4.0 out of 5 stars (64GB )Fast card - Great for raw video
I now have two of these cards (64GB) and was prompted to purchase them after Magic Lantern unleashed the raw video capabilities of the Canon 5D MKIII.

Published 17 months ago by Ali Holloway

1.0 out of 5 stars As useful as a miniskirt at the North Pole
Bought 21/12/2013, received 23/12/2013, initiated return process 27/12/2013.

The card worked fine (and FAST!) for a few days, until... I found corrupted photos!

So I ran h2testw and found 18MB data lost. The next time I ran, 112 MB data was lost!

Published 11 months ago by T T Nguyen

1.0 out of 5 stars As useful as a miniskirt at the North Pole, 27 Dec 2013
This review is from: KOMPUTERBAY 128GB Professional COMPACT FLASH CARD CF 1050X WRITE 100MB/S READ 160MB/S Extreme Speed UDMA 7 RAW 128 GB (Accessory)
Bought 21/12/2013, received 23/12/2013, initiated return process 27/12/2013.

Now barely 4 days later, it took 10+ minutes to write ONE photo in the camera. Even my 10-year-old SD beats that time by a comfortable margin.

Putting it in my PC basically hangs it as Windows tries to read the card (in vain due to all the corrupted data).

Now let's hope Amazon refund me my money. >_< I promise to stick to Lexar or Sandisk from now on. -_-

A bit more background:

If you are not familiar with h2testw, it's a widely used tool to test card integrity (e.g. to detect counterfeit cards). It simply writes data to the card and verifies the written data to ensure no data lost. Very simple but elegant concept.

The behaviour of this Komputerbay CF is similar to some "replacement" crap eBay memory cards. I suspect very low quality memory chip (probably Lexar rejects) was used which die relatively quickly. The "hope" is that the card would fail catastrophically after the warranty / return period is over. If you take a few photos a week, it MAY last you a bit more than a year. If you go 600 in half a day like I do... oh well... should have known better...

So read the positive reviews with a grain of salt (or a whole jar of salt in my opinion). It may not have failed yet but it probably will... soon... like now...

1.0 out of 5 stars Can cause a very expensive repair to your camera!, 19 Nov 2013
G. Hamilton "Hooked on Rock" (Kesgrave, Suffolk United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
First time I went to use this card on my Canon EOS 7D it failed to work. I removed it and replaced it with another which did the same. Thinking my camera was to blame, I sent it to an authorised Canon repairer who told me one of the pins that engage into the memory card had been pushed in and that a faulty card could well be the cause. I was advised to examine all my cards. Sure enough, this card was to blame. A minute fragment was missing next to one of the pin holes. This had come off the body of the card, fell into the hole and on inserting the card, pushed one of the reader pins down into the camera causing a costly repair. They are cheap and nasty and had I have bought a decent brand such as Sandisc, I would have saved money by not have to pay for the damage this card caused. AVOID - THEY ARE NOT A QUALITY CARD

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely disappointed with this product., 13 Aug 2013
I bought this card for a Canon XF100 camcorder, after five minutes of recording the card could no longer cope with the data-rate. A Transcend 400x card has no such problem. Clearly 600x is a misrepresentation. The price seems too good to be true, it is. I looked at the method of getting a refund, and gave up hope. Most would never reach the limits of this card, so would not see the deception. I'm angry with myself for being taken in.

4.0 out of 5 stars (64GB )Fast card - Great for raw video, 30 Jun 2013
Ali Holloway (West Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

What is important is that both cards I have received have worked with no issues from day one and continue to perform flawlessly. After a little research into these cards it appears that one of my cards has the slower SM2236AB controller, however this card will still give sustained write speeds of around 94MB/s which is enough to write continuous 1080p raw @ 25fps with the ML firmware.

The cards fit perfectly into all CF card slots I've used in camera and on card readers. They format as you'd expect any drive to (exFAT formatting for the 5D MKIII is great). The read an write speeds, although never as good as suppliers state, are fast enough to satisfy the most demanding shoots. In both photo and video modes these cards have never let me down. I have not lost any data on these cards as of this time and have been shooting with them every day since I purchased them.

I would advise 64GB to be the perfect size for raw video as they are faster than the 32GB and 128GB cards and offer enough storage for most work - I wouldn't recommend shooting raw in a docu environment as you'll chew through data in no time. That's a no brainer!

To confirm, both my cards will shoot continuous 1080p @ 23.976p, 24p, 25p raw video without breaking a sweat. I can also get 25p from the 3x crop too most of the time, but this result changes with each build. Bear in mind that depending which ML hack (at this stage - things change everyday with ML) you use can determine whether or not you need to "warm up" the card/camera by running off a quick video with skipped frames. I'd suggest reading the ML forum regarding this, but as of the latest (27th June) build I don't have to warm up the card/camera.

I'd recommend these cards to anyone that needs a fast card, wants to save themself a whole chunk of cash and wants to dabble in ML raw video. They do everything I want them to.

Edit: My faster card (SM2236AC) allows me to shoot 1920x1280 at 24p continuous almost every time and when I select 25p the firmware states I have about 2000 frames (however I have recorded past this and not had any skipped frames). ML firmware states the card is writing around 100MB/s at this resolution and frame rate.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed, 16 May 2013
I lost an entire batch of someones wedding photos on this card. I had to pay for data recovery to retrieve the pics. Thankfully I got all back, but at a cost - I was not impressed! It's never happened on any other card I've used before & I know what I'm doing. This product is not for professional use!!

3.0 out of 5 stars "KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional COMPACT FLASH CARD CF 600X 90MB/s Extreme Speed UDMA 6 RAW 32 GB", 9 May 2013
Tested the Flash card for a festival and the performance was poor. A few video recording stopped half way and lost some of the file when transferring across to computer.But good on taking pictures.After this experience I need to upgrade.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great card, excellent performance at a decent price, 28 Oct 2014
I had previously bought the 64GB version of the 1000x Komputerbay card after reading up on the Magic Lantern software for the Canon 5DMK3 DSLR, these cards seemingly giving consistent performance to enable the recording of 14bit RAW video at data rates of about 85mb/s. This card performed flawlessly, though at the time I did chicken out of installing the ML software in the end. Regardless this is a fanatstic card, I shoot a lot of wildlife photography and on a trip to the Isles of Scilly this card was a godsend, It is able to empty the camera buffer at a sufficient rate to enable continuous shooting in RAW so you do not miss anything.

Fast forward and a few months back the Magic Lantern software reached a point where it could be uninstalled properly, and I had the courage to install. Again the 64GB card was able to keep up with the high data rate of RAW video, so when I had noticed the 128GB was under £100 I took a chance. This card too has performed consistently, even though some have said the higher capacity versions sometimes do not live up to expectation.

In terms of buying I had no problems the card was received in time and suitably packaged.

5.0 out of 5 stars KOMPUTERBAY 64GB 5D MARKiii, 3 Jun 2014
In my opinion It's well worth the gamble. I bought the 64GB card for my 5D Mark iii and I've noticed that the card is FAST. I have heard complaints about the speed of these cards but from my own experience and what I've read about these cards, the 64GB is the fastest.
I have had no issues with corruption of data. I only ever format my cards in camera and only use the latest 3.0 usb card readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - Top Notch, 23 April 2014
Listen up folks, don't be afraid to use KOMPUTERBAY. Their CF card I bought is on a par with cards 3 times their price!
I was a little anxious not having heard of them, but I am glad I decided to buy from them.
The card came very quickly, well packaged and it works very well in my EOS 7D.
I HIGHLY reccommend KOMPUTERBAY

5.0 out of 5 stars Good card, 18 Oct 2013
I'm not geeky enough to sit and measure times; for me it was a matter of whether the card was stable, reliable and fast enought to bring the best burst rate out of my 7D.

Passes with flying colours and outperformed the Lexar gold cards that have previously been my pride and joy.