1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth a try at 2!, 23 July 2013
This review is from: How to Learn and Memorize Russian Vocabulary ... Using a Memory Palace Specifically Designed for the Russian Language (Magnetic Memory Series) (Kindle Edition)
I have been learning Russian off and on for about a year and know a fair amount with still much more to learn so anything that helps the process is well worth a try.

I must admit I was sceptical whilst reading the book. It took me about 2 hours to read, but im not the fastest reader going so it wasn't over long. There were a few bad english grammar mistakes in the book and 1 paragraph that simply made no sense because of them, which I found a little ironic!

That said I persevered. I did find making your palaces (it will become clear when you read the book) with enough stations quite difficult but once you get your head around that it gets easier.

Basically you put an image of anything really, and it can be something really far out in a room of your palace, which can be your home for example with the stations being different points in your house, and link it with a Russian word. One example is the russian for confectionary which sounds like confetti or confeddi I put in the first room with a mate who has just got married throwing confetti made of chocolates. You might find it hard to remember the word, but the picture of my friend doing this is easier to remember. I have tried word and image association before and find it works but with this system having a palace with stations keeps things in order a little better, as the author states, we can usually remember places much easier than other things. In my opinion the palace and stations act like a filing cabinet in your memory.

I learnt 10 words this way and when I woke up this morning i must admit I remembered all of them. Its still early days for me and this system but you can't even get a pint for 2 quid now so it's nothing money wise and knowledge is everything.

I would really reccomend giving this a try, if it doesn't work for you it is after all only 2, the beauty of it is that once you have read the book and if it works for you, you can use it for absolutely anything, from remembering your shopping list, to the seven natural wonders of the world!

I hope this review has helped and you give the book a go, im glad I did! :0)