's a widely used tool to test card integrity (e.g. to detect counterfeit cards). It simply writes data to the card and verifies the written data to ensure no data lost. Very simple but elegant concept.

The behaviour of this Komputerbay CF is similar to some "replacement" crap eBay memory cards. I suspect very low quality memory chip (probably Lexar rejects) was used which die relatively quickly. The "hope" is that the card would fail catastrophically after the warranty / return period is over. If you take a few photos a week, it MAY last you a bit more than a year. If you go 600 in half a day like I do... oh well... should have known better...

So read the positive reviews with a grain of salt (or a whole jar of salt in my opinion). It may not have failed yet but it probably will... soon... like now...

1.0 out of 5 stars Can cause a very expensive repair to your camera!, 19 Nov 2013
G. Hamilton "Hooked on Rock" (Kesgrave, Suffolk United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
First time I went to use this card on my Canon EOS 7D it failed to work. I removed it and replaced it with another which did the same. Thinking my camera was to blame, I sent it to an authorised Canon repairer who told me one of the pins that engage into the memory card had been pushed in and that a faulty card could well be the cause. I was advised to examine all my cards. Sure enough, this card was to blame. A minute fragment was missing next to one of the pin holes. This had come off the body of the card, fell into the hole and on inserting the card, pushed one of the reader pins down into the camera causing a costly repair. They are cheap and nasty and had I have bought a decent brand such as Sandisc, I would have saved money by not have to pay for the damage this card caused. AVOID - THEY ARE NOT A QUALITY CARD

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely disappointed with this product., 13 Aug 2013
I bought this card for a Canon XF100 camcorder, after five minutes of recording the card could no longer cope with the data-rate. A Transcend 400x card has no such problem. Clearly 600x is a misrepresentation. The price seems too good to be true, it is. I looked at the method of getting a refund, and gave up hope. Most would never reach the limits of this card, so would not see the deception. I'm angry with myself for being taken in.

4.0 out of 5 stars (64GB )Fast card - Great for raw video, 30 Jun 2013
Ali Holloway (West Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

What is important is that both cards I have received have worked with no issues from day one and continue to perform flawlessly. After a little research into these cards it appears that one of my cards has the slower SM2236AB controller, however this card will still give sustained write speeds of around 94MB/s which is enough to write continuous 1080p raw @ 25fps with the ML firmware.

The cards fit perfectly into all CF card slots I've used in camera and on card readers. They format as you'd expect any drive to (exFAT formatting for the 5D MKIII is great). The read an write speeds, although never as good as suppliers state, are fast enough to satisfy the most demanding shoots. In both photo and video modes these cards have never let me down. I have not lost any data on these cards as of this time and have been shooting with them every day since I purchased them.

I would advise 64GB to be the perfect size for raw video as they are faster than the 32GB and 128GB cards and offer enough storage for most work - I wouldn't recommend shooting raw in a docu environment as you'll chew through data in no time. That's a no brainer!

To confirm, both my cards will shoot continuous 1080p @ 23.976p, 24p, 25p raw video without breaking a sweat. I can also get 25p from the 3x crop too most of the time, but this result changes with each build. Bear in mind that depending which ML hack (at this stage - things change everyday with ML) you use can determine whether or not you need to "warm up" the card/camera by running off a quick video with skipped frames. I'd suggest reading the ML forum regarding this, but as of the latest (27th June) build I don't have to warm up the card/camera.

I'd recommend these cards to anyone that needs a fast card, wants to save themself a whole chunk of cash and wants to dabble in ML raw video. They do everything I want them to.

Edit: My faster card (SM2236AC) allows me to shoot 1920x1280 at 24p continuous almost every time and when I select 25p the firmware states I have about 2000 frames (however I have recorded past this and not had any skipped frames). ML firmware states the card is writing around 100MB/s at this resolution and frame rate.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed, 16 May 2013
I lost an entire batch of someones wedding photos on this card. I had to pay for data recovery to retrieve the pics. Thankfully I got all back, but at a cost - I was not impressed! It's never happened on any other card I've used before & I know what I'm doing. This product is not for professional use!!

3.0 out of 5 stars "KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional COMPACT FLASH CARD CF 600X 90MB/s Extreme Speed UDMA 6 RAW 32 GB", 9 May 2013
Tested the Flash card for a festival and the performance was poor. A few video recording stopped half way and lost some of the file when transferring across to computer.But good on taking pictures.After this experience I need to upgrade.

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed on first use, 1 July 2014
I bought this card in late January with a view to shooting raw video on my 5D Mark iii.

I still haven't installed ML but I thought I'd use the card anyway. A format error flashed on screen but the card seemed to function fine. I was shooting clips from a concert at the time so I just carried on.

I checked the CF card a week later and the card is completely corrupt and I have lost all the data. I have a UDMA7 card reader and have had no problems with my other CF cards from different high profile brands.

I will not buy Komputer Bay cards ever again. A hard lesson learnt!

1.0 out of 5 stars Card had a serious error after less than 3 days' usage!, 7 Aug 2013
I ordered this card in late June of this year with the intent of using it on my Canon 7D to take shots on Safari. Obviously, its not a very high end card, but I was expecting a minimum level of performance from it. While using it in the camera, it functioned okay. The buffer speed was low, but I guess this was to be expected. However, a day after returning from Safari, when I entered the card into the camera, it displayed an error which said it could not be read and asked me to format it. I wondered initially whether some of the pins in my camera had been damaged but it read by 16GB Sandisk CF card just fine.

After returning from my trip, I handed the card to several data recovery experts, but they all said the same thing - it had somehow been corrupted and the data on the card (over 850 RAW photos from safari) was not recoverable. Needless to say, this was absolutely devastating for me. I see no logical explanation as to why the card would have been corrupted. Especially considering the fact that I was using 2 other 16GB Sandisk CF cards and they were exposed to the same conditions as this one. My advice would be to shell out the extra £20 and get a Sandisk card instead. This is the last time I experiment with a lesser known brand. I will never be purchasing any Komputerbay products again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality control., 26 May 2013
N. Raymond (UK) - See all my reviews
Now returning my second card that failed to meet the advertised Min 100MB/second sequential write speed.
Repeated benchmarking revealed much, much lower performance at around 46mbps.

Great price but buyer beware as these two were unfortunately unfit for intended purpose.

5.0 out of 5 stars KOMPUTERBAY 64GB 5D MARKiii, 3 Jun 2014
In my opinion It's well worth the gamble. I bought the 64GB card for my 5D Mark iii and I've noticed that the card is FAST. I have heard complaints about the speed of these cards but from my own experience and what I've read about these cards, the 64GB is the fastest.
I have had no issues with corruption of data. I only ever format my cards in camera and only use the latest 3.0 usb card readers.