5.0 out of 5 stars Amusing, 23 July 2013
This review is from: The Queen of Scots Mystery (Pitkirtly Mysteries Book 6) (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoy these quirky Scottish mysteries as they're light and fluffy and an amusing way to pass a few hours. In this one Amaryllis is posted missing, either on holiday or assignment, when the action starts and it is left to Christopher to try and sort it out. The action in this case being a dead body in the pub's cellar.
The plot is silly as it is meant to be and the writing has a light, amusing touch, both of which, I imagine, are harder to do than it may appear so hats off to Ms Peartree for making it look effortless.
This is a stand alone novel and works as such but you would get more of the references if you have read the back catalogue.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Queen of Scots Mystery, 16 July 2013
Joo "kuforum" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This is the latest instalment from the Pitkirtly gang.

By now, I feel I know this bunch, but as usual, I'm kept on the edge of my seat wondering what's going to happen. The group of characters gets larger each time as characters introduced in previous books get a bit more than bit parts.

Again, the story revolves around Christopher and as usual, he's a bit clueless as to what's happening. A murder has taken place and Ameryllis is miffed that she's not around to sort things out.

I enjoy reading this series as I feel I'm part of the family and again I wasn't disappointed. This is another cracker of a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 4 July 2013
having read all of the Pitkirtly series I was pleased to discover that this book is another fantastic read it goes along at a fair pace and the characters are all good, apart from the baddies of course. I am already looking forward to the next in this series.
staying in Fife myself it is good to read about the towns/places mentioned in the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant story., 20 July 2013
I love this series of books.

I didn't understand why Amaryllis was locked up in Edinburgh. What had it got to do with the plot?
Is this something that ex spies get to do when they've retired?
Other than that, it was a great read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quirky Village Mystery, 12 July 2014
A sort of meting of Miss Marple and Nancy Drew, gently matured (not aged!) with eccentric flourishes.
I have not read any others but will do. Light hearted, and light on the mystery/clues/complexity needed for a classic whodunit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alan, 30 May 2014
I've read 5 books in the series now and I wish there were a dozen more.I'll feel at a loss without my nightly fix of life in Pitkirtly.Such subtle humour is hard to find.So if your looking for a gentle funny book that you can't put down try starting with the first in the series and you're guaranteed to want to read them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dotty characters, at the seaside, 30 April 2014
This is a particular genre of detective story, with humour throughout and an ensemble cast delivering an entertaining escapist read. The characters develop within the series of stories, and there is more than a hint of the peculiar in each story line.
The main character has a backstory that is a joy, and her foil is suitably 'old womanish' as a counterpoint!

5.0 out of 5 stars Adventure and fun in Pitkirtly., 7 Mar 2014
I love the characters - I am sure I know them all. Living in Scotland I know the grumpy old school teacher, the lady with the knitted hats, the tea and toast and tablet routine. I often laugh out loud as I can picture them 'falling into' adventures unexpectedly. I especially like the idea of the group being the 'famous five' as that is just what they are like. The main two characters are such opposites, but they say opposites attract!

5.0 out of 5 stars Queen of Scots, 6 Mar 2014
G. M. Mellor (staffordshire uk) - See all my reviews
yet another great book by cecilia Peartree just love the patiently mysteries, once started very hard to put down, can't wait for the next book

4.0 out of 5 stars An amusing and intriguing read, 6 Mar 2014
I Like the mix of characters and their relationships. The mystery is intriguing but it is the mix of the two elements that make these such a good read.