Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.49

on 4 February 2014
I read the blurb and the positive reviews before purchasing this book and it appeared to be exactly the sort of novel I enjoy. However, none of the reviews made it apparent that the 'strong female character' is subjected to systematic physical abuse by the central male character. Is that OK because she loves him? Yes, I know he has 'issues' - his father rejected and abused him, he never learned how to demonstrate affection etc etc. Equally disturbing was the attitude of the other members of the group - whilst not condoning the violence they clearly consider she 'asks for it' by not letting a subject drop. Indeed, when he breaks a promise never to hit her again she is blamed for making him break a promise!!! Where is Jeremy Kyle when you need him???
I am sure there are some who find this acceptable, however I felt compelled to write this so that unwary readers. (like myself!) would be forewarned.
66 comments|96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 January 2014
This has to be a prime contender for the most badly written drivel I've ever read !
Set in a medieval landscape, albeit a fantasy one, the author clearly has no knowledge to make it any way convincing.
Going shopping in town ? Why not have your goods delivered to hotel - Sorry 'Inn' - reception desk !
Want somewhere to leave your horse ? Not at the the inn but at convenient building marked 'STABLES' in the middle of town !
As for living in high mountain caves well it was never explained who gathered the unlimited supplies of food, water and firewood. Or how fires can burn without fumes or smoke ! Or how extensive wardrobes of clean clothes somehow were present - maybe they were built in !
Description of scenery and surroundings is strangely (particularly for this genre) almost non-existant and what there is is so utterly bland it imparts nothing.
Character depiction is similarly bland and simplistic and mostly without any depth. The main characters themselves come across as quite childish.
The plot, though it started out with a good idea, I quickly found became plodding and tedious.
In fact the book became so dull & the writing so poor quality that I admit I never managed to finish it.
I cannot believe the numerous glowing reviews - in fact some of them on re-reading appear suspiciously similar.
Take my advice - don't waste your time or money on this book - there's many, many far better and deserving authors out there.
44 comments|28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 February 2014
it was such a fantastic book i did not put it down! (much to my families displeasure when i looked like a zombie the next day). eleanor is a strong character who captivated me and was definitely a person i could respect. SF Burgess is now officially in my top "favourite authors" collection.
on 16 December 2013
Terrific, couldn't stop reading. Well written, wonderfully descriptive. I never lost interest and became completely antisocial until I finished it. Hope the next one is published soon,a definite for my wish list.
on 22 March 2014
Enjoyed the storyline and the basic concepts. But the descriptions of mental agony, guilt, rage, etc were a bit over the top, and got in the way of the plot. Ended a bit abruptly, too.
on 29 December 2013
Not my usual genre but it was recommended by someone who knows the author. Enjoyed it so much I am now reading it again to catch the details I missed the first time around in my eagerness to find out what happened next! Can't wait for the sequel. I do hope the author writes quickly! Excellent that she lives in my home city too.
on 24 January 2014
A well written hard to put down book. The story line flows from page to page I can't wait for the next book.
on 29 December 2013
This book is un-put-downable (if there is such a word). Very, very good. Hope there will be a sequel to it.
on 21 April 2014
This is a very very good book, I couldn't put it down but didn't want it to end, this to my mind is the ingredients of an excellent read. I hope the next in the series is as good Its called Will and will be out at the end of the year I can't wait to read it.
on 20 February 2014
Great book - I had to drag myself away from it to get back to work. One of those books that you want to know how it ends, but don't want it to finish. Hope there will be a follow up, but will certainly look to see what else this author has written.