on 21 December 2013
I like the challenges of hill climbing & go out of my way to find hills, I am not a young lean racing machine, in fact I am 50 & weigh 16 stone, I use to be the last up the hill, when out with my club, but now I pace my hill climbing, so I get left behind at the beginning of the hill & pass members on the way up, so now I am not always the last up the hill.

Rebecca's book has helped me & given me ideas on how to improve.
on 1 August 2014
I persevered with been over geared and thought I would one day get stronger and quicker. I was wrong and then started avoiding hilly tough routes. By following a few tips from this book I changed my gearing and technique and within two weeks have started setting pb's on my local climbs. To be honest I haven't even started to see the improvement in muscle power but the technique has made some tortuous routes more enjoyable.
If you are a good climber already I don't know what you could glean from this book to improve. However if like me you changed routes to avoid climbs, read it, absorb the information and get out on your bike whatever the gradient and enjoy it. Remember why we took up the sport in the first place!!
on 15 August 2013
Useful but a bit too wordy and in some parts too technical but for beginners gives a framework for tackling hills one may be apprehensive about.
on 15 January 2014
Rebecca Ramsay's message is simple - If you want to improve at hill climbing get out there and climb hills - there is no substitute. There are many different types of hills long, medium and short with varying gradients and ten different workouts are given. A lot of it you may have surmised yourself, but it is good to have it confirmed. At around the same price as a pint of beer, excellent value.
on 11 July 2013
This book is a well written training book that will appeal to all levels of cyclists who are looking to improve their hill climbing.

The advice is simple to understand and yet at the same time very comprehensive. Rebecca's writing style provides interest and humour and provides good advice/expert guidance on each element that lead to improvements in your performance.

Fitness, Techniques, training sessions, Equipment, Pyschology, Diet and Weight are all covered. In each section there are many tips and hints that are practical and very useful.

I finished this book two days ago and started the training sessions about 7 days ago and so it is early days but I can confirm that the sessions and recovery times stated are accurately described and I believe that I will see improvements.

I am re-reading this book because I enjoyed it and finally I just wanted to confirm that I learnt a lot and I am actively trying the tips out. Recommended to anyone who rides a bike.
on 17 June 2014
An excellent read ! Very readable writing style, analysis of simple but very true common problems faced by most keen amateur cyclists. Most important the advice when implemented really worked and I am climbing wonderfully. And the rest is now down to just practice.
on 4 November 2013
This is a great book for anyone interested in improving the hill climbing and wondering why they struggle up hills, don't believe the hype it's all about putting in the miles and Rebecca explains how to best achieve it.

If you really want to climb like a pro ready Rebecca's book and be prepared to add some hill training sessions to your routine, I've done over 100,000 ft of climbing this year over 2000 miles and which I'd read it earlier.

Rebecca has also been kind enough to answer a few of my questions over Facebook so if you want more input she seems happy to give you some personal input. Maybe next year I'll go on holiday to Switzerland and join her on her training camps.
on 1 October 2015
I think this book has lots of good advice about cycling in general. Having increased my climbing considerably the last few months I was keen to learn tips etc.

This book is more about winning and competing. Get to the top first - really good advice if that's your thing but for me not quite what I have in mind. I cycle alone so just want to improve my PB and learn the best way to climb that hill.

I enjoyed the useful side of it, diet, injuries etc and I like the way the book is simple to understand - no complex tech stuff - bring a woman this suited me!

Definitely buy if you take part in lots of Events and competitions - hills in every ride so useful for all.
on 3 July 2013
After purchasing this Kindle book here in France, I've just spent a most enjoyable couple of hours reading it, and there's lots I'll be going through again in detail over the coming weeks and carefully trying out your many tips.

I had no idea that there was so much to climbing, and you've included a really outstanding chapter on descending too.

For those that wish to improve their ability and also deepen their understanding of both climbing and descending, (and who doesn't!!)this is surely THE book! The answers are here, clearly and simply laid out ... and at an excellent price too.

Very highly recommended.
on 2 January 2014
I thought this book ..covers many aspects and is well worth the purchase.
For all levels ..this book will provide a good level of info for not only training for hills but for diet .